Why so f...... difficult to search for Polish beers?

Reads 1497 • Replies 21 • Started Sunday, October 2, 2016 3:57:09 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Bryne
places 1618 º 03:57 Sun 10/2/2016

If I type "Wrezel" or Wrezel Summer Ale" I don’t find any beer here at Ratebeer. But, I had no problem finding the brewery and the beer at Untappd. Why does RateBeer make it so difficult to search for beer? I remember a couple of years ago when it was also impossible to search for the Danish brewery To Øl. How hard can it be to "allow" additional characters or diacritics. I guess this topic has been discussed before...
By the way, this is the right search: Wrężel Summer Ale

Marko
admin
beers 17890 º places 879 º 06:11 Sun 10/2/2016

I know how you feel. It’s been a known issue for years, but was never high priority for our coders, who pushed it due to other issues. I hope they find the time for it soon.

hawthorne00
beers 8476 º places 63 º 08:30 Sun 10/2/2016

Wouldn’t the obvious kludge work? Add the non fancy character name, make it an alias to the real name so it would just show up in a search.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 08:41 Sun 10/2/2016

Originally posted by hawthorne00
Wouldn’t the obvious kludge work? Add the non fancy character name, make it an alias to the real name so it would just show up in a search.

"obvious kludge?" please clarify.

Marko
admin
beers 17890 º places 879 º 09:03 Sun 10/2/2016

Another obvious thing to do would be to make the "fancy" (if you’re anglocentric) character interchangeable search-wise with the most similar "non-fancy" character. Adding hundreds of aliases when it can be sorted out without that makes no sense to me.

humlelala
beers 1377 º places 89 º 09:27 Sun 10/2/2016

Originally posted by Marko
but was never high priority for our coders, who pushed it due to other issues.

I imagine the number of searches being made on RateBeer daily must be a rather high percentage of the total number of transactions on the site. Seems to me like a rather good principle for prioritising functionality but what do I know.

hawthorne00
beers 8476 º places 63 º 09:38 Sun 10/2/2016

Originally posted by StefanSD

"improvised, inelegant, yet effective solution that easily comes to mind"
So at present, searching for "Zywiec porter" gets you nothing because the real name is
Żywiec Porter . An inelegant solution would be to allow the name "Zywiec Porter" so it would show up in search, but alias it to the real name.

Marko I appreciate your objections (although if it’s any help, after my Aunt had been in Australia for a few weeks she asked about these big cities Hwy and Fwy she’d seen so many signs to them - never imagining that w isn’t a vowel in Australia) but if nothing has happened to open up the character set on search for a while maybe another approach might be helpful. Or maybe the relevant admins will pop up to say why what I’m saying is hard too.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 09:49 Sun 10/2/2016

So at present, searching for "Zywiec porter" gets you nothing because the real name is
Żywiec Porter . An inelegant solution would be to allow the name "Zywiec Porter" so it would show up in search, but alias it to the real name.

Marko I appreciate your objections (although if it’s any help, after my Aunt had been in Australia for a few weeks she asked about these big cities Hwy and Fwy she’d seen so many signs to them - never imagining that w isn’t a vowel in Australia) but if nothing has happened to open up the character set on search for a while maybe another approach might be helpful. Or maybe the relevant admins will pop up to say why what I’m saying is hard too.

I know what a kludge is. I thought you were advocating that the user doing searching could kludge, and so I wasn’t getting that. But yeah, the db engine could be manipulated to kludge.

hawthorne00
beers 8476 º places 63 º 10:24 Sun 10/2/2016

I know what a kludge is. I thought you were advocating that the user doing searching could kludge, and so I wasn’t getting that. But yeah, the db engine could be manipulated to kludge.
Ah, but you’re right! Teh Google knoweth. I put "ratebeer zywiec porter" into google and it found right page.

Travlr
beers 33915 º places 4598 º 10:57 Sun 10/2/2016

I did not know what a kludge is, but I do now.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 11:40 Sun 10/2/2016

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Wrezel is now resolving with a fix for the ę and ż characters