Yeast Cultivation

Reads 2090 • Replies 12 • Started Monday, November 29, 2010 7:05:29 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 19:05 Mon 11/29/2010

Can anyone recommend any good books/threads?

Thanks.

rudolf
beers 2359 º places 104 º 19:08 Mon 11/29/2010

Originally posted by pellegjr

Thanks.

Its a very broad topic, but the new book Yeast: A Practical Guide to Fermentation by Chris White & Jamil Z. is quite exhaustive.

What are you looking to do? Harvest from dregs in a bottle? Wash yeast from one fermentation for re-use in another? Learn about how to make & keep yeast happy during fermentation?

-rudy

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 19:41 Mon 11/29/2010

Originally posted by rudolf

Thanks.

Its a very broad topic, but the new book Yeast: A Practical Guide to Fermentation by Chris White & Jamil Z. is quite exhaustive.

What are you looking to do? Harvest from dregs in a bottle? Wash yeast from one fermentation for re-use in another? Learn about how to make & keep yeast happy during fermentation?

-rudy

All of the above; just generally wanting to take more control over that aspect of the process. Would like to eventually cultivate my own strains.

Danko
03:30 Tue 11/30/2010

This is a great site, with the approach from a professional scientist:

http://www.alsand.com/beer/

It has helped me a lot when I did some intense and thorough inoculation and propagation of Rochefort yeast a couple of years ago.

As complex and detailed at it can become, it really is worth the extra work. I tend to utilize a lot of these methods even when brewing at home.

Cheers,

Danko

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 05:30 Tue 11/30/2010

Originally posted by rudolf

Thanks.

-rudy

Of note, that is Chris White, founder of White Labs. The book is pretty fantastic.

absolutesites
beers 2 º 06:12 Tue 11/30/2010

All of the above; just generally wanting to take more control over that aspect of the process. Would like to eventually cultivate my own strains.

Although I see no problem with reading more and gaining more knowledge about these processes, there’s no reason to unnecessarily overcomplicate things unless you REALLY want to do that.

Harvest from dregs in a bottle?

Make starter. Pour in dreggs. The end.

Just make sure that you know which strain(s) with which you are dealing so that you don’t get something for which you didn’t intend as your finished product.

Wash yeast from one fermentation for re-use in another?

Unless you’re trying to maintain a "pure culture", there is no reason to do this. Just save the yeast cake in a bottle in your fridge. Make sure to label it, of course, if you are going to do this with multiple strains. All that you have to do is make a starter beforehand and pitch the refrigerated yeast into it. Just make sure that the beer from which you saved the sample has COMPLETELY fermented. I’ve been doing this for years with no problem and have saved yeast cakes for more than a year and (as long as I made a starter beforehand) the beers always turned out well.

Learn about how to make & keep yeast happy during fermentation?

Make a big starter. Keep them within their optimum temperature ranges. The end.

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 16:58 Tue 11/30/2010

Originally posted by absolutesites

Although I see no problem with reading more and gaining more knowledge about these processes, there’s no reason to unnecessarily overcomplicate things unless you REALLY want to do that.

Harvest from dregs in a bottle?

Make starter. Pour in dreggs. The end.

Just make sure that you know which strain(s) with which you are dealing so that you don’t get something for which you didn’t intend as your finished product.

Wash yeast from one fermentation for re-use in another?

Unless you’re trying to maintain a "pure culture", there is no reason to do this. Just save the yeast cake in a bottle in your fridge. Make sure to label it, of course, if you are going to do this with multiple strains. All that you have to do is make a starter beforehand and pitch the refrigerated yeast into it. Just make sure that the beer from which you saved the sample has COMPLETELY fermented. I’ve been doing this for years with no problem and have saved yeast cakes for more than a year and (as long as I made a starter beforehand) the beers always turned out well.

Learn about how to make & keep yeast happy during fermentation?

Thanks for the helpful info, will try this process on Sunday’s batch.

Thanks also for the book suggestion, Rudy. Will definitely pick that one up.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 09:36 Wed 12/1/2010

I don’t think it is necessarily as simple as that, depending on what you mean by happy and so on. You can piss off yeast by making a big starter and can control the fermentation products through other variables (oxygenation levels, system pressure, alcohol, pH and so on). But, in a simple context, sure, big starter and optimum temperatures will largely define what the beer is like. As an aside, I’m guessing that the OP is looking to build a broader knowledge base and again, Yeast is a fantastic book

absolutesites
beers 2 º 11:03 Wed 12/1/2010

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
I don’t think it is necessarily as simple as that. I’m guessing that the OP is looking to build a broader knowledge base and again, Yeast is a fantastic book

Agreed, but for brevity’s and functionality’s sake, that’s all that the OP needs to know.

That being said, I would encourage him to read as much as he can on the subject and experiment on his own so he can formulate his own opinions.

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 12:27 Wed 12/1/2010

I don’t think it is necessarily as simple as that. I’m guessing that the OP is looking to build a broader knowledge base and again, Yeast is a fantastic book

Agreed, but for brevity’s and functionality’s sake, that’s all that the OP needs to know.

That being said, I would encourage him to read as much as he can on the subject and experiment on his own so he can formulate his own opinions.

Planning on a hybrid approach at this point: going to take absolute sites’ advice on process for this weekend’s batch as it seems the simplest and most general approach. Then going to read Yeast (already ordered) and decide if I want to go any further down the rabbit hole from there. Everybody happy?

absolutesites
beers 2 º 12:55 Wed 12/1/2010

Planning on a hybrid approach at this point: going to take absolute sites’ advice on process for this weekend’s batch as it seems the simplest and most general approach. Then going to read Yeast (already ordered) and decide if I want to go any further down the rabbit hole from there. Everybody happy?

No.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer