Carrying Beers On Your Bicycle - Basket? Panniers? Insulated?

Reads 6038 • Replies 28 • Started Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:15:27 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Travlr
beers 33894 º places 4585 º 00:44 Thu 6/25/2015

Originally posted by chriso
How about this one?
http://www.pashley.co.uk/bikes/carrier-cycles/classic-no-33.php

Think you might be able to fit a couple of extra bottles in there.
Struise has a bicycle very much like this.

humlelala
beers 1377 º places 89 º 03:17 Thu 6/25/2015

migwell
beers 369 º places 9 º 21:49 Sun 6/28/2015

migwell
beers 369 º places 9 º 21:58 Sun 6/28/2015

I’m a lifelong bicycle tourist, so I have the racks and panniers on hand. Generally, I keep at least 2 bikes, a good road bike for distance rides and a knock around/mountain bike for around town errands and the occasional off-roading, which gets the rack and bags. A sixer plus a pile of groceries is no problem.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 21:59 Sun 6/28/2015

I’ve always thought something like this would be fun.

http://cl.jroo.me/z3/n/Y/t/e/a.baa-The-Picnycle.jpg

I won a New Belgium Fat Tire bike in a raffle once at a NB release party and it came with a front basket that I suppose I’d use, but it’s never come up. I suppose I’d use a backpack or messenger bag, honestly.

Marduk
beers 21939 º places 968 º 01:25 Mon 6/29/2015

Originally posted by Ernest
Originally posted by mkgrenwel
Messenger bag or backpack.

This. Getting fancy with bike accessories is a needless waste of money and is less convenient, since you can just load up your backpack in the store when you’re checking out, no need for other bags/boxes/etc. Just carry a towel in your backpack like Arthur Dent would, to cushion the bottles from each other.

This +1. I doubt there is a safer way to transport beers on a bike than in backpack. I have tried:
1) plastic bag(s) on handle(s)- not very safe especially on bumpy road.
2) front basket- bottles are all clingy while you drive. Plus unless you got very smooth road it shakes bottles way too much.
3) back carrier bags (single and double-side)- nice and comfy tbh. But unless you pack them really full those are way too big to carry ones along all the time.
4) 6-slot-bag in between your legs- if it starts to swing (and it does) you gonna peddle like a man with swollen balls.
5) saddle bag- nice and comfy, but maximum 2 beers can fit it.
6) backpack- comes in different sizes. Almost non-clingy, very little shaky, can hold none to many beers, if empty comfy as hell, if full still comfy (plus most of them have support structures built-in to distribute weight evenly).

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 05:06 Mon 6/29/2015

Originally posted by joet
I just donated my racing bike to a local charity. This frees me up to get a practical bike for riding to/from local tastings. But what next?

The problem of transporting one to six bottles of beer poses a problem, for it’s always good to use both hands for steering.

Have you solved this problem? Can you make a recommendation?

I find my road/racing bike fine for getting to tastings or the pub! It’s got a rack on the back for panniers, and if I’m carrying several bottles I put them in a bottle bag and then put that into a pannier. The best bottle bag for this is usually the grey felt Paulaner 8-pocket "man-bag" that I acquired in Germany a few years back, but a 6-pocket wine bag is OK.

Ratman197
beers 24646 º places 200 º 14:47 Mon 6/29/2015

Pannier? I thought we called them saddlebags on this side of the pond.