Marshal Zhukov Clone

Reads 9082 • Replies 54 • Started Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:10:38 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Yancheng
beers 3 º places 1 º 20:10 Thu 2/27/2014

Anyone has had luck with making one recently? Trying to help a buddy out with his dreams.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 21:55 Thu 2/27/2014

So, looking at Ratebeer, there are seven various barrel versions plus the base, which weighs in at 11%ABV. Fairly big, but not crazy. Elsewhere it says 80 IBU, which is way more hops than the average RIS (and crazily higher bitterness than the historical beer, but I digress.)

Notes/Commercial Description:
This Russian Imperial Stout is dedicated to Georgy Zhukov, arguably one of the finest generals of World War II. Opaque black in color, with notes of espresso, chocolate, dark toffee and hints of backstrap molasses. The English hop varietals provide a subtle herbal dryness, and finishes with a hearty slap of roasty espresso. Pair Marshal Zhukov’s with Mushroom Solyanka, dark chocolate, cherries and ground wars in Russia.

We brew and release Zhukov’s in the summer knowing that a beer of this heft reaches its full potential a few months after release. So save a bottle for the cold winter!

Here is a recent AHA national winner:
http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BadenovRussianImperialStout
Probably in the ballpark.

Yancheng
beers 3 º places 1 º 03:04 Fri 2/28/2014

Thanks man! But i was just thinking that the recipe you gave could just as easily be a clone of top-of-the-range IRS eg Kate The Great, Plead the fifth. Was thinking of a recipe which could nail Zhukov’s mouthfeel.

HornyDevil
03:44 Fri 2/28/2014

Ask the guys at Cigar City. Trying to clone beers is the very essence of stupidity and is probably the least creative thing that anyone can do in regards to homebrewing. You want a specific beer? Buy the fucking beer. You want to homebrew great beer? Do your research and ask questions here.

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 04:47 Fri 2/28/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Ask the guys at Cigar City. Trying to clone beers is the very essence of stupidity and is probably the least creative thing that anyone can do in regards to homebrewing. You want a specific beer? Buy the fucking beer. You want to homebrew great beer? Do your research and ask questions here.

A bit strong but I agree with the sentiment.

Yancheng
beers 3 º places 1 º 05:17 Fri 2/28/2014

Well, we’re based in Singapore where Zhukov hardly visits, if at all. Fair points. We just wanted to make a stout thicker than your fucking cum and get something we can’t find here. Brewing materials here are really expensive so experimenting, while cool, is a luxury we can’t indulge in regularly. Was aiming for a cool base we could make adjustments to, that’s all. And Zhukov looked like it would fit the bill.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 06:00 Fri 2/28/2014

I don’t think it’s 80 IBU probably between 40 and 60. It was very bitter for the style from memory but definitely not 80.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 06:55 Fri 2/28/2014

80 IBU for a +10% Russian Imperial Stout doesn’t seem over the top to me.

CLevar
places 23 º 07:11 Fri 2/28/2014

To the OP- Homebrewing is not just about creativity. Sometimes I just want to drink 5 gal of beer I spent 40 bucks on, rather than a 750 of a similar beer I spent 10 bucks on.

Good luck. Don’t mind HD. I think he’s just an angry old man who is looking for something to do to pass the time.

HornyDevil
07:53 Fri 2/28/2014

Originally posted by CLevar
Don’t mind HD. I think he’s just an angry old man who is looking for something to do to pass the time.

Do I really come off as angry? And old?

Mission accomplished.

CLevar
places 23 º 08:00 Fri 2/28/2014

Originally posted by CLevar
Don’t mind HD. I think he’s just an angry old man who is looking for something to do to pass the time.

Do I really come off as angry? And old?

Mission accomplished.

No, you mostly just come off as an unhelpful dick, but I didn’t think that we were supposed to use that kinda language here.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer