Yeast vial possibly gone bad?

Reads 882 • Replies 7 • Started Friday, January 25, 2013 8:09:48 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sharpe1987
beers 8 º 20:09 Fri 1/25/2013

Noticed that my vial of WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast seemed "chunky". Didn’t seem to run as easily in the vial from side to side (bad description, but all I could come up with). When I opened the vial, it seemed to almost have a sourish smell.

Has this vial gone bad? This is my first experience with this strain so I’m in the dark here

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 20:11 Fri 1/25/2013

Probably wasn’t stored properly - they should smell like the medium they’re suspended in - certainly not sour.

wnoble
beers 1251 º 04:50 Sat 1/26/2013

007 is unique in its clumpy flocculating characteristics. I’ve also noticed many fresh yeast slurries smell and even taste tart. Shake the daylights out of it. Cheers

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 07:24 Sat 1/26/2013

Make a starter. If it doesn’t start, then it’s a bad vial.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 18:24 Sat 1/26/2013

Originally posted by Quasimodo

I’m leery of yeast that has low viability. If it takes a long time to start I’d still dump it. But I’d dump it into the boil with about 10 minutes left. Dead yeast makes good yeast nutrient.

Cobra
beers 1100 º places 24 º 09:32 Tue 1/29/2013

Originally posted by bitbucket

I’m leery of yeast that has low viability. If it takes a long time to start I’d still dump it. But I’d dump it into the boil with about 10 minutes left. Dead yeast makes good yeast nutrient.

That’s exactly what yeast nutrient is made of. And they charge an arm & a leg for it too.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 09:45 Tue 1/29/2013

Blame Canada.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 13:06 Tue 1/29/2013

Originally posted by Cobra
Originally posted by bitbucket

That’s exactly what yeast nutrient is made of. And they charge an arm & a leg for it too.

Not sure where you’re buying yeast nutrient, but it’s not really that expensive(assuming you’re not talking about DAP)

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer