Beer to pair with Persian meal

Reads 5733 • Replies 16 • Started Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:03:29 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Jow
beers 7344 º places 487 º 12:03 Wed 5/29/2013

I am attending a Persian/Iranian themed dinner in mid June. Its BYOB what should I bring. No details on actual courses. I would like to bring Iranian beer but that seems impossible. Maybe a beer from some other reach of Persian empire (available in NYC)? Or just a style that fits i guess. I’m open to any creative ideas you have.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 12:45 Wed 5/29/2013

Saison, herbed possible and Pils.

RCL
beers 2032 º places 7 º 12:47 Wed 5/29/2013

I have a buddy that I talked into making a Barberry Sour Ale (a Zereshk Lambic, if you will) - it was face implodingly sour. As for commercially available: if you want to be current as of ’79, non-alcoholic seems to be the thing, but that sucks. If you want to get all historical, Dogfish Midas Touch is based on a Phrygian recipe but is probably not unlike some ancient Persian brews too, though it would appear that they were more of a wine drinking culture. Bottle of Shiraz? Darioush if you want to drop some coin?

graziano85
beers 769 º places 16 º 12:59 Wed 5/29/2013

Baladin Nora

It’s italian, a good beer IMHO...the brewer said they tried to reproduce the ancient egyptian recipe, they used kamut and there is also myrrh and ginger between the ingredients, and they say it fits well with arabic dishes

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/baladin-nora/14552/

I know you can find Baladin beers in NY by "Eataly"

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 13:08 Wed 5/29/2013

Not sure what is available in your area but I would go for a mix between something Eastern and (English) Pale Ale... Bon appetit!

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 06:13 Fri 6/7/2013

I think pale ales don’t make too many assumptions on the palate and would bring that little bit of hop pungency without competeing with the spices in the dishes you might have. I would stay away from sweeter beers. Without knowing what you will have you want to stay neutral.

My advice is wrong according ot this. -

" In Middle Eastern cuisine, where there are lots of acidic flavours from lemon juice, sumac, za’atar and verjuice, hoppy beers such as wheatbeer are a great match. Likewise sweet Arabic desserts such as baklava and pastries with sugar syrup go well with a red ale or a stout."

Mead?

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 05:04 Sat 6/8/2013

I think mead is a good choice. When I asked what kind of food to pair with unclerudy’s mead (I had never tried mead) that’s what he said. Middle eastern.

Originally posted by joet
Saison, herbed possible and Pils.
My thoughts exactly. Especially if a fresh Pils is available.

hawthorne00
beers 8459 º places 63 º 07:26 Sat 6/8/2013

Honey saison.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 07:54 Tue 6/11/2013

Jow what did you end up having and with what dish and your opinions too please? =)