BRY-97

Reads 4318 • Replies 17 • Started Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:14:16 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 01:14 Wed 5/7/2014

Heard about this (new?) "west coast ale" yeast in the English brewing twittosphere. I want something that attenuates and sticks to the bottom of the bottle like Nottingham does, but tastes more liks US05. (Dry, I can’t be arsed to deal with liquid.)

So I pitched a pack into yesterday’s batch of hoppy, roasty mild yesterday (1.034 OG, 22 litres), and it’s only now starting to foam over the surface of the wort, 19 - 20 hours later. US05 and Nottingham get to this point after 12 - 13 hours.

Anyone have experience with this one?

Recipe (all malts are Weyermann organic):

2800 g PA
430 g whatever-they-call-their-quasi-choco malt
220 g whatever-they-call-their-crystal malt
100 g Weizen

13 L heated to 160 F strike for 150 F mash-in
3 L boiling at 40 minutes for 156 F step just because
7 L boiling at 60 minutes for 170 F mash-out
9 L further mash-out top-up at 170 F

No sparge, duh.

20 g Polaris 19.8 aa for 60 minutes
80 g Polaris 19.8 aa for 5 minutes

Chill to 71 F, BRY-97 rehydrated

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 03:26 Wed 5/7/2014

No experience yet. I believe it’s being sold on themaltmiller repackaged as NBS West Coast yeast so some UK folk might know it under that name. I’m planning on making a pale ale with it in a week or so. Interested to see what people think of the strain.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 04:39 Wed 5/7/2014

Looking online, it looks like you should expect an unusually long lag time. Themaltmiller say on their website that they’ve upped the packs from 12g to 15g to help speed things up, so seems like this is a common experience.

wnoble
beers 1251 º 12:02 Wed 5/7/2014

WLP090?

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 23:41 Wed 5/7/2014

Originally posted by wnoble
WLP090?

Meaning, should I try it? If I were to want to use liquid yeast, maybe, but then I’d be partial to a Wyeast product, being sort-of an Oregonian. Does sound just like what I’d want though.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 23:49 Wed 5/7/2014

Originally posted by GarethYoung
Looking online, it looks like you should expect an unusually long lag time. Themaltmiller say on their website that they’ve upped the packs from 12g to 15g to help speed things up, so seems like this is a common experience.

Huh. It does seem to be going OK now, and I took a little taste when I did a bit of a rousing at 24 hours yesterday, and found no suspicious sourness or anything, putting my worry at ease.

And looking at the spec’s, they describe it as having a "quick start and vigorous fermentation", and suggest 1 g per litre, meaning I should use 2 satchets. They also recommend that for Nottingham, which takes off for me like a dream...if only it were a bit cleaner.

Why would they repackage it (and isn’t that a bit risky to use then?!?) and sell it along side the original?

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 03:41 Thu 5/8/2014

I’d guess they repackage it because it’s cheaper to buy a big sack and cut it down into little packages. Not sure. I’ve used their repackaged yeast loads of times and never had any problems. They must do it under clean conditions.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:58 Fri 5/9/2014

I’d guess they repackage it because it’s cheaper to buy a big sack and cut it down into little packages. Not sure. I’ve used their repackaged yeast loads of times and never had any problems. They must do it under clean conditions.

Well, okay then. Maybe I’ll do 1-1/2 packs for my next batch. Which may very well be today, as I’m running low on half-IPA.

UPDATE: Indeed I did do 17 gm with today’s batch. We’ll see.

Bottled the batch yesterday, and it tasted fab. (I bottle within two days of pitching my low-gravity beers, allowing the end of primary ferment to take place in the bottle to provide carbonation and get drinkable beer within days of brewing. Tough times, tough measures, etc.)

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 06:28 Sat 5/10/2014

Originally posted by Erlangernick

Well, okay then. Maybe I’ll do 1-1/2 packs for my next batch. Which may very well be today, as I’m running low on half-IPA.

Bottled the batch yesterday, and it tasted fab. (I bottle within two days of pitching my low-gravity beers, allowing the end of primary ferment to take place in the bottle to provide carbonation and get drinkable beer within days of brewing. Tough times, tough measures, etc.)

Cool. I take it your lag time wasn’t significant, then?

How did it attenuate? What sort of character does it seem to have?

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 16:35 Sat 5/10/2014

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:31 Sun 5/11/2014

Originally posted by Erlangernick

Cool. I take it your lag time wasn’t significant, then?

How did it attenuate? What sort of character does it seem to have?

The lag time for the half-IBlackA batch with one package seems to have not been a problem: it seems as clean as other batches I’ve done with Nottingham or US05 at the end of active primary.

The second batch, the half-IPA with 17 gm, took off much more like US05 does, if not as aggressively as Nottingham. It was fully foamed over by 18 hours when I got up this morning. I normally bottle these batches at 44 - 48 hours, have to see about this today.

Attenuation is tricky for me to discuss, since I bottle (and take "terminal" gravity readings) before primary is fully done. The half-IBA batch was about where I want it to be, down to 1.015 from 1.035. It has a fair bit of non-fermentables in it, so ends higher than the all-fermentables half-IPA.

In any case, so far, so good. If it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the bottle better than US05 does (like Nottingham) though, I’ll go back to US05.

(Would like to have a go at a Pacman yeast!)

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer