Meijer cuts deal with Bell’s to put Hopslam in all stores

Reads 6174 • Replies 27 • Started Friday, January 17, 2014 9:42:08 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 13:16 Sat 1/18/2014

Originally posted by blklab2007
Connecticut has a minimum price law. We had a total wine open in my area and they initially had prices at below the state minimum to gain a foot hold on the market. The prices slowly crept up to minimum pricing but it took them a few months. Now all the other stores in the area have signs out front stating they will price match any other stores price because no one else has shelf pricing that low.

what do minimum price laws mean if beers can be retailed for below min price?

blklab2007
beers 2121 º places 17 º 13:35 Sat 1/18/2014

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by blklab2007
Connecticut has a minimum price law. We had a total wine open in my area and they initially had prices at below the state minimum to gain a foot hold on the market. The prices slowly crept up to minimum pricing but it took them a few months. Now all the other stores in the area have signs out front stating they will price match any other stores price because no one else has shelf pricing that low.

what do minimum price laws mean if beers can be retailed for below min price?

That was what I thought and from what I heard they were going to do what they wanted and were willing to take it to court and fight the laws that they viewed as unfair and illegal. Basically a huge chain flexing it’s muscles in a new states market.

http://www.ctmirror.org/story/2013/02/26/finally-store-competes-price-vintage-lobbyist

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 14:48 Sat 1/18/2014

So who is benefiting from these state minimums? Retailer? Distributor? And how are the prices determined. For example, I just saw sixers of Abita in OH at a grocery chain for $9.99. In NC, they ran about $6.99 - $8.49 tops. I was looking at that and saying how the hell will average Abita compete in this market? To me their price point seemed the logical explanation for their success in a crowded market.

Sorry for tangent, Meijer cuts deal with Bell’s...

BeerChampanes
16:07 Sat 1/18/2014

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
So who is benefiting from these state minimums? Retailer? Distributor? And how are the prices determined. For example, I just saw sixers of Abita in OH at a grocery chain for $9.99. In NC, they ran about $6.99 - $8.49 tops. I was looking at that and saying how the hell will average Abita compete in this market? To me their price point seemed the logical explanation for their success in a crowded market.

Sorry for tangent, Meijer cuts deal with Bell’s...

State to State price comparisons can throw you off due to different State Beer Taxes included in wholesale cost.

Michigan does not allow beer prices below wholesale cost unless it is a discontinued item and your store cannot carry that item for a period of time after.

BeerChampanes
17:55 Sun 1/19/2014

Just saw the Meijer ad on ratebeer front page before login.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 17:57 Sun 1/19/2014

Originally posted by BeerChampanes
Just saw the Meijer ad on ratebeer front page before login.

I get hyatt because I’ve recently been looking for hotels.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 18:52 Sun 1/19/2014

Well short fill the bottles and more to go around