ex-yu 4 - inb4 summer

Reads 5549 • Replies 48 • Started Friday, April 3, 2015 2:23:31 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 02:16 Mon 7/6/2015

Well, it’s best to ask again shortly before that. The scenes in Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia etc are growing fast, and something might even happen in Montenegro/Kosovo/Macedonia and Albania till then. Too early to tell really.

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 02:40 Mon 7/6/2015

Originally posted by fyb
I’ll also be in the Rijeka-Krk area from 10 july and 2 weeks onward. I’ve heard you should be able to buy Zmajska’s beer in a store called Fabian, somewhere in Rijeka. Apart from that I haven’t found anything interesting that’s not mentioned here already. Any tips would be appreciated! I might have access to a rental car for a few days, so if there’s anything worth visiting that’s not too far away..?

Is there anyone located in Rijeka or nearby during that time that’d be interested in some bottle swapping?

Well, depends on your definition of "not too far away"... there is at least one pub with a good selection in Pula, and a store in Medulin. But those are around 2 hours away from Rijeka. Some other places around Istra are also that far away. There’s a bunch of brewpubs and places nearby in Slovenia too. If you have time enough, might as well go to Zagreb then.

But really close by, like, an hour or less, not really ever since Pivovara Crikvenica closed. Apart maybe from a brewpub or two in Slovenia, which only do a pale and a dark lager.

All are on the places list, I suggest you go to the Proximity map there and check it out.

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 09:32 Sun 7/12/2015

-Varionica debuted their Wit Bier, the first one brewed in Croatia (the first one on the market was Visibaba’s John Lemon, but that’s brewed in Serbia). The first batch was a great summer beer, but they pulled it since the citric tartness, despite being appealing to, say, me, was clearly off style. Shows really how serious and professional these guys on the scene here are!

-Hold’Em will apparently the unfiltered version of their All In available somewhere next week, can’t wait to try it.

There was a nice little festival in the middle of Zagreb with most craft breweries on the scene this last week and, at the same time, another in Samobor, a town close to Zagreb. TWO craft beer festivals at the same time? Unheard of here until now. :)

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 10:43 Fri 7/17/2015

Another new client brewery popped up in Croatia - Air Craft Brewery. Their first brewery will be Red Baron - a 5.0% red ale contract brewed by Pivovara Daruvar - a "tiny macro / regional" who has joined the craft revolution to an extent with their 5th Element ABA and contract-brewing Hold’em’s All In already.

https://www.facebook.com/aircraftbrewery

MarkoNm
beers 6151 º places 385 º 11:29 Fri 7/17/2015

Ok, some news from Slovenia as well - in short.

We’ve got yet another new brewery - Brew Revolt from Gorenjska region who launched their Pale Ale.

Varissh, a Postojna based gypsy brewery, is getting better and getter. Improved Dirty Red and a brand new Deep Purple (great IPA).

Reservoir Dogs are completing their apocalypse riders series with Conqueror - Session IPA.

Knap - a fairly new brewery from Zasavje, started with a pale ale.

More to come soon - rumours of new breweries and beers are already goind around.

fyb
beers 54 º places 3 º 13:12 Sat 7/18/2015

Originally posted by Marko
Originally posted by fyb
I’ll also be in the Rijeka-Krk area from 10 july and 2 weeks onward. I’ve heard you should be able to buy Zmajska’s beer in a store called Fabian, somewhere in Rijeka. Apart from that I haven’t found anything interesting that’s not mentioned here already. Any tips would be appreciated! I might have access to a rental car for a few days, so if there’s anything worth visiting that’s not too far away..?

Is there anyone located in Rijeka or nearby during that time that’d be interested in some bottle swapping?

Well, depends on your definition of "not too far away"... there is at least one pub with a good selection in Pula, and a store in Medulin. But those are around 2 hours away from Rijeka. Some other places around Istra are also that far away. There’s a bunch of brewpubs and places nearby in Slovenia too. If you have time enough, might as well go to Zagreb then.

But really close by, like, an hour or less, not really ever since Pivovara Crikvenica closed. Apart maybe from a brewpub or two in Slovenia, which only do a pale and a dark lager.

All are on the places list, I suggest you go to the Proximity map there and check it out.
Oh, that’s too bad. I might be able to visit Pula next week, but other than that I’ll probably stay within an hour’s drive from Rijeka.

Anyhow, I can confirm that you can buy Zmajska’s Porter and Pale Ale (12.5 kn each!) in the Fabian-store at the city marketplace. Drinking the PA as I’m writing this and it’s damn tasty! Haven’t found anything else worth recommending so far, except maybe the pub Fiorello at the city’s main walking-street where they had at least some other beer than the usual karlovacko etc. I had a Gulden Draak and a Liefman’s Fruitesse there. I’ll get back when I’ve done some more pubbing! :)

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 02:36 Fri 7/24/2015

Ah, that’s cool. Miiight be worthy of a place entry too, if borderline. Did you find anything else? :) Glad you liked Zmajska beers too. :)

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 02:38 Fri 7/24/2015

Originally posted by MarkoNm
Ok, some news from Slovenia as well - in short.

We’ve got yet another new brewery - Brew Revolt from Gorenjska region who launched their Pale Ale.

Varissh, a Postojna based gypsy brewery, is getting better and getter. Improved Dirty Red and a brand new Deep Purple (great IPA).

Reservoir Dogs are completing their apocalypse riders series with Conqueror - Session IPA.

Knap - a fairly new brewery from Zasavje, started with a pale ale.

More to come soon - rumours of new breweries and beers are already goind around.

Damn... I’ll need to revisit and I’ve been there recently. :D Same here really, there are rumors and plans in just about every part of the country. :)

And very glad to hear about Varissh. Seemed like cool people, but the beers were just terrible.

Anyway, there were 2 promotions on Wednesday - two kegs of Big Hoof Brown Porter - made by Nova Runda for Big Hoof in Montenegro made their way here. Supremely drinkable little brown porter. Won’t rock your world... or it will if you’re in Montenegro and the only alternative is godawful Nikšicko Tamno... but I’d have it again, definitely.

The second one was Ljeto u Zagrebu, Medvedgrad’s Witbier... superb pre-presentation / tasting at Mali Medo, with the resident chef providing food that matched the beer really well... The beer itself is very, veeeery tasty, for me at least... ended up being a bit on the estery side for a Wit, but Hefe-like banana esters mixed perfectly with the background, and the "hybrid" is most definitely a great beer.

Air Craft Brewery, a new client brewery founded by homebrewers is due to have its presentation next week - their first beer will be a red ale, contract-brewed by Daruvarska.

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 06:36 Fri 8/21/2015

So, this weekend is so full of festivals it’s insane.

21.8. as in today - a beer fest in Nova Gradiška, lead by Bošnjak.
21.8.-22,8, as in today and tomorrow - a beer fest in Daruvar, lead by Pivovara Daruvar.
22.8. as in tomorrow - Hmeljovo - a beer fest in Split lead by the local homebrew club, Udruga Hmelj

And it gets better.

27.8.-30.8. Renaissance festival in Koprivnica, hopefully with more Renaissance Porter (with nettle) by Nova Runda.
5.9. - beer fest in Medulin - again, a shitton of craft, even from Slovenia and Hungary

And from 21.8 to 30.8. are the Karlovacki dani piva - lead by Heineken Croatia, likely not interesting for the craft beer crowd and more for fans of shitty music.

Marko
admin
beers 17829 º places 879 º 13:16 Mon 8/24/2015

And now for something even more interesting. A couple from Belgrade, homebrewers, want to open a nano brewery there. They need the funding, however, and have decided to try Indiegogo. If you wish to help them make their dreams come true, and add another craft brewery to a market that desperately needs them, here you go! :)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zebrew-brewery