Which courier when posting beer (abroad)?

Reads 13751 • Replies 22 • Started Friday, February 6, 2015 2:37:48 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 12:02 Sun 2/8/2015

No problems thru transglobal for bottles from me, but probably not insured for breakage. Good customer service tho and covers non EU too

olliejobbins
beers 1576 º places 33 º 16:03 Sun 2/8/2015

Thanks for the further replies. I am going to phone a couple of other places tomorrow to get clarify some matters but it looks like I’ll first try transglobalexpress (making them aware that not just DHL accept alcohol) and likewise for interparcel with UPS.
Failing that, I’ll use ipostparcels and accept a lack of any coverage.

Cheers for the replies and I’ll update here if I think I find something useful

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:15 Mon 2/9/2015

So you have to fill out forms declaring what you’re shipping withIN the EU? Retarded. I can send a 31.5 kg box (theoretically nearly 30 x 50 cl bottles) from Germany to the UK for around 42€ with DHL, IIRC. And being within the EU, I don’t have to fill out any forms about what’s in it.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 02:31 Mon 2/9/2015

Originally posted by olliejobbins
Thanks for the further replies. I am going to phone a couple of other places tomorrow to get clarify some matters but it looks like I’ll first try transglobalexpress (making them aware that not just DHL accept alcohol) and likewise for interparcel with UPS.
Failing that, I’ll use ipostparcels and accept a lack of any coverage.

Cheers for the replies and I’ll update here if I think I find something useful

i think its more "don’t ask, don’t tell" so I wouldn advertise the fact with transglobal because they know nout about it, parcels collected directly by courier. some do have to be collected from business premises only BTW

Scopey
beers 24213 º places 728 º 02:32 Mon 2/9/2015

Originally posted by Erlangernick
So you have to fill out forms declaring what you’re shipping withIN the EU? Retarded. I can send a 31.5 kg box (theoretically nearly 30 x 50 cl bottles) from Germany to the UK for around 42€ with DHL, IIRC. And being within the EU, I don’t have to fill out any forms about what’s in it.
Not if you ship using the post office/parcelforce anyway.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:23 Mon 2/9/2015

Originally posted by Scopey

So it’s just a matter of DHL charging *way* more to ship from the UK than from Germany?

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 05:29 Mon 2/9/2015

So it’s just a matter of DHL charging *way* more to ship from the UK than from Germany?

Old article but you get the picture.
http://www.rip-off.co.uk/archives/postalprices_30_04_04.htm

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:08 Tue 2/10/2015

Originally posted by chriso

Old article but you get the picture.
http://www.rip-off.co.uk/archives/postalprices_30_04_04.htm

Huh. Suppose it could just be an artifact of Germany being more of an exporting nation?

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 19:34 Tue 2/10/2015

I’ve had a short temping contract with Royal Mail. It wasn’t efficient. It wasn’t fun. Posting stuff here is very odd!

minutemat
beers 14700 º places 551 º 14:03 Wed 2/11/2015

Thanks to Sarky’s recommendation i used ipostparcels.co.uk / ukmail Sunday night. Despite an ETA for collection of 2pm Monday the driver arrived at 9:30am Monday morning. I hadnt printed off the address slip but he said he’d do it for me at the depot. He also gave me his driver discount code (20% off all this month)!

It arrived in Germany this afternoon. All in one piece. Nice & quick. Will be using them again.