What Is BRY97?

Reads 1550 • Replies 6 • Started Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:42:45 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:42 Tue 1/7/2014

I know it is Danstar’s "American West Coast Ale Yeast" and here is the marketing blub:

BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast was selected from the Siebel Institute Culture Collection and is used by a number of commercial breweries to produce different types of ale. It is a classic American ale yeast that offers the convenience and long shelf life of dried yeast along with high quality standards and excellent performance.

Quick, clean, and well-attenuating are the chief properties of this yeast. It is most comparable to the "Chico"-style strains. In our experience, this strain stays clean at relatively high temperatures (up to 78F), and flocculation is marginally better than other "Chico" strains. Due to the slightly higher flocculation tendencies, it does slightly reduce bittering levels in the finished beer.

So, is this another version of Wyeast 1056 American Ale / White Labs WLP001 California Ale / Safale US-05 ?

The question of being Pacman has been raised and dismissed. I’ve seen people claim it’s a beast that takes off immediately, and that it has a problem with lag times.

So what is it?

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:49 Tue 1/7/2014

CLevar
places 23 º 22:22 Tue 1/7/2014

Originally posted by bitbucket
Linky.

Huh. Haven’t heard of it. I’d be interested in hearing others’ opinions!

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 22:25 Tue 1/7/2014

Give it a shot and let us know!

Chico- Sierra Nevada, if I had to guess. Maybe a clone of their yeast?

artcore1980
beers 38 º places 3 º 13:55 Thu 1/9/2014

I’ve used it in a Black IPA (or India Black Ale is I’ve called it). Also tasted some other examples of this strain next to the same beer fermented with us05.
The bry beers were also clean in yeast profile but biggest difference was a fuller body, more malty than the us05.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:20 Thu 1/9/2014

Originally posted by artcore1980
I’ve used it in a Black IPA (or India Black Ale is I’ve called it). Also tasted some other examples of this strain next to the same beer fermented with us05.
The bry beers were also clean in yeast profile but biggest difference was a fuller body, more malty than the us05.

That is encouraging, going to give it a shot.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer