De Molen Raad & Daad

Reads 2842 • Replies 23 • Started Monday, July 1, 2013 9:48:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bierkoning
beers 20239 º places 431 º 09:48 Mon 7/1/2013

This is to announce that De Molen Raad & Daad has two separate entries. One for the draught version (has been described as very sour) and the bottled version (less sour). John from De Molen has said that the mix of the beers used differs between the cask en bottled version, which also explains the large differences is sourness.
Raters are kindly asked to move their tasted version of Raad & Daad to the right entry.

Martinus
beers 5018 º places 224 º 11:27 Mon 7/1/2013

Come on, the Raad & Daad on draught clearly has an Acetobacter infection. Full swing sour and lots of ethylacetate in the nose. I doubt it’s a different recipe, or at least not more different than the normal variation, this typically would be the barrel, maybe combined with too warm storage.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love De Molen and their beers, had the sour version and didn’t rate it here out of respect for the bottled version which is nice. But making two seperate entries whenever it turns out that a beer has gone bad clearly isn’t the way imho, even for a hugely sympathetic brewery like De Molen. Others might start doing it too. Better to take your loss and remove the acetic casks from the market.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:29 Mon 7/1/2013

+1.

If they were truly different, they’d have named/marketed it as something else from the get go before they saw what was happening.

Don’t think this is gonna warrant a change. Just a heads up to raters.

cgarvieuk
beers 37649 º places 457 º 11:35 Mon 7/1/2013

i liked the Draught version

77ships
beers 14200 º places 919 º 11:42 Mon 7/1/2013

Changed my rating, if things change just merge my rating back – don’t delete it please.

It was a fun beer. I rated it because I have no respect & if they cared they wouldn’t be selling it.

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 00:36 Tue 7/2/2013

The color of the two beers is quite different, as put side by side and judged by the people at the Arendsnest as well. And that is almost impossible to get just by an infection. So, it’s not just the sourness that is different and therefore can only be two different beers actually.

To be honest, I think they shouldnt have brought the draft version to the market anyway, because it’s just pure vinegar. But if they want to battle with Coors Light or something in low ratings, here’s gonna be their shot.

jmgreenuk
beers 19417 º places 962 º 01:11 Tue 7/2/2013

The strange thing is that after the initial shock from the smell, I didn’t mind this beer so much. Perhaps it’s because i’m a Brit and brought up to love everything with vinegar! I won’t be drinking this stuff in pints any time soon though. I’m not sure my health insurance plan would cover it :-)

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 01:16 Tue 7/2/2013

This would not be the first time for some infection issues

77ships
beers 14200 º places 919 º 01:39 Tue 7/2/2013

Originally posted by GT2
This would not be the first time for some infection issues

Indeed but this was brutally extreme, even with my 3.8 this is still the lowest rated De Molen beer now out of 280. I rated it mostly for the experience.

502Che
beers 999 º places 47 º 03:18 Tue 7/2/2013

So it was an awful piece of crap that De Mollen shouldnt sell if they cared about the consumer (according to your earlier post), and you gave it a 3.8?

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 03:44 Tue 7/2/2013

Hang about is this not just a case of it was supposed to be the same beer but it just happened that the casks used for bottles were ok and the casks they used for draught were goosed? If so I cant see the split.