Best beers to harvest yeast from

Reads 9766 • Replies 17 • Started Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:34:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sharpe1987
beers 8 º 18:34 Tue 1/8/2013

What are some good commercial beers to harvest yeast from?

I’m not looking for a particular strain of yeast just yet, just interested in trying to propagate some.

I ask because I know many breweries will add a secondary yeast strain for bottling that is different than the primary fermentation yeast

Cheers from Bourbon country

DA
places 1 º 19:03 Tue 1/8/2013

what kind of yeast do you want?

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:00 Tue 1/8/2013

Originally posted by DA
what kind of yeast do you want?

And why do you want to do this in the first place? Most of the useful yeast strains are available from your local homebrew store, and it’s less work to buy them than to propagate them from the little bit left in a bottle. And way less limiting.

I’d be more inclined to go after bugs than yeast.

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 05:39 Wed 1/9/2013

I’ve never harvested yeast from a commercial beer. If I did, I’d choose something that uses a non-commercially available house yeast like Ommegang and Fantome.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 05:44 Wed 1/9/2013

Here’s a list of mostly sours, if that’s what your looking for.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/harvesting-sour-beer-bottle-dregs.html

As for Sacc strains, I’ve heard of people using Bells Two Hearted and Amber Ale. You can also harvest the Pacman strain from Rogue beers. Never done it myself though.

HornyDevil
06:30 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by bitbucket
Most of the useful yeast strains are available from your local homebrew store, and it’s less work to buy them than to propagate them from the little bit left in a bottle.

Normal stuff like Chico isn’t really worth it, but I’ve cultured stuff from Hair of the Dog for a Heather Wee Heavy that I really liked. Pulled my house saison yeast (3711) from a bottled of Stillwater back when that was their house yeast and my house Brett strain from a bottle of Ommegang Biere de Mars.

Originally posted by bitbucketI’d be more inclined to go after bugs than yeast.

Indeed. I think this is the best way to culture a good house mixed culture for sour beers.

HornyDevil
06:31 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by Quasimodo
I’ve never harvested yeast from a commercial beer. If I did, I’d choose something that uses a non-commercially available house yeast like Ommegang and Fantome.

I’ve tried multiple times to culture from Fantome dreggs and all I’ve ever gotten is vinegar. YMMV.

HornyDevil
06:33 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by joeneugs
You can also harvest the Pacman strain from Rogue beers.

I thought they filtered?

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 06:50 Wed 1/9/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by joeneugs
You can also harvest the Pacman strain from Rogue beers.

I thought they filtered?

Most of them are but I think the Shakespeare Stout works. I know I’ve cultured PacMan about 10 years ago from one of theirs and I think that was the one I used.

Danko
07:02 Wed 1/9/2013

Chimay Rode, Dupont Moinette, Rochefort 10, Westmalle Tripel are good and easy to inoculate from and propagate. They only use one yeast strain all the way, and these are great strains.

Christian
beers 17364 º places 278 º 07:59 Wed 1/9/2013

When I do brett beers I just pour the last inch of a bottle Orval into the fermenting beer. Works every time.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer