World’s Most Northern Brewery: Svalbard Bryggeri

Reads 3115 • Replies 25 • Started Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:25:22 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 10:02 Fri 7/24/2015

Originally posted by GlasgowTAD
Originally posted by humlelala
I know this is OT but I followed the link that shows beers tagged with #animals and at the top of the list it says these beers are brewed with animal ingredients.

#1 of the list is Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. I imagine the reason why this beer is tagged is because of the use of the word bacon in the name but surely there was no bacon harmed in the making of this beer, right?

You used the word bacon, which implies that the animal has already been harmed.
I once met a farmer with a three-legged pig. When I asked why the pig has three legs, the farmer said that this was the best pig he ever had - it alerted him to a fire in his barn once, saving the lives of all the animals inside. I said that doesn’t explain why the pig has three legs.
So the farmer told me the pig saved his life too, once, squealing loudly to alert his wife when he fell off a ladder and got knocked unconscious.
And I said it still doesn’t explain the 3 legs. The farmer said, "Well, a great pig like that, you don’t want to eat him all at once."

The moral of the story is that you can have your bacon, and still have your pig.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16534 º places 792 º 10:12 Fri 7/24/2015

Originally posted by Travlr
they visited Greenland at least three times, but missed all of West Africa, Madagascar and Sri Lanka. Hopefully they’re still travling.

No, they’re about 90. Just went into assisted living and that’s why they had to sell their house of 49 years (to us). He broke his hip a few years ago so they’re pretty much done traveling.

But damn, Gene, they’ve been that many places and it’s not enough for you?! It was mostly not for work, either. They did this pretty much all on their own.

Antarctica twice, the northernmost reaches of Canada, Greenland a few times, a ton of remote Pacific islands, westernmost Russia (I think still USSR when they were there), Attu, Australian outback, Tristan da Cunha - they did some work.

They said they drank a lot of great wine and beer, but the only beer bottle left behind by the movers was a 20-year-old Steinlager (New Zealand).

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 11:02 Fri 7/24/2015

^^^they’ve made interesting choices, that was my only point. good on them for travling, you know I’m a fan of anyone who does more than go back and forth between their living room and the post office...

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 20:07 Fri 7/24/2015

Originally posted by Ungespundet
Originally posted by omhper
This is however the 2nd brewery to start in Svalbard. Barentsburg Brewery in the Russian mining town is however slightly to the south of Longyearbyen.

Indeed. At first I thought it was the one in Barentsburg but that was opened a couple of years ago. From what I read then it was purely for the tourists. Russians don’t drink anything under 40%. Besides, it would be a bit expensive for Russians. Their ship comes in only every 6 months, sometimes only once a year. And I do mean ship, literally.

Those who have no idea what Barentsburg looks like do check out a short video clip I made on an excursion. In person it seems far far more depressing. I liked Pyramiden more but that’s because it’s abandoned.

(This is summer in Longyearbyen, in case you didn’t know it used to be an arctic desert.)

I checked out the video, that was cool.

Tim