KU vs. Mizzou

Reads 2515 • Replies 25 • Started Saturday, February 4, 2012 3:06:26 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

theisti
beers 5287 º places 1153 º 10:13 Sun 2/5/2012

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
some upsets tonight. Marquette got smoked (sorry Tim). UNLV lost. Creighton lost.

Yeah, that was a samckdown. ND was hot, they’re tough at home. I really hope we get them in the Garden.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 12:39 Tue 2/7/2012

ku are being bitches about not wanting to play Mizzou anymore. The rivalry ought to be bigger than any conference affiliation. Hopefully emotions will cool in a couple of years and we can resume the Border War.

theisti
beers 5287 º places 1153 º 17:52 Tue 2/7/2012

Originally posted by JoeinEscazú
ku are being bitches about not wanting to play Mizzou anymore. The rivalry ought to be bigger than any conference affiliation. Hopefully emotions will cool in a couple of years and we can resume the Border War.

First off, KU and MU fans annoy me equally.

My opinion on this is KU is 100% in the right. If my wife left me, but (still) wanted to have sex once a year, I would say hell no. Why? Because it was her choice to leave me.

Now, I am sure when the emotion drains out of this, they will play again similar to the Illinois Missouri game. Why? Money, of course.

Gregis
beers 1281 º places 24 º 00:23 Wed 2/8/2012

Originally posted by theisti

That’s an interesting statement. Personally, I have found that all of the Marquette fans I’ve met have been stand-up folks.

theisti
beers 5287 º places 1153 º 10:25 Wed 2/8/2012

Originally posted by Gregis
Originally posted by theisti

That’s an interesting statement. Personally, I have found that all of the Marquette fans I’ve met have been stand-up folks.

Hey, I said equally - that could mean that they annoy me 0%!

hwwty4
beers 1 º places 1 º 10:38 Wed 2/8/2012

I actually would have to agree with Tim here. Kansas is in the right, though I really do hope they find a way to continue the rivalry.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 12:05 Wed 2/8/2012

Originally posted by hwwty4
I actually would have to agree with Tim here. Kansas is in the right, though I really do hope they find a way to continue the rivalry.

agreed.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 13:07 Wed 2/8/2012

A few points:

*Missouri and Kansas have been playing each other since 1891. If we want to go way back, the hatin’ itself goes back to the violence of the 1850s.

*The Big 12 has only been around since 1996 and will only last as long as Texas and Oklahoma want it to.

*Missouri and Kansas have been in the same conference since 1907 (Missouri Valley then Big 8). It’s been a long time, but the rivalry started before that.

*Besides the fact that wife-girlfriend analogies are absurd and played out when we’re talking about conference realignment, Missouri did not leave Kansas. It left the Big 12. Missouri will always be right next to Kansas. I’ve met some smart ku folks, but I don’t know how they teach geography over there, so I’ll explain: We share a border. That’s why it’s called the Border War.

*The Red River Rivalry has been going on since 1900, yet Texas and Oklahoma did not share a conference until 1996.

*Rivalries are fun. They are one of the things that make college sports exciting. Why give up that fun because of some bullshit conference politics?

hwwty4
beers 1 º places 1 º 14:36 Wed 2/8/2012

Mizzou left the Big 12 for money. Period. I understand why KU feels slighted. They thought there was some loyalty to the rivalry. As a life long MU fan and Mizzou grad, it saddened me that we left that. I love hating Kansas. With the rivalry ending for the foreseeable future, it leaves me with one less thing to hate Kansas for.

theisti
beers 5287 º places 1153 º 15:17 Wed 2/8/2012

Originally posted by JoeinEscazú
A few points:

*Missouri and Kansas have been playing each other since 1891. If we want to go way back, the hatin’ itself goes back to the violence of the 1850s.

*The Big 12 has only been around since 1996 and will only last as long as Texas and Oklahoma want it to.

*Missouri and Kansas have been in the same conference since 1907 (Missouri Valley then Big 8). It’s been a long time, but the rivalry started before that.

*Besides the fact that wife-girlfriend analogies are absurd and played out when we’re talking about conference realignment, Missouri did not leave Kansas. It left the Big 12. Missouri will always be right next to Kansas. I’ve met some smart ku folks, but I don’t know how they teach geography over there, so I’ll explain: We share a border. That’s why it’s called the Border War.

*The Red River Rivalry has been going on since 1900, yet Texas and Oklahoma did not share a conference until 1996.

*Rivalries are fun. They are one of the things that make college sports exciting. Why give up that fun because of some bullshit conference politics?

Answer to all of the above - you give up the fun because of bullshit conference politics.

MU left the Big 12, and in my mind (at least in the short term) the Border War goes with it.

When you coming back to Missouri Joe?