RateBeer European Summer Gathering 2016: Call For Proposals

Reads 7757 • Replies 56 • Started Tuesday, March 29, 2016 4:18:41 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40899 º places 1239 º 13:41 Wed 3/30/2016

Originally posted by Leighton
Originally posted by chriso
Doing an ’open-source’ Gathering is certainly an option. In theory, you can do most (if not all) of the planning via email/phone. You just need to have some knowledge of the location so you can put together a worthwhile itinerary.

Getting a venue for the grand tasting can be problematic. The more so if there’s nobody local, with good local connections, involved. Finding someone with a big room that they’re prepared to provide at minimal, or no, cost to a bunch of strangers who are bringing along their own beer to drink is not easy.

Oh, ain’t that the truth! Finding the Grand Tasting (part 1) venue was certainly one of the biggest hurdles for RBESG London.

The sort of ’Grand Tasting pt. II’ at Craft Beer Co was easy enough to set up - because, of course, of the connection with Tom and he hooked us up.

The Grand Tasting is a big part of any gathering, and the key organiser(s) should make sure they have an option for that.

yes . . I was working hard on one particular GT venue for London that eventually didn’t meet our needs.

Travlr
beers 33927 º places 4607 º 18:17 Wed 3/30/2016

Having just been in Berlin, I would love to go back to explore the scene in more detail. One place you might not think of for a grand tasting is this one: http://www.ratebeer.com/p/kaschk/49402/
they have a shuffleboard space downstairs that is often empty. they are a coffee place, but have a dozen beers on tap and the Norweigian owner might love the idea.

That said, Berlin beer places are quite spread out, so distance and traffic is a significant limiting factor. But it would certainly be interesting.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 15:55 Thu 3/31/2016

Something to consider: http://www.berlinbeerweek.com/
July 22-30. The organizers did a good job with the first one last year, lots of events at various places around town. Crowd-wise, I’m not sure if it’s something an RB gathering would enjoy or want to avoid.

How many people would you typically expect for a RBESG?

Leighton
beers 33821 º places 1204 º 18:03 Thu 3/31/2016

Originally posted by JoeinDahlem
July 22-30. The organizers did a good job with the first one last year, lots of events at various places around town. Crowd-wise, I’m not sure if it’s something an RB gathering would enjoy or want to avoid.

The attendance can vary, but I think usually you can assume at least 10-15, and sometimes more like 20-25. I don’t think many - if any - RBESGs have had more than 25.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 07:11 Fri 4/1/2016

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
I would expect a brewery visit or two

Printed: Colin asking for a brewery tour

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 15:47 Fri 4/1/2016

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
I would expect a brewery visit or two

Printed: Colin asking for a shitty brewpub tour

TBone
beers 27216 º places 548 º 02:04 Sat 4/2/2016

The attendance can vary, but I think usually you can assume at least 10-15, and sometimes more like 20-25. I don’t think many - if any - RBESGs have had more than 25.

Early years RBESG had 25+ crowd.

yespr
beers 55614 º places 43 º 03:40 Sun 4/3/2016

It surely has cons and pros. More attractive to those deciding to go or not, but likely already a busy time for the different bars and breweries hence an RB crowd may just be another group coming through.

/Jesper

BRW
beers 3178 º places 117 º 16:30 Sun 4/3/2016

Originally posted by yespr
(alternatively one i Barcelona in July while I am there for 2 weeks).

It would be nice a summer gathering at barcelona, but I’ve never attended one so I don’t know what people expect form a it (I’ve read the last year proposals, but you can’t see what people want just by reading the planing. For example, most beer bars in barcelona have very few spanish beers on tap (the bottle selection on spanish beers tends to be much better), and maybe this would disappoint some attendants. If anyone who has attended som RBEG can/wants to help, send me a BM.

PS. If you need help planing the trip to Barcelona or anything else, feel free to BM me.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 17:48 Sun 4/3/2016

Originally posted by BRW
Originally posted by yespr
(alternatively one i Barcelona in July while I am there for 2 weeks).

It would be nice a summer gathering at barcelona, but I’ve never attended one so I don’t know what people expect form a it (I’ve read the last year proposals, but you can’t see what people want just by reading the planing. For example, most beer bars in barcelona have very few spanish beers on tap (the bottle selection on spanish beers tends to be much better), and maybe this would disappoint some attendants. If anyone who has attended som RBEG can/wants to help, send me a BM.

PS. If you need help planing the trip to Barcelona or anything else, feel free to BM me.

Having just come back from there it’s not as bad as you purport it to be....however people will need to be lizards to cope with July heat;)