Are we Aussie RBer’s apathetic?

Reads 7009 • Replies 48 • Started Wednesday, February 2, 2011 3:21:00 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ndon
beers 857 º places 48 º 04:05 Sat 2/5/2011

well then, in your opinion, what Aussie brewer takes the cake for most consistantly good releases in the last few years?

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 04:27 Sat 2/5/2011

Originally posted by ndon
well then, in your opinion, what Aussie brewer takes the cake for most consistantly good releases in the last few years?

I would have to say Murrays for the fact that they have made the best Aussie beer I’ve ever had (the Best Extra Porter),do a pretty good Impy, a decent DIPA, a good pale ale and a very good session style beer. The pilsner, whilst not particularly true to style, is decent too.

Do I think they are world class? No. But they stand out down here. Hopefully I can get a chance to try more Feral and this may displace Murrays.

What are your thoughts?

ndon
beers 857 º places 48 º 04:30 Sat 2/5/2011

Originally posted by jonno

I would have to say Murrays for the fact that they have made the best Aussie beer I’ve ever had (the Best Extra Porter),do a pretty good Impy, a decent DIPA, a good pale ale and a very good session style beer. The pilsner, whilst not particularly true to style, is decent too.

Do I think they are world class? No. But they stand out down here. Hopefully I can get a chance to try more Feral and this may displace Murrays.

What are your thoughts?

i do love murrays, but i am loving almost everything ive tried from feral. Could be the fact that its not as easy to get my hands on the feral stuff, so its infected with more of that ’rare’ flavour to me

Haven’t been terribly impressed with the murrays anniversary’s however, good, but not quite there (got my AA5 in the cupboard for as long as i can handle not having it)

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 04:39 Sat 2/5/2011

Never had an Anniversary Ale due to never hearing great things about it and the price.

Hope to get some more Feral under my belt this year!

ndon
beers 857 º places 48 º 00:53 Sun 2/6/2011

$40 for a bottle of AA is far too much, grand cru is far better and cheaper by the growler!
have you had the dark funk from feral yet? that stuff blew my mind!

ALLOVATE
beers 3849 º places 111 º 09:02 Sun 2/6/2011

Is that an attack is it? Bit uncalled for I say, and this at a time as when I actually posted that my internet went out on me as I work remotely in WA’s north, and the net here sucks.
I would love to hear from ratebeerian’s in Oz, have just gotten back into the site only to converse with others in the UK that nothing much has changed. Could offer a lot as to the microbrewing scene in WA, your interest in Feral needs precursors, and I worked in it and with it for some time, but think that is poor form mate for what you posted . And yes, give me a Schwarzbier over any barrel aged stout as I do know brewing and appreciate the nuance and subtle elegance of stylised brewing over bitch-arse, bad-arse brewing!
Sorry, but you sound like and opinionated twat ruining why us Aussies don’t mail much on here, even before the lager comment, f#$ken rude (I suggest you learn about beer and brewing first before adversing such shite on Ratebeer!)!!!
And Stew, hope the shop is alright. Just added it on Facebook, will definitely be in touch to get some brews, really like the layout of the store on the net.
And Jonno, cheers anyway as you pissed me off with those statements!

yalnikim
beers 800 º places 9 º 13:18 Sun 2/6/2011

Originally posted by ALLOVATE
Is that an attack is it? Bit uncalled for I say, and this at a time as when I actually posted that my internet went out on me as I work remotely in WA’s north, and the net here sucks.
I would love to hear from ratebeerian’s in Oz, have just gotten back into the site only to converse with others in the UK that nothing much has changed. Could offer a lot as to the microbrewing scene in WA, your interest in Feral needs precursors, and I worked in it and with it for some time, but think that is poor form mate for what you posted . And yes, give me a Schwarzbier over any barrel aged stout as I do know brewing and appreciate the nuance and subtle elegance of stylised brewing over bitch-arse, bad-arse brewing!
Sorry, but you sound like and opinionated twat ruining why us Aussies don’t mail much on here, even before the lager comment, f#$ken rude (I suggest you learn about beer and brewing first before adversing such shite on Ratebeer!)!!!
And Stew, hope the shop is alright. Just added it on Facebook, will definitely be in touch to get some brews, really like the layout of the store on the net.
And Jonno, cheers anyway as you pissed me off with those statements!

Sheesh... you have a future as a beat poet mate!

Totally agree with you on nuanced beers rather than great big imp stouts and IPAs though. I reckon American-style brewing has a lot to answer for in regards to the use yeast and the diversity of beer. Seems to me that everything is super-clean or full of funk these days. Want a fucking mind-blowing beer... try Pink Elephant Mammoth or Golden Tusk. Slowbeer will probably stock them now andthen, or Purvis. Lovely beers with real fermentation characteristcs, and no funk.

At least you’re arguing... There are Tumbleweeds in the NZ forum, and in the rating department for that matter, but we’re lucky to have really strong face-to-face communities in all the main cities.

Stu

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 15:28 Sun 2/6/2011

$40 for a bottle of AA is far too much, grand cru is far better and cheaper by the growler!
have you had the dark funk from feral yet? that stuff blew my mind!

I haven’t had access to their beers outside bottles yet, but that should change pretty soon.

What is Dark Funk?- not a big sours person, but can appreciate the depth of flavour and time it takes to develop such beers.

hawthorne00
beers 8474 º places 63 º 04:51 Mon 2/7/2011

If we’re going to sustain an Australian forum by pointless snark, it’s got to be the slow burn stuff.

So knock most of it off.

On the question of favourite styles, anyone know how to change to "none"? I picked one more or less at random when I signed up - I didn’t really think I’d rate anything, so I didn’t pay attention. "none’ is cool. I managed to identify myself as female, too - other than the compulsory fields to fill in when you sign up to things, I tend to make it up... expect for my ratings of course, which you should treat with great reverence.

mullet
beers 849 º places 230 º 05:03 Mon 2/7/2011

Originally posted by jonno
What is Dark Funk?

haha, ask Kook what Dark Funk is. I had a lovely beer from him called Dark Funk, he gave some to the Feral guys and next thing you know they have a beer called Dark Funk! That’s quite a coincidence.