IP trades - is it worth bringing beers from UK?

Reads 1077 • Replies 14 • Started Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:29:12 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

gad905
beers 203 º places 8 º 16:29 Thu 8/21/2014

Completely new to trading and the like. I’m touring the West Coast, SD -> Seattle, next month and wondered if it was worth bringing some beers (BA imp stouts etc) over from the brewery I work for (BrewDog) to try and trade in bars I visit. Will their rarity in the US mean anything or do people not really care about UK craft cos domestic is so good? Do I need to set things up in advance or should I just stroll in and speak to the bartender?

Christos
beers 6111 º places 110 º 16:47 Thu 8/21/2014

I’d say make a new FT thread with the beers you have, mentioning on the title that it will be an IP for Seattle, also maybe post on the US metro forums (no idea under where Seattle falls), you can then see if there is interest on the beers you’re looking to trade. Setting things in advance is definitely a pro.

Christos
beers 6111 º places 110 º 16:49 Thu 8/21/2014

Also maybe update your wants/haves.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 17:29 Thu 8/21/2014

I wouldn’t go walking into bars in the Seattle area toting a bottle and asking for a trade without first contacting the bar owner and/or any potential traders.

gad905
beers 203 º places 8 º 17:42 Thu 8/21/2014

Duly noted. I only got the idea from a dude that walked into my bar asking if any of us wanted to trade anything (I did); I guess off-the-cuff IP trades aren’t really a thing huh?

drfabulous
beers 15608 º places 239 º 18:00 Thu 8/21/2014

I’d think The Kernel beers would have good trade value.

weihenweizen
beers 6991 º places 700 º 18:26 Thu 8/21/2014

Crucial to set up an in person trade. By the way really enjoy their tv show.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 19:39 Thu 8/21/2014

Originally posted by gad905
Duly noted. I only got the idea from a dude that walked into my bar asking if any of us wanted to trade anything (I did); I guess off-the-cuff IP trades aren’t really a thing huh?

Not familiar with Washington laws on the matter, but frequently in the US its not legal to bring alcohol into an establishment unless its sold there.

And, if its not illegal, sometimes myopic bar owners have a one size fits all policy that no outside booze is permitted.

On the other, hand you may just run into some cool people, like yourself, who will relish your beer and make a nice trade. Its a crapshoot.

charule
beers 2306 º places 121 º 21:54 Thu 8/21/2014

Ive done it before with other beers at breweries. For instance I was coming back from KBS Day and stopped at Darkhorse and just asked the server if they knew anyone interested in KBS for BBP5TH. Swapped 4 packs after they were able to grab some from home quick.

But in your case coming from so far away Id set it up beforehand and leave your goodies in your car.

Leighton
beers 33739 º places 1204 º 01:45 Fri 8/22/2014

Originally posted by gad905
Completely new to trading and the like. I’m touring the West Coast, SD -> Seattle, next month and wondered if it was worth bringing some beers (BA imp stouts etc) over from the brewery I work for (BrewDog) to try and trade in bars I visit. Will their rarity in the US mean anything or do people not really care about UK craft cos domestic is so good? Do I need to set things up in advance or should I just stroll in and speak to the bartender?

BrewDog beers have an interesting reputation in the US. Their first roll-out back in c. 2009 wasn’t completely successful. The beers weren’t always fresh, but they were always expensive. Much more expensive than comparable domestic beers. So people got a bit jaded with BD. But I think BD has gotten a lot better since then (both beer quality and, for certain beers, price), and if you brought some of the good stuff that’s come out recently I’m sure people would be interested.

You should always try to set up a trade in advance. If you just want to give a beer to a bar or brewery then you can just walk in and do it. Sometimes they will reciprocate, maybe give you a free drink or open a special bottle they have. You can’t count on this to happen, but it’s not uncommon. I know guys who do this all the time and have some great stories about about bars/breweries being generous in return.

In terms of the ’trade value’ of UK beers, the most desirable at the moment seem to be The Kernel and Old Chimneys. People want Kernel because it’s fantastic beer and not available in the US. People generally only want one beer from Old Chimneys - Good King Henry Special Reserve - because it is an RB Top 50 beer and I don’t think it has ever been sold in the US.

cgarvieuk
beers 37649 º places 457 º 02:08 Fri 8/22/2014

Id defintly head over to the local forum, and set up in person trades. Youd be surprised what people want, often its a brewery near some one they know, or a beer with a particular name (thats easy for us to find)

Also by setting up in-person trades, you get to meet some of the local people who will steer you to the better places etc.

Last time i was in the US i brought over 80 Bottles of UK beer for trade and gift.

Trading Policy  

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

View Beer Deliveries
New To Trading?
Mail Order Beer
 P  Most Wanted Beer