Belgium versus United States (Celery Salts Compared)

Reads 3963 • Replies 12 • Started Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:39:19 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 07:39 Wed 9/16/2015

A heated discussion took place last week about Celery Salt in this thread.

Originally posted by daknole
Why not just buy celery salt here in the U.S.?

ASKING THE HARD-HITTING QUESTIONS!!!

I knew it was my chance to compare both types so I hit my local grocery and grabbed store-brand stuff. Note, I did the tasting fully blind as my GF knew which one was which. I compared appearance, smell, taste and texture.

1. Appearance: The Belgian stuff has larger salt crystals and a darker look. Also the celery pieces are not find ground and are actually a little bit thicker and don’t all look the same.
2. Smell, they’re pretty close but the American stuff did smell a bit more stale.
3. Taste, this was an easy one. Belgian celery salt simply tasted better as well. Good fresh taste, very present celery and lingered. It really complimented the meat.
4. Texture, America won this one because it appears they use less salt or just finer salt crystals and it means you don’t have that salt crunch when you eat it.

Fun fact: Del haize, the largest grocery store in Belgium where I bought the celery salt owns Hannaford Grocery Stores in USA. You’d think they’d have a similar product but they don’t.

Now for some photos:

CLevar
places 23 º 07:47 Wed 9/16/2015

Originally posted by AdamChandler
A heated discussion took place last week about Celery Salt in this thread.

Originally posted by daknole
Why not just buy celery salt here in the U.S.?

ASKING THE HARD-HITTING QUESTIONS!!!

I knew it was my chance to compare both types so I hit my local grocery and grabbed store-brand stuff. Note, I did the tasting fully blind as my GF knew which one was which. I compared appearance, smell, taste and texture.

1. Appearance: The Belgian stuff has larger salt crystals and a darker look. Also the celery pieces are not find ground and are actually a little bit thicker and don’t all look the same.
2. Smell, they’re pretty close but the American stuff did smell a bit more stale.
3. Taste, this was an easy one. Belgian celery salt simply tasted better as well. Good fresh taste, very present celery and lingered. It really complimented the meat.
4. Texture, America won this one because it appears they use less salt or just finer salt crystals and it means you don’t have that salt crunch when you eat it.

Fun fact: Del haize, the largest grocery store in Belgium where I bought the celery salt owns Hannaford Grocery Stores in USA. You’d think they’d have a similar product but they don’t.

Now for some photos:

CLevar
places 23 º 07:48 Wed 9/16/2015

Really though, pretty cool that you followed up and delivered a report.

I wonder if it’s just an age and quality thing? I bet you could go to a specialty spice shop and get better stuff without leaving the comfort of ’Murica.

b3shine
beers 12184 º places 372 º 07:55 Wed 9/16/2015

Why do we need photos of you to have this conversation?

On a positive note, you look like you’ve lost some weight though. Is that the reason for the pics?

And is that your bed next to your homemade kegerator in the last pic?

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 07:55 Wed 9/16/2015

Not sure if I’d put either of them on already spiced salami, but oddly interesting read. Some in-depth autoreporting from the trenches of subjective homelife right there.

On loosely related notes:

A good slab of Oud Brugge with Tierentyn mosterd can work very well for Belgian tastings as well. Or cubes of young cumin cheese and pickled onions, like some bars offer in NL.

Delhaize has grown in my regard since they started offering Mikkeller at €1,99, half of the entry level import price here in Germany thanks to the Braufactum deal.

Here in Germany Aldi sells salted pistachios by their partly owned Trader Joe’s brand Farmer, which work very well with German styles and lighter ales. Just hard to stop once you’ve opened a bag..

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 08:19 Wed 9/16/2015

If you have a food processor/spice grinder/etc and want fresh celery salt, it’s as easy as celery seeds + salt. Mainly a 1:1 ratio but you can mess with that if you’d like. I like a bit of grit in finishing salt so I use a course salt that comes out much thicker than what you have posted in the pics. A bit of rice in the jar if you have leftovers helps retain freshness.

Christos
beers 6111 º places 110 º 10:09 Wed 9/16/2015

Are the photos really copyrighted?

AcctError62185
places 1 º 23:39 Wed 9/16/2015

Originally posted by DietPepsican
If you have a food processor/spice grinder/etc and want fresh celery salt, it’s as easy as celery seeds + salt. Mainly a 1:1 ratio but you can mess with that if you’d like. I like a bit of grit in finishing salt so I use a course salt that comes out much thicker than what you have posted in the pics. A bit of rice in the jar if you have leftovers helps retain freshness.

I use a lot of celery seed, and a lot of salt. But like with salt and pepper, I add them separately. Different densities makes blends problematic, plus different applications require different ratios. I don’t use garlic salt either, for the same reasons.

Having said all that I suspect the difference noted was due to quality factors not country of origin

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 06:17 Thu 9/17/2015

Originally posted by bartlebier
... Here in Germany Aldi sells salted pistachios by their partly owned Trader Joe’s brand Farmer, which work very well with German styles and lighter ales. Just hard to stop once you’ve opened a bag..

Heh. Ironically, I (re)discovered pistachios at ALDI in Belgium in July, yes, the Trader Joe’s, which took me back to my Oregon years. And now I buy them from the local organic shop. Don’t normally set foot in ALDI here.

Danko
06:30 Thu 9/17/2015

My findings are that the cheaper the Belgian celery salt the better. Kruidvat is the classic, with the orange plastic cap. The Delhaize snassy rectangular shaker with celery salt as pictured above is also very good. I buy a bunch of these everytime I’m in Belgium to stay on the safe side, here in Sweden most stores don’t even carry celery salt and the few that provide are selling inferior stuff.

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 06:37 Thu 9/17/2015

Why are you drinking wine in the pics and not beer?