Bud MIxxtails..done?

Reads 1774 • Replies 21 • Started Saturday, May 2, 2015 10:38:52 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 15:35 Mon 5/4/2015

Originally posted by mkgrenwel
Originally posted by Frank
It will be sooner than you think that these alcoholic soda pops are going to be the most popular alcoholic beverages period. They are cheap and people like them.

I wouldn’t go that far. They’ve been around as long as I can remember in one form or another, and they’ve never taken over the market like that.

They’re up over 2 million barrels a year and still damn near doubling in growth on average per year

Something like 450 calories of HFCS in these things too as they average around 600-700 calories per 25 oz can. Crazy to think for $5 you can have 12 units of alcohol and your daily intake of calories.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 15:46 Mon 5/4/2015

Originally posted by pepsican
It will be sooner than you think that these alcoholic soda pops are going to be the most popular alcoholic beverages period. They are cheap and people like them.

I wouldn’t go that far. They’ve been around as long as I can remember in one form or another, and they’ve never taken over the market like that.

They’re up over 2 million barrels a year and still damn near doubling in growth on average per year

You’re talking about the "-a-Rita" series? Sure, they’re doing real well. But that’s because they’re taking over the market share that once belonged to the previous generation of alcopops.

These drinks are extremely faddy, probably because they appeal to young drinkers so you’ll see a meteoric rise from time to time for one style or brand. But that doesn’t mean that the entire segment is growing significantly or will at any point.

Talk to me when they actually start stealing market share from beer, wine and liquor.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 15:57 Mon 5/4/2015

Talk to me when they actually start stealing market share from beer, wine and liquor.

Hey mkgrenwel want to sit down and talk over a few rita brews?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101456543

The Ritas franchise has been a bright spot in the Anheuser-Busch portfolio at a time when overall beer volumes are flat and consumers, especially millenials, are turning to the variety offered by craft beer, wine and spirits.

Anheuser-Bush says the Ritas franchise is helping to capture some of the consumers who are looking outside the beer category.

"40 percent of this volume has come from outside of beer," said Pat McGauley, vice president of innovation at Anheuser-Busch. "It has the Bud Light name on it so it attracts people who are interested in the Bud Light brand but it also attracts people who may not have been in our franchise before."

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita was launched in 2012 and became the second-best selling new product launch that year, behind Bud Light Platinum. Straw-Ber-Rita followed the next year and became the largest share gainer in the beer industry in 2013.

Lime-A-Rita and Straw-Ber-Rita are the number one and number two brands in the flavored malt beverage category, and combined are larger than the category’s next seven brands, according to industry researcher IRI, which tracks off-premise sales.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 16:06 Mon 5/4/2015

Hey mkgrenwel want to sit down and talk over a few rita brews?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101456543

The Ritas franchise has been a bright spot in the Anheuser-Busch portfolio at a time when overall beer volumes are flat and consumers, especially millenials, are turning to the variety offered by craft beer, wine and spirits.

Anheuser-Bush says the Ritas franchise is helping to capture some of the consumers who are looking outside the beer category.

"40 percent of this volume has come from outside of beer," said Pat McGauley, vice president of innovation at Anheuser-Busch. "It has the Bud Light name on it so it attracts people who are interested in the Bud Light brand but it also attracts people who may not have been in our franchise before."

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita was launched in 2012 and became the second-best selling new product launch that year, behind Bud Light Platinum. Straw-Ber-Rita followed the next year and became the largest share gainer in the beer industry in 2013.

Lime-A-Rita and Straw-Ber-Rita are the number one and number two brands in the flavored malt beverage category, and combined are larger than the category’s next seven brands, according to industry researcher IRI, which tracks off-premise sales.

That doesn’t really disprove my argument. In fact, it’s helping prove it. They’re only shifting the market share by redefining it as beer. They’re talking about selling to "consumers who are looking outside the beer category." In other words, "we’re poaching Smirnoff Ice drinkers and selling them "beer" to expand our "beer" sales. There’s still no evidence that more people are drinking alcopops than they were ten years ago.

And hell no. You know I’d throw down some beers with you, my man. But they would be actual beers.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 16:06 Mon 5/4/2015

Ten years ago, every single alcohol advertisement when I listened to baseball on the radio wasn’t for Redd’s Apple Ale and Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. Couldn’t tell you why the macros are pushing that stuff but they are and it seems to be working. To ABInbev or whatever, they aren’t losing market share, they are selling a different product to the same people.

I think craft beer has something to do w/ this. Anyone who gives a rip about beer is drinking craft. If you don’t give a crap, why not drink boozy sugar water and not have to learn to like beer?

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 16:24 Mon 5/4/2015

I’m w/you on thinking that this is a fad. I just think that the arc and scope of it is going to be much bigger than even bud had imagined. They have been tossing all sorts of garbage into the market and pushing it only to see it fail time and time again. This hit big. We’ve never sold this much of any malt beverage.

But yeah, back to the original Q, I think you can stick a fork in mixtails based on my market. It was basically dead before it even started. The stuff just isn’t that good.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 17:37 Mon 5/4/2015

Ten years ago, every single alcohol advertisement when I listened to baseball on the radio wasn’t for Redd’s Apple Ale and Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. Couldn’t tell you why the macros are pushing that stuff but they are and it seems to be working. To ABInbev or whatever, they aren’t losing market share, they are selling a different product to the same people.

I think craft beer has something to do w/ this. Anyone who gives a rip about beer is drinking craft. If you don’t give a crap, why not drink boozy sugar water and not have to learn to like beer?

Imagine your alcoholic beverage budget were severely constrained. You like beer. You want to drink beer. You don’t like apple cider, mix tails, hard lemonade, or whatever is being pushed this week. You want an honest to goodness beer. If your overall budget is such that you can’t afford to buy craft all the time or your limit what you spend on alcoholic beverages significantly because of other priorities in your life, and you are deadset on drinking beer, you are not going to turn up your nose at drinking adjunct lagers. You’ll drink them. They’re beer. Simple and not as flavorful, maybe with an off taste or two but they are closer to what you like than a freaking apple cider or something. Must people who strongly prefer beer to other drinks can find something they’d rather drink than jumping to a non-beer drink or eschewing alcohol altogether in a non-craft price range.

Not everyone, but a lot of people.

Besides, aren’t these non-beer type things that are being pushed as expensive as Sam Adams anyway? It’s not like you save any money.

I think they do well because of people who don’t really like beer or want to try new things. Especially women. Not that women can’t love beer, or that all men prefer beer to this other stuff, but demographically speaking, women have always been strong drivers of sales like stuff like Zima and Saranac. It’s not universal- I’m a guy started with Saranac because hat was what my then girlfriend drank and I’d drink socially with her and started stocking them at home and eventually got sick of them, developed a taste for beer, and haven’t bought one of those other type drinks in like 10 years.

Not trying to insult the manhood of anyone who likes these other drinks or suggest that real women don’t drink beer. Men can drink whatever they want and still be real men, and women can drink whatever they want to.

But, let’s face it, women stereotypical, as a generalized demographic, with many exceptions, have always been a bit less into beer than men. I’ve a lot more women who drink wine or mixed drinks or Zima type things than I’ve met beer drinkers.

If published reports are anything to go by, college girls these days tend to go for mixed drinks and stuff. So, I completely see the success of Bud Mixxtails in the short term- they are something for people who like mixed drinks to drink that has less alcohol by volume and some overlap in the taste profile instead of beer when they want to drink something as if it were beer. And I’ll bet frat boys stock them for the women who party with them and whatever.

And, of course, there’s just the "Hey, I’ve never had that, I should give it a try" factor from all genders and demographics. A lot of people are open to trying new things occasionally. I could see guys pick up their regular beer or beers and grab a single serving or 4 or 6 pack of one of these Mixxtail things just to see if they like it. Why not? I mean, craft beer drinkers are known for this when it comes to craft beers- we always see people talking about buying and drinking stuff they kind of know they are going to dislike "for the tick" or to review it, maybe holding out faint hope that it might pleasantly surprise them. I think that aspect of craft culture is mainstream now.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 17:44 Mon 5/4/2015

I’m w/you on thinking that this is a fad. I just think that the arc and scope of it is going to be much bigger than even bud had imagined. They have been tossing all sorts of garbage into the market and pushing it only to see it fail time and time again. This hit big. We’ve never sold this much of any malt beverage.

But yeah, back to the original Q, I think you can stick a fork in mixtails based on my market. It was basically dead before it even started. The stuff just isn’t that good.

Bud Mixx Tail Hurricane drinks pretty good for boozy Hawaiian Punch.

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 05:25 Tue 5/5/2015

Zima was the first then all those Wine Coolers..Smirnoff Ice..MIkes....
Same audience different generations.
Though i did not mind a Zima now and again back in the day

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 05:30 Tue 5/5/2015

I still dont see why Mixxtails would get women all excited.
You can get a cheap vodka or gin at the LIquor store and buy your fixins for a basic cocktail and your buzzed all weekend instead of this weak ass crap..that will probably have your puking after 6.
Most of the gals i know aint that stupid..but then they aint 18