Men’s Journal "25 Best Beers in America"

Reads 7076 • Replies 35 • Started Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:18:07 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MI2CA
beers 1340 º places 19 º 13:19 Tue 8/29/2006

They get a lot of credit in my book for representing almost the whole country.

snowtiger
beers 107 º places 6 º 13:30 Tue 8/29/2006

I would not drink Avery Mephistopholes. And if drinkability is supposed to be a factor, I don’t know how it made the list.

I like many other Avery beers, just not this one.

dirtymike
beers 2016 º places 13 º 13:36 Tue 8/29/2006

I think the most important thing everyone is overlooking is the fact that the major domestics are not on this list. This is saying something, as media can be a big push into getting the mainstream public to try and accept new things. Afterall it wasn’t long ago that MAXIM ranked various chain restaurants on a number of categories. The category of beer was not on the selection,quality,value ect ect but on the temperature the beer was when it got to the table!!!

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 13:38 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by snowtiger
I would not drink Avery Mephistopholes. And if drinkability is supposed to be a factor, I don’t know how it made the list.

I like many other Avery beers, just not this one.

What didn’t you like about it? I would have read your rating, but you have none.

shadey
beers 2299 º places 92 º 13:42 Tue 8/29/2006

A huge step in the right direction. I subscribe to Men’s Journal and I’m glad they did this.

batkins
places 78 º 13:56 Tue 8/29/2006

As a whole, your right, you’ve got to give them credit. It’s probably the most "respectable" list I’ve seen from a magazine, newspaper, etc. It’s certainly got some good beers on it. Even the dog (Session) on the list is from a reputable brewery (Full Sail). Just a little stumble on their part with the actual beer they picked. Maybe they got it mixed up with the FS Bourbon Barrel Porter or the Black Gold Stout.

Reid
beers 3538 º places 95 º 13:56 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by batkins
Full Sails answer to PBR, which has a huge market here.

Yep ..its drinkable, but why pay a couple of dollars extra a 12 pack? When i can get Weinhards Northwest trail for cheaper?

ClarkVV
beers 13589 º places 112 º 14:03 Tue 8/29/2006

Full Sail session blew me away. I thought that stuff was one of the best pale lagers I’ve ever had. And hoppy to boot.

JoeM500
beers 1909 º places 3 º 14:15 Tue 8/29/2006

It’s a closet gay magazine, so you know there would be no macros on the list.

While the list is obviously missing Alpha King at #1, I say it’s a nice choice of beers...

hahaha
At the MPA event, Jon Stewart asked: "Why is your magazine so gay?" Everyone howled, because, well, there are hot, shirtless guys on the cover often. Do you think of gay/straight appeal when you’re considering content? Is that something you even think about?

batkins
places 78 º 14:19 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by ClarkVV
Full Sail session blew me away. I thought that stuff was one of the best pale lagers I’ve ever had. And hoppy to boot.

Maybe it’s the fact that lagers disgust me. (We really need a puking smiley face, so I could enter it here.)