Meijer cuts deal with Bell’s to put Hopslam in all stores

Reads 6177 • Replies 27 • Started Friday, January 17, 2014 9:42:08 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 14:17 Fri 1/17/2014

Originally posted by kbutler1
Originally posted by joet
This is potentially super cool for RateBeer.

how so?

Meijer cuts deal with Bell’s to put Hopslam in all stores

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 14:40 Fri 1/17/2014

how so?

I’m not currently at liberty to discuss this, but I may be soon. Of course this involves no sponsorship with the brewery itself.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 14:53 Fri 1/17/2014

My Meijer has a really good selection of beers aging away on their shelves. Prices run high and they don’t move much at all.

BeerChampanes
14:56 Fri 1/17/2014

My only problem with it that our independent store keeps having it’s allocation decreasing every year.

bgburdman9
beers 861 º places 25 º 17:35 Fri 1/17/2014

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
My Meijer has a really good selection of beers aging away on their shelves. Prices run high and they don’t move much at all.

Are the prices really higher? It seems like just about every store I have been to in Ohio sells all beer at state minimum. I would think a huge grocery store would be at the lowest price if all the small stores are.

nuplastikk
beers 9935 º places 73 º 22:12 Fri 1/17/2014

Originally posted by bgburdman9
Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
It seems like just about every store I have been to in Ohio sells all beer at state minimum.

Are there state minimums? I have never heard of such a thing.

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 22:29 Fri 1/17/2014

It’s not legal in OH to sell beer below retail price invoiced by the distributor, unless they cut you a deal or something.

bgburdman9
beers 861 º places 25 º 05:15 Sat 1/18/2014

Originally posted by DrSilverworm
It’s not legal in OH to sell beer below retail price invoiced by the distributor, unless they cut you a deal or something.

I believe in order to clearance an item you have to not carry it for the next 12 months. If an item is marked down one place it is usually marked down for everyone and usually only the large crafts like sierra nevada/sam adams/great lakes get marked down

kbutler1
beers 1383 º places 107 º 08:25 Sat 1/18/2014

how so?

I’m not currently at liberty to discuss this, but I may be soon. Of course this involves no sponsorship with the brewery itself.

Gotcha, but really spill the beans man!

I guess where I was coming from is that Meijer will take quite a bit of this beer and us beer fans won’t know to look for it there. On one hand it may expose more non-craft fans to a fantastic beer which is a good thing but if the beer just ends up sitting on shelves and wasting away because 1) we don’t know to look for it there and 2) people don’t buy it due to the price point (if it indeed is really high) than that is not good for anyone.

Hopefully, this deal means that Bells increased their production of HopSlam.

blklab2007
beers 2121 º places 17 º 13:14 Sat 1/18/2014

Connecticut has a minimum price law. We had a total wine open in my area and they initially had prices at below the state minimum to gain a foot hold on the market. The prices slowly crept up to minimum pricing but it took them a few months. Now all the other stores in the area have signs out front stating they will price match any other stores price because no one else has shelf pricing that low.