Mikkeller & Orval

Reads 3408 • Replies 23 • Started Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:17:08 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

haukur
beers 2184 º places 32 º 07:51 Fri 11/20/2015

Originally posted by 3fourths
Originally posted by tderoeck
Originally posted by ChinoSkillzian
De Proef the brewery may not be dirty, but a hell of a lot of the beer that comes out of there sure is.

I don’t get it. I’m one of the top raters of the Proef and only every had two gushers or so. It’s the most versatile, technically able brewer I know. All styles, often only one batch, no time to tinker with recipes, and practically no brewing errors ever, even if almost every batch is a different recipe...

Myself and a number of other people have found beer that comes out of De Proef faulty. The typical off-note to me is something like concrete and dirty dish rag. Some folks may be less sensitive to these flaws than others, or prefer them. YMMV, of course, but I’ve completely given up on De Proef and anything that is contracted to them.

So, beers like Mikkeller Nelson Sauvignon, To Ol Black Malts & Body Salts and Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar are faulty and off? I´m ofcourse biased towards Mikkeller but I´m sorry 3fourths, I think you are one of the best and most informed raters on this site, but I think this might be more down to personal bias or simply just European beers brewed at De Proef sitting for far too long in shelves in the states.

suprchunk
beers 2996 º places 147 º 09:15 Fri 11/20/2015

Originally posted by haukur
Originally posted by 3fourths
Originally posted by tderoeck
Originally posted by ChinoSkillzian
De Proef the brewery may not be dirty, but a hell of a lot of the beer that comes out of there sure is.

I don’t get it. I’m one of the top raters of the Proef and only every had two gushers or so. It’s the most versatile, technically able brewer I know. All styles, often only one batch, no time to tinker with recipes, and practically no brewing errors ever, even if almost every batch is a different recipe...

Myself and a number of other people have found beer that comes out of De Proef faulty. The typical off-note to me is something like concrete and dirty dish rag. Some folks may be less sensitive to these flaws than others, or prefer them. YMMV, of course, but I’ve completely given up on De Proef and anything that is contracted to them.

So, beers like Mikkeller Nelson Sauvignon, To Ol Black Malts & Body Salts and Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar are faulty and off? I´m ofcourse biased towards Mikkeller but I´m sorry 3fourths, I think you are one of the best and most informed raters on this site, but I think this might be more down to personal bias or simply just European beers brewed at De Proef sitting for far too long in shelves in the states.

I’ve had the same experience. And I lived there for four years. I was amazed that most of Mikkel’s beers were being made there at De Proef.

Dedollewaitor
beers 21468 º places 541 º 00:34 Sat 11/21/2015

I see what you mean Michael. I am getting more and more sensitive to it myself. Often When I drink the better Danish " Proef " beers they are very fresh and properly hopped so its still a "background issue" for me..