ISO: 2005 & 2006 BCBS FT: Bar Fly, DWtD, others...

Reads 2048 • Replies 21 • Started Sunday, May 17, 2015 8:56:17 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 13:10 Tue 5/19/2015

Originally posted by wedgie9
Originally posted by sethdude
In defense of Dr. Owl, many of these acronyms aren’t as common as hardcore tradebros think they are. If you don’t want to be troubled to use English and explain what you are talking about, expect many to have no clue what you are talking about. If I told you I wanted to trade a RAFOTBE for a LPP, would you know what I was talking about?

If you don’t know what the acronyms are, you probably don’t have the beer anyway, so I’m not sure it really matters all that much in the long run.

This is a fairly common refrain here. While the first part of your statement is true the vast majority of the time, I don’t think the bolded part is. For example, people like to know what certain beers are trading for. Not everyone is in on the freshest acronyms, like myself, but I can pick up on those things if given the right push and perhaps that will benefit me down the line in trying to make a trade. People may know some or most of the acronyms in the post, but not all. Does that mean that person shouldn’t be allowed to inquire, simply because he doesn’t have the "ammo" to do the trade? Surely it would be instructive for future potential trades, like in the scenario I mentioned earlier.

At the end of the day, if someone seriously asks what an abbreviation means, I don’t see the harm in responding, even if it doesn’t directly end up in getting a trade done. If nothing else, it helps the community.

sethdude
beers 708 º places 17 º 13:35 Tue 5/19/2015

Plus, a trade forum that reads like a stock ticker further illustrates the ridiculous commoditization of beer in the past few years. Not all of us are day-traders.

mdg164
13:55 Tue 5/19/2015

1) He wasn’t seriously asking, he was trolling.
2) I agree, if they don’t know what the acronyms are, they probably don’t have it.
3) KBS, BCBS, are about as common as they come. KBS is actually the name of the beer!

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 14:00 Tue 5/19/2015

Originally posted by mdg164
2) I agree, if they don’t know what the acronyms are, they probably don’t have it.
3) KBS, BCBS, are about as common as they come. KBS is actually the name of the beer!

1) I know, which is why I made that clear in my post. I’m all for not feeding the trolls.

2) My point still stands.

3) Admittedly, I pulled the Rule 12 card for KBS and was told multiple times in the thread that KBS was in fact the name of the beer. I’ve been known to be wrong on several occasions.

hallinghansen
beers 5207 º places 83 º 14:53 Tue 5/19/2015

Maybe people can go to a beerstore and buy the beers, who knows.
BCBS isn’t the exact name of the beer. Therefore Spell it out. Rules are rules.

wedgie9
beers 2703 º places 34 º 15:37 Tue 5/19/2015

Originally posted by hallinghansen

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/initial-isms-acronyms-are-back_274743.htm

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 20:40 Tue 5/19/2015

So I take it no one has BCBS ’05 or ’06?

Also I will throw out that this is what the results of googling BCBS + beer: https://www.google.com/search?q=BCBS&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=BCBS+beer

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 21:11 Tue 5/19/2015

second link

http://www.gooseisland.com/beer/bourbon-county-stout.html

That’s why this website uses BCS over BCBS. Brewer intent vs. beer advocate user intent.

But seriously people, can we get less garbage in here please?

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 22:59 Tue 5/19/2015

Originally posted by pepsican
second link

http://www.gooseisland.com/beer/bourbon-county-stout.html

That’s why this website uses BCS over BCBS. Brewer intent vs. beer advocate user intent.

But seriously people, can we get less garbage in here please?

I don’t disagree, but my friend primarily uses BA and that’s why I’m sure it said BCBS when he sent me the details. I hardly ever use the trade forum, but told him I would post for him since he wants to complete this vertical. I’m sure at this point that will not be possible and this thread can be removed. Trust me I didn’t expect this to be two pages about trade policy.

hallinghansen
beers 5207 º places 83 º 11:58 Wed 5/20/2015

Originally posted by wedgie9
Originally posted by hallinghansen

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/initial-isms-acronyms-are-back_274743.htm

Nooooooooo

Freeze the threads then, don’t let go of the rule.
If half the population drives to fast, will the government drop the speed limits then?

Trading Policy  

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

View Beer Deliveries
New To Trading?
Mail Order Beer
 P  Most Wanted Beer