5 Point plan to crush craft beer

Reads 6159 • Replies 89 • Started Sunday, November 29, 2015 5:52:41 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
13:24 Mon 11/30/2015

Originally posted by Reid
Maybe their forecasters can see the same 50% of tap sales disappearing all over the States?

Where are you getting this statistic?

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 13:30 Mon 11/30/2015

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Maybe their forecasters can see the same 50% of tap sales disappearing all over the States?

I was referring to how "Big Beer" has lost over 50% of draft sales to independents in Oregon and maybe WA. And if craft, independents etc were to take 50% of tap sales nationwide it would threaten them.

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 13:37 Mon 11/30/2015

I was referring to how "Big Beer" has lost over 50% of draft sales to independents in Oregon and maybe WA. And if craft, independents etc were to take 50% of tap sales nationwide it would threaten them.

like to change the figure..Oregoncraftbeer.org now saying Oregon brewed beers have 60% of draft sales Statewide.
http://oregoncraftbeer.org/facts/

HornyDevil
13:56 Mon 11/30/2015

like to change the figure..Oregoncraftbeer.org now saying Oregon brewed beers have 60% of draft sales Statewide.

That statistic is more than a bit misleading. “20% of the beer sold in Oregon is craft beer made in Oregon. 13% of total packaged beer. 60% of total draft beer."

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 14:05 Mon 11/30/2015

That statistic is more than a bit misleading. “20% of the beer sold in Oregon is craft beer made in Oregon. 13% of total packaged beer. 60% of total draft beer."

I was using the draft figure..that’s still bad new for "Big Beer".
I think also the 39+% of sales revenue for craft beer makes them worried also.
Maybe threatened was over the top..maybe concerned is better......

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 14:16 Mon 11/30/2015

I will say that maybe 10 years ago Bud/Miller/Coors could have crushed the independents. But happily that time is gone, though they still try to pass laws in some States its very weak.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 14:34 Mon 11/30/2015

Do you think that draft figure might be misleading because taprooms only sell their own craft beer on tap?

I’m all for local beer. I pretty much only drink/buy local beer. If someone could offer fresh pints of a nice IPA for $4 instead of paying $5 from a local place, I’ll go buy it for $4. I’d LOVE to see a macro brewery say "fuck it" and make an awesome IPA in 12 pack cans for $8.99 but until that happens I’ll stick with my locals.

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 14:38 Mon 11/30/2015

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
Do you think that draft figure might be misleading because taprooms only sell their own craft beer on tap?

I’m all for local beer. I pretty much only drink/buy local beer. If someone could offer fresh pints of a nice IPA for $4 instead of paying $5 from a local place, I’ll go buy it for $4. I’d LOVE to see a macro brewery say "fuck it" and make an awesome IPA in 12 pack cans for $8.99 but until that happens I’ll stick with my locals.

Maybe..its still nice to see local beers do well.
Like you i am more often at a local place than anything else....though being addicted to rating I do buy bottles

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 15:15 Mon 11/30/2015

Some of the mentioned tactics like control of distributors or buying up all available hops oe controling shelf space are concerning.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 15:22 Mon 11/30/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Indiana’s a better beer state than you might realize...

At any rate, my ¢0.02... while we may reasonably expect that big corporations that make money from selling beer will continue to act in a manner consistent with their history, how about "big craft" and the craft brands that dominate the rest of the shelf space available? What line can be drawn between "healthy competition" and possible "anti-competitive" behavior from the biggest craft beer brands?
I mentioned "big craft" as an issue back on page 2. Just sayin’, folks.