Looking for input on making a good saison

Reads 12685 • Replies 31 • Started Friday, May 28, 2010 7:59:03 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ToolHead
beers 266 º places 1 º 07:36 Sun 5/30/2010

erway:

We used 4 kg. rice hulls in 20 kg. Weyermann wheat malt (for a 71 liter batch (= 18.76 US gallons)).

Perfect runoff (we use a Blichmann Boilermaker and never seem to have trouble with runoff).

We fermented in three separate fermenters with Wyeast 3711, WLP566 and De Dolle Brouwers Arabier yeast (cultured from bottles), respectively.

All three versions turned pretty clear after a couple of weeks (though we didn’t use any clearing agents). Three months from brewday, all three versions are very clear - even coming straight from the fridge.

Definitely one of the most rewarding experiments we’ve done. Give it a go!

barncatmatt
beers 2287 º places 71 º 08:11 Sun 5/30/2010

Originally posted by erway
I personally like the addition of wheat malt in many different styles. It’s my thing so I say keep it. As far as specialty malts, as long as your not using something that will take away from fermentability, it’s up to your own taste. I, like many, do not feel that you should rely on spices, instead use the right yeast. Mash at 145 for 60 min. If you can find a pils malt low enough in DMSO and SMM, go ahead and only boil for 60 min. otherwise don’t chance it. The only pils malt that I would trust for this is Durst. I have ceased using Belgian Pils malt (castle/dingemans) because of it’s unusually high levels. I have yet to brew extensively with Franco-Belges Pils, so I can’t say for that. Weyerman is very nice, but I have found that a 90 min. strong boil is necessary.

For hops, get creative if you like. Sterling could be great here. I have really liked a blend of amarillo with noble varieties like Saphir. Spalt is a big favorite of mine for the style. It’s up to your taste how much IMO. I have gone as high as Bo-Pils levels of hops and it has come out great. I think a 7-8% Saison/IPA could be pretty awesome.

As far as yeast, my preference is to blend. I do not like sitting around and twittling my thumbs. 3 weeks in primary seems silly to me. If you really want to stick to Dupont strains, then go ahead and do it, but blend them. WLP 566 and WLP565/Wyeast 3724 are both Dupont strains. The 565/3724 is spicier, while the 566 has more of the apricot, pineapple aromatics. I have used the 566 solely for a lot of saisons, because it floccs better, so it works for repitching in a conical, and it ferments out, which means I could make a saison in a 14 day brew cycle, but I think blending them in an open fermenter or a carboy would be ideal. Solely that yeast is plenty spicy, ferments clean in the upper 80s, and ferments out in 5-6 days with 94%+ AA.

Ferment somewhere between 80-88. Some will tell you to go higher, and they might have with great luck. I myself have brewed a very nice saison that got as hot as 94. I once chanced it and got a very fusely mess of a beer though. Never again. You’ll get plenty of character anywhere in that 80-88 range. Plenty, and you won’t be risking quite so much, but hey, if you like gambling, be my guest.

On a side note...When are one of you guys gonna make one of these with a bordeaux wine yeast and report back? Common, there’s got to be someone that wants to try this.

what are some commercially availible bordeaux strains?

faithinchaos
08:35 Sun 5/30/2010

i was planning on doing that last summer but missed the chance for whatever reason. would’ve done it this summer but i got some 3726 and have plenty of beers to make with it :)

ketchepillar
beers 1218 º places 18 º 13:01 Sun 5/30/2010

Originally posted by GEOBRAU
I live in the awesome state of AZ

Add some sinamar to darken it then name it the Racial Profiling Ale.

GEOBRAU
beers 188 º 16:47 Sun 5/30/2010

If you are referring to the new immigration law that name would be inappropriate because it strictly forbids racial profiling. Reading is fundamental. Cheers!

Originally posted by ketchepillar
Originally posted by GEOBRAU
I live in the awesome state of AZ

Add some sinamar to darken it then name it the Racial Profiling Ale.

GEOBRAU
beers 188 º 11:11 Mon 5/31/2010

Here is what I’m brewing today...

Thanks for the input people....

mini mash
12 oz. castle Belgian Pilsen
9.6 oz. Rahr White Wheat
9.6 oz. Castle Belgian Cara-Pils)

Fermentables
3# Briess Pilsen extra light DME
2# Muntons Wheat DME
1# cane sugar

Hops
1 oz Styrian goldings 60 min
1 oz EKG 30 min
.24 oz Hallertau 15min
.24 oz Hallertau aroma

Wyeast 3724

No spices!

faithinchaos
13:13 Mon 5/31/2010

no carapils either.

SuzyGreenberg
beers 1604 º places 32 º 13:33 Mon 5/31/2010

brewed this on saturday:

3.15 lbs. Pilsen LME
1.0 lbs. Pilsen DME
1.0 lbs. Bavarian Wheat DME

Mini-mash:
0.50 lbs. Belgian Caravienne
0.50 lbs. Vienna
0.25 lbs. Flaked Wheat

1.0 oz. Kent Goldings (60)
1.0 oz. Czech Saaz (10)
1.0 oz. Czech Saaz (KO)

Wyeast #3711

OG 1.046 and fermenting in low 80’s

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 21:02 Mon 5/31/2010

Unfortunately, this is a style that I thinks necessitates doing AG or at least the vast majority. There is no extract that I know of that will be 90%+ fermentable, and that is, without a doubt, one of the defining characteristics of a saison.

FYI Briess seems to be the worst. Using the Pils DME, I made a 7P pale ale for my pregnant wife, figuring that it would finish at 3 because the Briess lacks much fermentable sugar...I was wrong. It finished at 4! Only 1.5% ABV which is fine. Hence the name...Preggers Pale Ale.

mtoast
beers 336 º places 13 º 21:12 Mon 5/31/2010

Originally posted by erway
On a side note...When are one of you guys gonna make one of these with a bordeaux wine yeast and report back? Common, there’s got to be someone that wants to try this.

Is Lalvin RC 212 "bordeaux-ish" enough for you? If so, I’m on it.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer