Advice on my holiday

Reads 892 • Replies 16 • Started Monday, July 22, 2013 6:52:46 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 06:52 Mon 7/22/2013

Alrighty,

Im in 2 minds about what to do for my holiday this year. One is to hit either new york or san francisco, and iv posted in the local forms there to ask for advice so no need to chip in about those.

My other option is some sort of Bamberg-Plzen-Prague over 10 days. Anyone ever done this? Any advice on it?

Cheers

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40787 º places 1239 º 07:04 Mon 7/22/2013

Is the US trip more a holiday with the other half as opposed to a beer holiday?

Consider whether you plan to head back soon and how long you plan spending over there. I regularly do 2 destinations in the states so 5 or 6 nights in SF then 3 in NY would be about right.

You’ll pick up an internal flight for around £100-£125 between the two.

As for the other trip my knowledge lies solely in Bamburg and surrounding areas.

EdKing
beers 3664 º places 307 º 07:27 Mon 7/22/2013

Done both NY and San Fran. Both awesome, both completely different. San Fran in laid back, and little more easy going these days. You’ll need a car to get around. You can drive up to Napa and Sonoma as well.

NY is more intense, cooler, more attitude. You can get around on public transport and there’s loads to do but hotels are way more epxensive than west coast. Advantage is it’s only a few hours away.

Leighton
beers 33786 º places 1204 º 07:58 Mon 7/22/2013

Tom, what time of year are you planning to go?

MannyGoldberg
beers 208 º places 31 º 08:19 Mon 7/22/2013

Originally posted by EdKing
You can get around on public transport and there’s loads to do but hotels are way more expensive than west coast.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/

Leighton
beers 33786 º places 1204 º 08:28 Mon 7/22/2013

Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
Originally posted by EdKing
You can get around on public transport and there’s loads to do but hotels are way more expensive than west coast.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/

What’s the status of airbnb in NYC? It was on shaky ground for a bit.

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/06/airbnb-fights-nyc/

MannyGoldberg
beers 208 º places 31 º 09:01 Mon 7/22/2013

Yeah it’s illegal but I’ve never run into any issues. I’ve only ever rented apartments, not rooms, and agreed a story up front that I’m house sitting while the real owner/tenant is out of town.

You need to vet the person you’re renting from quite closely. Read the reviews, ask loads of questions etc. That might seem obvious but you end of having to contact loads of places as a lot of them won’t be available for whatever reason. And vice versa you need to make sure your profile is appealing to anyone who’s considering renting out their home to you.

harrisoni
beers 25413 º places 68 º 09:23 Mon 7/22/2013

Bamberg-Plzen-Prague

For Bamberg you can fly to Frankfurt, Nurenburg or Munich and catch a train from there. Or you can go by train, you can do London St Pancras to Bamberg in about 8 hours or do what I do which is break my journey half way, Cologne or Dusseldorf on the way down.

I now think Bamberg is my favourite beer destination in the world. It’s really cheap, €2.40 for a half litre in the city, €2.00 in the countryside. Accommodation is reasonable too. It’s beautiful to look at, especially the old town. It’s relatively small so even I managed to walk from Spezial Keller at one end of town to Keesman at the other in the space of time it took to listen to 4 R.E.M. songs. It’s bike friendly if you want to hire a bike at €9.50 a day. Everyone understands English. Pubs and breweries open from around 09.00.

The quality of the beer is amazing.

But there were 2 things I liked most last time.

One, I went back fearing that my first visit was with rose tinted specs and the second visit would be less good. I was wrong. The 2nd trip was better.

Second, hiring a bike and touring the bierkellers on Saturday was one of the best days I’ve had beer drinking. Simply joyous. Visiting new villages, new breweries and making new friends on the Sunday was equally wonderful. The people are just so friendly and generous.

Plzen, well you’ve been before, depends on whether you can drag yourself away from the pawn channel in the hotel!!

Prague, speak to Gazza. He swears by the place.

Fin
beers 17297 º places 1653 º 09:49 Mon 7/22/2013

Loved San Francisco and New York the latter I have revisted, but San Francisco was qiite a few years ago now. If you go to the States hook up with the locals, we met up with them in New York and had a great night, there are some fantastic pubs and it is an incredible city, I have really loved it both times.

Love Prague but its been a few years now since last trip, Bamberg is brilliant, as Ian suggests get a bike and get out and about the countryside is lovely and every village appears to have its own brewery and by and large most of them are damn good, prices are unbelievably cheap as well. Bamberg is just great, a world heritage site I believe, beautiful city and enough to keep you occupied. Btw BobinLondon is very, very knowledgable on Bamberg he has been going every year for many, many years and really knows the place inside-out.

harrisoni
beers 25413 º places 68 º 11:57 Mon 7/22/2013

Don’t go to Milton Keynes. It’s worse than everyone says it is.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 12:25 Mon 7/22/2013

I’m hoping to go Praha soon to see a mate in Brno. I believe Mario also visits Prague a few times. It’s a very cheap and reliable City. I love the place.