Lactic Acid vs. Acidulated Malt

Reads 11229 • Replies 19 • Started Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:51:26 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 17:51 Thu 12/19/2013

How much Lactic Acid would you add to a mash to get the same result as half a pound of Acidulated Malt?

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 18:15 Thu 12/19/2013

Go here: http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

and download the spreadsheet. I’m assuming you’re trying to get to an ideal mash pH? It will give you options for adding your water profile, malt bill and then other things like gypsum, calcium chloride or epsom salts to get you in the right range. It also has a place for you to add acidualted malt and/or lactic acid.

I’m too lazy to reasearch how accurate it is, but it looks pretty well put together and has always helped me make pretty good lagers. Especially Bo Pils, which needs a pretty tight water profile.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:05 Thu 12/19/2013

Originally posted by joeneugs
Especially Bo Pils, which needs a pretty tight water profile.

That’s what I’m thinking, and I have a recipe that calls for acidulated malt.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 19:37 Thu 12/19/2013

Yeah, you don’t want to go too heavy on the acid malt or lactic acid. Are you using RO water? Are you doing a decoction? Typically the acidulated malt should be below 3% of the malt bill or you risk some sour flavors in the finished product (or so I’ve heard). I used acid malt in a Bo Pils a while back at about 2% of the malt bill and it didn’t contribute any off flavors to my palate. It did pretty well in competition too.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 19:52 Thu 12/19/2013

I’ve heard that acidulated malt can actually contribute some positive flavors to the beer as long as it’s used in moderation (below 3%). So I guess it would be preferable to lactic acid if you have the choice. Calcium will also lower the pH of the mash, albeit to a much lesser degree than lactic or acid malt. If you’re going with RO water, add enough calcium chloride to get you around 50 ppm of calcium (the spreadsheet will help you calculate this) and then add enough acid malt to get you somewhere in the 5.4-5.6 pH range in the mash. That should be enough even if you’re going will all Pilsner malt.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 22:58 Thu 12/19/2013

Dopey question: Is acid malt fermentable? I assume so, since my OG values haven’t changed as a result of using 2 - 2.5% Weyermann Sauermalz in place of some Weizen.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 08:19 Fri 12/20/2013

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Dopey question: Is acid malt fermentable? I assume so, since my OG values haven’t changed as a result of using 2 - 2.5% Weyermann Sauermalz in place of some Weizen.

Well, a quick google search showed a couple sources saying acidulated malt is just regular 2-row sprayed with lactic acid. So yes, it’s fermentable.

I guess that means it doesn’t really matter whether you use acidulated malt or lactic acid.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:35 Fri 12/20/2013

Well, a quick google search showed a couple sources saying acidulated malt is just regular 2-row sprayed with lactic acid. So yes, it’s fermentable.

I guess that means it doesn’t really matter whether you use acidulated malt or lactic acid.

^^ true in all or most cases?

CLevar
places 23 º 08:36 Fri 12/20/2013

Originally posted by joet

^^ true in all or most cases?

It depends. Too much acid malt in the mash with get your pH out of whack.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:50 Fri 12/20/2013

no, i mean acidulated malt is always 2-row sprayed with lactic acid

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 09:20 Fri 12/20/2013

Don’t quote me on the spraying thing, but it’s definitely just 2-row with lactic acid. Weyermann is the only maltster that I know of that produces acidulated.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer