What’s your favorite IPA?

Reads 6115 • Replies 55 • Started Monday, August 11, 2014 5:15:35 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 18:43 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by whaleman
Sculpin

Great one. I tried Big Eye before Sculpin and it was good enough I figured it was the better and Sculpin was just gonna be overhyped but I was wrong.

My favorite these days is Ale Syndicate Municipal IPA. It reminds me quite a lot of Sierra Nevadas hop profile--even though it is a different hop, crystal rather than cascade--but maybe a little less doughy and thick. I buy about a six pack a week.

If we might include session IPAs in this thread, I will go w/ Carton Boat beer. It is incredibly hoppy to the point where it puts seriously all but the best five percent of IIPAs to shame but is low gravity dry and very drinkable. I cannot think of an IPA more up my alley.

ReeceG
beers 53 º 18:52 Mon 8/11/2014

My go to is gold nugget from TGB it’s on tap at a bar/grill I frequent, otherwise bottles/cans I love surly overrated, both are just juicy hoppy IPAs

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 19:19 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by whaleman
Sculpin

A classic. I practically forgot about it since I don’t see it down here. We got it in Jax, but always old. Ballast Point does distribute here in Valdosta, but only a few core sixers and they don’t sell well, so I’m scared to buy them.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 19:22 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by HuskerTan
Cigar City Humidor IPA no doubt. It was a beer in my first ever beer box from free beer week, as well as my first Cigar City and even first Florida beer. Lots of grapefruit which I liked and honestly the first IPA that I really appreciated and thought I want more. It’s still one of my top rated IPA’s

Man I loved that beer the first couple times I had it. rdixon77 and I have deduced that I recommended that beer to him when he was in Tallahassee and I was working at Proof/Liquor Loft... Years before we truly met and became friends. He loved it.

Lately their cedar beers come off too wood forward to me and remind me of salmon planks... an unfortunate association when sipping a brew.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 19:36 Mon 8/11/2014

The ones I buy most often these days are Ballast Point’s Big Eye, and Pizza Port’s Swami. Big Eye is awesome when its fresh and its a good value at $4.39 a bomber at my local grocery store.

My highest rated is Sculpin, but its double the price of Big Eye so I don’t usually buy it.

Alpine’s Duet and Nelson are favorites but local distribution has stopped, so I have to make an out-of-the-way trip to the brewery to get it--which seldom happens.

Alesmith IPA is great on tap at the tasting room but the bottled stuff seems to have a bit to much caramel for me. Not sure if the recipe has evolved or my taste buds have.

Mother Earth’s Boo Koo is really decent and I buy that whenever I want a special treat.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 19:38 Mon 8/11/2014

Hard to think of favorite overall, and probably embarrassing to look at my ratings...but Epic Escape to Colorado is probably the best IPA being made (and put into reasonably priced six-packs of cans!) in Colorado right now.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 19:41 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by StefanSD
My highest rated is Sculpin, but its double the price of Big Eye so I don’t usually buy it.

Yeah, same way here. I get a sixer like once a year as a special treat. Otherwise I pick up a bottle if I got an extra spot in a mixer sixer and it is in the rack.

DCLawyer
beers 3007 º places 236 º 20:58 Mon 8/11/2014

Not the best, but I tend to buy Racer 5 and Hop Nosh pretty regularly

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 20:59 Mon 8/11/2014

Man, you guys are making me want to re-visit the Big Eye sixers we get here, but I doubt their freshness. I will have to investigate!

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 21:13 Mon 8/11/2014

If I could have any IPA in the same situation it would be the Alpine IPAs I had @ Alpine.

TG pseudo sue and gold nugget are awesome. Drank a growler golden nugg after being a pallbearer for a person who meant the world to me so that is special.

Pliny the Elder has been mind blowing for me at times.

Too many to name.