Blichmann Beer Gun or Counter Pressure filler?

Reads 14321 • Replies 21 • Started Wednesday, July 4, 2012 10:59:11 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cbkschubert
beers 2901 º places 44 º 10:59 Wed 7/4/2012

Which to buy? I’m looking to bottle a few beers from every batch of homebrew I keg. Which works best? Which is easiest to use?

Define a few beers?

cbkschubert
beers 2901 º places 44 º 11:23 Wed 7/4/2012

Originally posted by ericandersnavy
Define a few beers?

Maybe six 12 oz. bottles at a time. To throw in as extras, enter a competition, or give to friends.

krumb
11:24 Wed 7/4/2012

I enjoy my blichmann beer gun. I used a homemade counter pressure for a while...and it worked...but the beer gun allows me to be very efficient on a bottling day, mostly due to ease of use.

FlacoAlto
beers 4461 º places 17 º 11:26 Wed 7/4/2012

I have both, but only use the beer gun. It is a lot easier to use.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 11:36 Wed 7/4/2012

A lot easier to use, for sure, but much higher loss of CO2 and much higher O2 pickup. I used mine once, and, after testing CO2 and packaged airs, I’ll never use it again.

Yeah, I spent the money to put together a really nice counter-pressure filler, and I find it to be very easy to use.

I have a beer gun, and only use it if I am bottling up 6 or more from a couple of different batches. If I am only doing a few I will use a drilled stopper and short straight racking cane with my picnic tap. Do you have faucets or just picnic taps?

cbkschubert
beers 2901 º places 44 º 11:50 Wed 7/4/2012

Originally posted by ericandersnavy
I have a beer gun, and only use it if I am bottling up 6 or more from a couple of different batches. If I am only doing a few I will use a drilled stopper and short straight racking cane with my picnic tap. Do you have faucets or just picnic taps?

I have a dual tap tower.

biggsbowler
beers 635 º places 22 º 11:54 Wed 7/4/2012

Most people I know bought the counter pressure because it was cheaper and realized why. Not that it was horrible but far from easy. The Blichman is worth the extra money.

TheBeerSommelier
12:11 Wed 7/4/2012

Originally posted by biggsbowler
Most people I know bought the counter pressure because it was cheaper and realized why. Not that it was horrible but far from easy. The Blichman is worth the extra money.

Absolutely.

I have only used the beer gun and find it very easy to use and extremely helpful. I researched both before purchasing and found the beer gun to be more used than the counter-pressure filler. It seems cost drives most folks away from the beer gun, not functionality.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer