KU vs. Mizzou

Reads 2514 • Replies 25 • Started Saturday, February 4, 2012 3:06:26 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 16:04 Wed 2/8/2012

Originally posted by JoeinEscazú
A few points:

*Missouri and Kansas have been playing each other since 1891. If we want to go way back, the hatin’ itself goes back to the violence of the 1850s.

*The Big 12 has only been around since 1996 and will only last as long as Texas and Oklahoma want it to.

*Missouri and Kansas have been in the same conference since 1907 (Missouri Valley then Big 8). It’s been a long time, but the rivalry started before that.

I think you answered your own question. Less than 20 years of playing basketball while not in a conference. Then over 100 years of being in the same conference. I don’t think you can skip the 100 years of conference play and say, oh conferences don’t make a difference.

More importantly, instead of bashing KU, are you happy with Mizzou leaving for the SEC? I have not met one Mizzou fan that is happy to play in the SEC. Sure it will make more money for the school but most likely make the football team look crappy. And its not like playing basketball in the SEC will make the basketball team seem better. Everyone already knows Mizzou has a good basketball program.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 07:57 Thu 2/9/2012

First of all, while it would be naïve to say that it wasn’t about money, a major factor in the move was stability. The Big 12 looks like a sinking ship -- it still does -- and to the MUs, KUs, ISUs, KSUs of the world, that is a scary prospect. Money is one part of that, the threat of one day being shunted to a much less profitable conference. The days when we could re-form the Big 8 into something respectable were gone, especially since Colorado and Nebraska had already flown. Then there is the question: How much BS from Texas are you guys going to put up with? Every other conference has true equal revenue sharing and is at least looking at a conference TV network like the one that’s making the Big 10 so much cash. Texas will never let it happen. Considering that context, and the strongest conference in the country comes along and says, "psst, we might have a spot for you..."

But I didn’t answer your question. No, I’m not wild about leaving the Big 12 for the SEC. But that’s mainly because I’m a hoops fan first and I think this year’s edition of the Big 12 is the best basketball conference in the land. I loved getting rid of dead weight Colorado and Nebraska for a tough, round-robin format, and I wish it could have stayed that way. Instead, we get it for just one season. I consider us seriously lucky that both Missouri and Kansas are really strong this year... these are going to be some great, memorable games.

I should say that most MU fans I know are ecstatic about the move. Football has become much more popular than basketball at Mizzou and that’s what has fueled this... When they saw an opportunity for the SEC, the football-loving alumni made their preference known, loud and clear.

I think what must drive Kansas crazy is it has this incredible basketball tradition, but that appears impotent in a world now driven by football TV money. I could understand that. What I don’t understand is why people equate Missouri leaving the Big 12 with Missouri leaving the rivarly. They are not at all the same thing. The Mizzou AD has consistently said it wants to keep playing its rivals.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 08:09 Thu 2/9/2012

How much BS from Texas are you guys going to put up with? Every other conference has true equal revenue sharing and is at least looking at a conference TV network like the one that’s making the Big 10 so much cash. Texas will never let it happen. Considering that context, and the strongest conference in the country comes along and says, "psst, we might have a spot for you..."

KU is willing to take as much BS from Texas as needed. Not being a football school and only a basketball school we should be happy to get the money we do not deserve yet get to keep our basketball team in a very powerful conference. I can understand why the other schools want to leave, as far as money goes.

I loved getting rid of dead weight Colorado and Nebraska for a tough, round-robin format, and I wish it could have stayed that way. Instead, we get it for just one season. I consider us seriously lucky that both Missouri and Kansas are really strong this year... these are going to be some great, memorable games.

agreed. I wish it could have stayed this way as well. Especially, how we are beating on Baylor. A 10 team Big12 would have been a great conference for all, not just basketball.

I should say that most MU fans I know are ecstatic about the move. Football has become much more popular than basketball at Mizzou and that’s what has fueled this... When they saw an opportunity for the SEC, the football-loving alumni made their preference known, loud and clear.

Lets just hope Mizzou does not become the KU of the SEC

What I don’t understand is why people equate Missouri leaving the Big 12 with Missouri leaving the rivarly. They are not at all the same thing. The Mizzou AD has consistently said it wants to keep playing its rivals.

as stated earlier you cannot have your cake and eat it too. You can’t leave for more money and expect your old job to still welcome you whenever you want to come by and use the office supplies.

hwwty4
beers 1 º places 1 º 08:27 Thu 2/9/2012

>I should say that most MU fans I know are ecstatic about the move.

I 100% disagree with this statement as a sample for the general population. I hang out in CoMo a lot, and probably only about 10% of the people I talk to are happy about a move. And there is a strong correlation between this 10% and booster clubs.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 07:47 Fri 2/10/2012

Then I guess those boosters should have spoken up when the pro-SEC koolaid drinkers were mounting their I-will-pull-donation s-if-we-stay-in-Bi g-12-but-increase- if-we-go-to-SEC phone and email campaign.

I sent a couple emails saying "um, gosh, hey guys, maybe we should think this through" but I guess they weren’t sexy enough. Should have threatened to pull my non-existent donations.