Brewing barleywine

Reads 3996 • Replies 21 • Started Friday, November 16, 2012 4:38:14 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 04:38 Fri 11/16/2012

Hi folks,

I plan on brewing a barleywine in the near future (monday tentatively) and I had a few questions regarding technique. I’ll be using a fairly simple recipe of 17 lbs of MO, 1.5 lb crystal 45 1 lb dark crystal 1 lb CaramunichIII.

The recipe I found called for an infusion to 148F, 60 minute mash, then a temperature raise to 152F for an extra 30 minutes. Does this make sense to you guys? Is my barleywine wort only my first runnings, with no sparge water (sparge being used to make small beer?) Any tips suggestions for mashing a barleywine welcome. Thanks!

Cheers!

Julien

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 05:16 Fri 11/16/2012

There are many ways to brew almost any beer and the one you describe is one of them.
Personally, I would skip the step mash and do it all say at 152-154. I would also sparge unless you want to brew the small beer just for fun.
I would use about 1 lb of light to medium crystal and leave the rest out. Get your unfermentables from the caramelization you can get from a long boil. I boil mine about 6 hours and use very little crystal.
As I said, that’s another way to do it; one of many.

HornyDevil
05:45 Fri 11/16/2012

3.5 lbs of crystal-type malt is going to get you a beer with a pretty high FG no matter what yeast you use. Though I don’t brew many barleywines, the ones that I have brewed were English-style with all Maris Otter, a decent bittering charge, and WLP002.

As to the no sparging thing, sure, you can do that if you want, but I’d up your grain a bit because your efficiency is going to be lower than usual.

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 05:56 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by HornyDevil
3.5 lbs of crystal-type malt is going to get you a beer with a pretty high FG no matter what yeast you use. Though I don’t brew many barleywines, the ones that I have brewed were English-style with all Maris Otter, a decent bittering charge, and WLP002.

As to the no sparging thing, sure, you can do that if you want, but I’d up your grain a bit because your efficiency is going to be lower than usual.

+1 on the Maris Otter and old 1056 and it’s variations are also great BW yeasts.

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 06:02 Fri 11/16/2012

This is for five gallons right? With a no sparge mash, and 1.25 quarts per pound, you will only get about six gallons of runoff. And having a gallon boil off in am hour, that is probably not enough starting liquid. I would recommend around 30 pounds total of grain, do a no sparge, and do a secondrunning mild. Also make site you have a big enough starter. Brew a paddle with a similargrain bill first, and use the yeast cake for the barley wine. Wind up getting 15 gallons of different beers.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 06:53 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by SpringsLicker
I would use about 1 lb of light to medium crystal and leave the rest out. Get your unfermentables from the caramelization you can get from a long boil. I boil mine about 6 hours and use very little crystal.
As I said, that’s another way to do it; one of many.

6 hours! I was thinking that maybe I should choose a 2 hours boil, 6 hours I had not heard about. Thanks for the tip though, I’ll certainly keep that in mind. Maybe what I’ll do is really reduce a portion of my wort on the kitchen stove and just dump that caramelized stuff in my main boil.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll go along with what Unclerudy suggested and boost my base grain up quite a bit, and cut back on the crystal. I was going for two hop additions - 3 oz goldings 60 minutes and 2 oz at 10 minutes

Originally posted by Unclerudy
This is for five gallons right? With a no sparge mash, and 1.25 quarts per pound, you will only get about six gallons of runoff. And having a gallon boil off in am hour, that is probably not enough starting liquid. I would recommend around 30 pounds total of grain, do a no sparge, and do a secondrunning mild. Also make site you have a big enough starter. Brew a paddle with a similargrain bill first, and use the yeast cake for the barley wine. Wind up getting 15 gallons of different beers.

Yes for five gallons. I already have my cake, it’s a bit old so I might wash it first but I should have at least a pint and a half of solid slurry to pitch.

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 07:16 Fri 11/16/2012

Here’s a good English style BW recipe. Steve entered it as an Old Ale, but everyone who has tasted his calls it a BW. I got to taste one of the original bottles from the batch that won.

Hunter’s Moon

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 07:30 Fri 11/16/2012

Here’s a good English style BW recipe. Steve entered it as an Old Ale, but everyone who has tasted his calls it a BW. I got to taste one of the original bottles from the batch that won.

Hunter’s Moon

BTW, Steve won Homebrewer of the Year in 2001 with Hunter’s Moon being the Best of Show in the NHC that year.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 07:49 Fri 11/16/2012

Hunter’s Moon

That sounds pretty darn tasty, thanks.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 13:55 Fri 11/16/2012

Originally posted by JulienHuxley

Hunter’s Moon

That sounds pretty darn tasty, thanks.

That does look good. I’ve been using Gambrinus ESB as a sub for Maris Otter, and liking it. It’s way less expensive for me locally, but weirdly more expensive on Norther Brewer than floor malted MO.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 14:04 Fri 11/16/2012

When I’m sparging a deep grain bed, I use the handle of a large stainless spoon as a mash rake to break up channeling. I leave the bottom several inches of grain alone. No quantitative data on how this affects efficiency, but it can’t hurt.

This is also a case where a refractometer can come in handy to test your preboil wort gravity at various times during a sparge.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer