Men’s Journal "25 Best Beers in America"

Reads 7075 • Replies 35 • Started Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:18:07 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Reid
beers 3538 º places 95 º 14:26 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by ClarkVV
Full Sail session blew me away. I thought that stuff was one of the best pale lagers I’ve ever had. And hoppy to boot.

I liked it Ok, just didnt blow my socks off even for a pale lager.
But I hope it sells well for them, though mosyt folks who are gonna buy a home grown Oregon "macro" style lager will be buying Weinhards.
I do buy a 12 pack once in a while when i am going to a grill out..the small bottle always is a conversation starter.

Oakes
admin
beers 30815 º places 1135 º 14:35 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by shadey
A huge step in the right direction. I subscribe to Men’s Journal and I’m glad they did this.

Agreed. Think back to the Consumer Reports list of a few years ago and compare that list to this one. Enough said.

Further, what’s with all the whining, the rest of you? Your tastes don’t directly and precisely correspond to the list and its order...so what? Who’s does? Nobody’s does, so get over it. Bloody beer geeks, forever whining about the piddliest little things, it’s enough to make people think it’s all we’re good for. Drink something good and pipe down.

bstill
beers 1 º 15:14 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by snowtiger
I would not drink Avery Mephistopholes. And if drinkability is supposed to be a factor, I don’t know how it made the list.

I like many other Avery beers, just not this one.

agreed!

batkins
places 78 º 15:26 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by Oakes
A huge step in the right direction. I subscribe to Men’s Journal and I’m glad they did this.

Agreed. Think back to the Consumer Reports list of a few years ago and compare that list to this one. Enough said.

Further, what’s with all the whining, the rest of you? Your tastes don’t directly and precisely correspond to the list and its order...so what? Who’s does? Nobody’s does, so get over it. Bloody beer geeks, forever whining about the piddliest little things, it’s enough to make people think it’s all we’re good for. Drink something good and pipe down.

Ummmm, I disagreed with one beer, then (slightly) praised them.
Maybe a beer for you as well. You sound a bit wound up!

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 16:01 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by DCopperfields
1 Firestone Walker Pale Ale
2 Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA
3 Stoudt’s Pils
4 Russian River Temptation
5 Avery Mephistopheles
6 Anderson Valley Boont Amber
7 Great Lakes Holy Moses White Ale
8 Full Sail Session Lager
9 Rogue Brutal Bitter
10 Bell’s Expedition Stout
11 Southampton Double White
12 Smuttynose Big A IPA
13 Penn Weizen
14 Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale
15 Hennepin
16 Samuel Adams Black Lager
17 Sprecher Hefe-Weiss
18 Alaskan Amber
19 Deschutes Broken Top Bock
20 Lost Abbey Avant Garde
21 Jolly Pumpkin Bam Bier
22 Victory St. Victoriouis
23 Allagash Interlude
24 Alesmith Speedway Stout
25 New Glarus Yokel

Plus their big party with most of these beers here at Hop Devil Grill tomorrow night. Maybe there will be some left over after the event.

Looks like I’m there, to celebrate my first day of my new job. Good timing!

jeffc666
beers 1984 º places 93 º 16:24 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by beerguy101
But is there a beer there that you would NOT drink?

Yes without a doubt I will never again drink #5 Avery Mephistopheles again. Other than that it all looks tasty.

Naven
beers 1000 º places 109 º 16:27 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by Oakes

That was the best response I have read in weeks.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 16:36 Tue 8/29/2006

Firestone Pale Ale is one of the finest Pale Ales in the country and I believe it is a fine representation of what is American craft brewing. We are talking about beers that your average drinker would like.

Mephistopholes is vile stuff. It’s rating on this site is almost as bad as when Hop Devil was the top rated beer on BA. The stuff is hot mollases. Absolutely no finesse.

I am very impressed with the rest of this list and what it represents for craft beer.

That being said, I would have been just as happy if Prima Pils, 3Fs Gumballhead, or one of NGs hefeweizen had one. I think it was important to make the top one accessible to the pallate of Joe Shmo.

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 23:59 Tue 8/29/2006

Originally posted by ClarkVV
Full Sail session blew me away. I thought that stuff was one of the best pale lagers I’ve ever had. And hoppy to boot.

Ditto. I had it tonight when I bought it for the tennis league I run. The last night of league we have pizza and beer afterwards. There were 36 guys in my league, and 24 women. I always have to buy some crappy light/ lo carb for the women, but I try to buy something decent as well. I bought mostly Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat because it went so well last time, but I also decided to try the Full Sail Session. It was a HUGE hit; everyone was asking where I got it and telling me how much better it was than BMC stuff, and this is Oklahoma. I really enjoyed mine, and people were actually upset when we ran out of the Boulevard and Full Sail and they had to drink the Macro lights

OTOH, I made the mistake of seeing if the Michelob Ultra Amber was any better than the regular Ultra. Dissssguuussting...I poured half of it out. At least the normal Ultra doesn’t have enough taste to be objectionable.

1FastSTi
beers 3361 º places 104 º 00:24 Wed 8/30/2006

Places that publish these sorts of lists without massive input like here on Ratebeer should just not do it. If they’re listing wine... I bet they’d list Franzia.