Wheat beer taste after primary

Reads 1057 • Replies 5 • Started Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:17:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TirpChirp
beers 17 º 11:17 Tue 4/8/2014

Hello everyone, just bottled a wheat beer. First time brewing actually, it was an american wheat with DME and a little bit of camomile and sweet orange peel that i made in to a tea and added at the same time as the priming sugar (both were cooled to room temperature and covered to keep sanitized) . I tasted the sample I used to take the FG. It was very ’thin’ ’watery’ and had no alcohol taste. My FG was 1.010, OG was 1.050 which was very close to the recipe giving me an ABV of about 5.1. The color was also very close to what the recipe said it would be 6.2 SRM (which is dark for a wheat in my opinion, more like a dunkelweizen color).

Fermented for 8 days, Krauzen wasn’t there when I took lid of bucket off. Average temperature during fermentation was about 68 degrees F.

So in conclusion, I feel like I followed the recipe well, got the right ABV and color and let it ferment long enough…. so is it normal to taste thin and watery like it did?

Bless you, to anyone who read this whole rant.

Thank you!

CLevar
places 23 º 11:34 Tue 4/8/2014

It might be pretty tough to tell exactly what a beer is going to be like when it is cold and has carbonation. I know it was for me for the first dozen or so batches...or more, and I still don’t know for sure when it’s the first time with a recipe, etc.

I’d get it into bottles, relax for a few weeks, toss ’em in the fridge, and then pass judgement.

CLevar
places 23 º 11:38 Tue 4/8/2014

Oh, and when you taste after adding the priming sugar, you can really get fooled. That sugar is going to add a lot of sweetness that wont be there in the final product.

TirpChirp
beers 17 º 12:01 Tue 4/8/2014

Originally posted by CLevar
Oh, and when you taste after adding the priming sugar, you can really get fooled. That sugar is going to add a lot of sweetness that wont be there in the final product.

good point, I didn’t even think of that. I’m going to let them condition about 2 1/2-3 weeks and see how it turns out.

Thank you!

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:16 Tue 4/8/2014

Originally posted by TirpChirp
It was very ’thin’ ’watery’ and had no alcohol taste. My FG was 1.010, OG was 1.050 which was very close to the recipe giving me an ABV of about 5.1.

No alcohol taste is not a problem for me. 1.010 is tending to light bodied, but you need to carb it and chill it to get an accurate perception. I’m guessing you should relax and have a homebrew (or something commercial) while you wait.

Originally posted by TirpChirp
the recipe said it would be 6.2 SRM (which is dark for a wheat in my opinion, more like a dunkelweizen color

A dunkel will be about twice as dark. Coppery vs. golden.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 19:51 Tue 4/8/2014

These guys know a lot more than me but I agree. Relax, don’t worry, have a homebrew.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer