Worty Off-Flavours

Reads 2641 • Replies 13 • Started Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:46:26 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 22:20 Sun 1/4/2015

I wish I could offer advice but I have none. I am curious though why you are boiling ninety minutes if not for greater hop utilization or for higher gravity, which I assume is not an issue at 1.032. Just like that taste you get from a longer boil?

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 23:07 Sun 1/4/2015

Originally posted by Frank
I wish I could offer advice but I have none. I am curious though why you are boiling ninety minutes if not for greater hop utilization or for higher gravity, which I assume is not an issue at 1.032. Just like that taste you get from a longer boil?

You generally want to avoid perceptible levels of Dimethyl Sulfide (DMS), which is a sulfur compound produced during making of beer that most people experience as the aroma of cooked or creamed corn.

DMS is present to some degree in all beers. People can perceive DMS even at very low flavor thresholds but this ability (and the accompanying annoyance level) varies according to the individual. DMS is desirable at low levels in some beer styles but excessive levels of DMS will create a an off-flavor and aroma cooked corn.

All malt contains a chemical called S-Methyl Methionine (SMM) which is the DMS precursor. Very pale malts such as Pilsner tend to have somewhat higher SMM levels due to the very low temperatures used in kilning. This results in higher DMS production because heating the SMM present in pale malt will always produce some DMS.

To compensate for this when you’re using Pilsner Malt:
Boil the wort vigorously for 90 minutes or longer
Don’t cover your boil pot so the DMS can be dispersed
Rapidly cool your wort after the boil

Actually, you should always do the second two for a variety of reasons, and aging your beer also helps.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 03:28 Mon 1/5/2015

Originally posted by Frank

There are a number of benefits to a longer boil. DMS reduction is one, but it also improves stability, head retention and some other things.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer