If this local forum goes

Reads 3939 • Replies 45 • Started Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:20:32 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 08:20 Wed 1/18/2012

Someone with the ability should start a site similar to STL Hops. There are enough beer geeks in KC that it would be a popular site.

Savvy1982
beers 1706 º places 70 º 08:32 Wed 1/18/2012

We’re probably going to do something similar in Western Canada. This "new" Metros thing has effectively killed the forums.

JohnF
10:12 Wed 1/18/2012

It would be nice. I don’t have the skills but a guy in our homebrew club set up our new website in like half an hour one day. He is pretty good. If I could talk him into getting us set up, anybody who can use the internet can edit the website or administer the forums. I’d pay the hosting/domain registration. Or a few of us could pitch in, whatever. If it did get wide use there is probably an ad or merchandise model that would make it break even (it’s not a ton of money). The problem with a STL Hops like website is getting people to contribute non-forum content. There is, I think, a place for beer writing in KC that is distinct from the republishing press releases type stuff and the original but targeted at a very wide audience stuff that Pitch or Ink do. But yeah, there needs to be a KC specific craft beer forum. That’s the only reason I’m here (I don’t rate/tick).

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 10:37 Wed 1/18/2012

Originally posted by JohnF
The problem with a STL Hops like website is getting people to contribute non-forum content. There is, I think, a place for beer writing in KC that is distinct from the republishing press releases type stuff and the original but targeted at a very wide audience stuff that Pitch or Ink do. But yeah, there needs to be a KC specific craft beer forum. That’s the only reason I’m here (I don’t rate/tick).

shouldn’t be too hard. We have 2 prolific beer writers in the local forums.
All the locals have added and updated the places on in KC.

I for one can create a whole 23rd St. fan section on a KC Hops website.

douglas88
admin
beers 13197 º places 398 º 10:59 Wed 1/18/2012

We’re working on solutions! As I said, the whole idea was to invigorate some forums that were too slow and to make everyone have a local forum. Don’t worry, I think we will end up with something great.

csbosox
beers 1229 º places 13 º 11:59 Wed 1/18/2012

This change must have been made by witches and you know what we do with witches, burn them!

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 12:14 Wed 1/18/2012

Originally posted by csbosox
This change must have been made by witches and you know what we do with witches, burn them!

tar and feather! tar and feather!

TheJermis
12:42 Wed 1/18/2012

I was just talking with Randyl the other day about KC needing a site similar to STL Hops. Discussion forums in a variety of categories would be nice. I really believe that the STL Hops community has had a huge part in creating the atmosphere perfect for the craft revolution/uprising taking place over there. I want to be involved with this project.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 14:24 Wed 1/18/2012

Originally posted by TheJermis
I want to be involved with this project.

little mice in labs are tinkering as we speak. Soon they will take over the world!

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 00:06 Thu 1/19/2012

Looking at STL Hops, I agree that would be extremely cool to have for the KC/Lawrence area, and that’s exactly the forum I had in mind (they use phpBB).

I’m not necessarily volunteering to start building and maintaining a comprehensive beer site that encompasses all of KC though, just a forum, pretty much. But if someone can demonstrate that it doesn’t take much effort, I’ll take it into consideration or at least give someone else the ability to do so.

JohnF
06:32 Thu 1/19/2012

If you can host a forum, let’s start there. We can add the rest later but if we can’t build a good base of people visiting the site, there is no point in adding additional content.

I’m trying to recruit someone with web development skills so if and when it makes sense to do features beyond a forum, we can do so.