Cellarmaker diacetyl problems

Reads 3311 • Replies 22 • Started Wednesday, December 24, 2014 9:51:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 21:51 Wed 12/24/2014

First off, I’m a big fan of Cellarmaker. I love what they’re doing with hops. If I were to start a brewery today, I’d probably model my operation very similar to what they’ve done. With that said, there’s one thing thats been nagging at me with most of their pale, hoppy beers…

A distinct buttered toffee note in the aroma and flavor. Yes, they get great hop aroma and flavor as well, but the buttery notes pervade in most of their pale ales and IPA’s. So far, thats the only thing that keeps me from putting these guys in the upper tier of hop forward brewers. I’ve talked to a few other experienced beer bros who’ve said the same thing. Anyone else noticed this?

I know most people outside SF probably haven’t had enough of their beers to make a judgement, but considering all the publicity they’ve had recently I thought this was a discussion that had to started.

Any thoughts?

illidurit
beers 2407 º places 20 º 22:28 Wed 12/24/2014

Yeah I taste it too. Some are pretty bad and others I don’t notice it much.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 22:30 Wed 12/24/2014

I am relatively insensitive to diacetyl and humans vary in sensitivity by at least a couple orders of magnitude, yes? This means, I am naively super enjoying pretty much everything from cellarmaker under 6.9 abv.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 23:19 Wed 12/24/2014

I’m somewhat insensitive to it too as far as off flavors go. In low levels it can actually enhance the mouthfeel in some beers, but in low gravity pale hoppy beers it shows up like a sore thumb. I think it may be a product of trying to rush some of these hoppy beers to the taps too quickly before the yeast has a chance to reabsorb the diacetyl after fermentation is complete....but what do I know.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 23:32 Wed 12/24/2014

I’ve had 23 of their beers and maybe taster butter in one of them. I know I’m not a local but Ivr had a lot of beer from them poured locally.

bytemesis
beers 15357 º places 1601 º 01:01 Thu 12/25/2014

I have not noticed it myself, but I am not an expert by any means. I get a buttery note sometimes associated with Citra hops; I have seen that in some of their beers, but did not tie it to diacetyl

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 03:50 Thu 12/25/2014

You’re all being put on timeout for jeopardizing the trade value of Cellarmaker

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 11:52 Thu 12/25/2014

Originally posted by bytemesis
I get a buttery note sometimes associated with Citra hops; I have seen that in some of their beers, but did not tie it to diacetyl

That’s interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever picked up butter in Citra.

Looking back at my Cellarmaker notes, I mention honey and toffee in a lot of my descriptions. I always thought this was weird because they use very little if any crystal malt. You can tell from the color and body of the beers. After trying their new IPA (which has the same issue as the other beers I’ve had) next to Apprentice from Societe, it definitely tasted buttery.

Whatever, it’s not really a big deal. I just wanted to see if anyone else was getting that. It seems like some are.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 12:45 Thu 12/25/2014

I got a bit of it the last time I was there, but it wasn’t something I thought to be a pervasive issue. And I’m usually pretty sensitive to it. I’m planning on going tomorrow, so I guess I’ll see what I think then. Of course now I’ll taste it in every beer.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 15:19 Fri 12/26/2014

Definitely tasted an uncomfortably high level In a couple of their beers. Not gross, but wouldn’t be acceptable for me as a brewer in hoppy styles especially. I’d be curious to know what yeast strain they use. Could be a high flocculating strain.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 21:08 Fri 12/26/2014

Okay, it was definitely there in The Glow and Tuck & Roll today. I only really got it on the nose, but it prevented me from really loving those beers that I liked otherwise.