Mission Street Pale Ale ranked too low?

Reads 1445 • Replies 21 • Started Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:16:55 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DYCSoccer17
beers 3746 º places 344 º 18:58 Tue 7/31/2012

Part of the problem is that it is at Trader Joes, and they don’t refrigerate their beers, so you have to get it super fresh (less than 2 weeks old) or else you will be disappointed.

JohnC
beers 3007 º places 164 º 19:03 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by DYCSoccer17
Part of the problem is that it is at Trader Joes, and they don’t refrigerate their beers, so you have to get it super fresh (less than 2 weeks old) or else you will be disappointed.

+1

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 19:10 Tue 7/31/2012

Coincidentally, I just had one of these today. Good beer! But why isn’t it great? These are my thoughts:

1) the beer has known consistency issues we’ve discussed here before, perhaps related to
i) unrefrigerated storage at Trader Joes and other retailers (rebadges?)
ii) storage duration

2) even when done well, it’s greatest flaw is enough residual sugar to affect mouthfeel in both texture and heft. These days, beer fans have a variety of leaner pale ales to choose from that show greater hop expression by simply being more completely finished.

This is not a case of reviewers thinking more beer = better beer.

On the contrary I think beers like like Row 2/Hill 56 probably have fewer IBU but have better hop expression because they’re simply more dry. You simply can’t have a great pale ale with that much residual sugar.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 22:08 Tue 7/31/2012

There’s actually very little residual sugar in this beer. Finishes about 1.008 and is mostly north american pale malt with a little munich and a dash of carapils malt. It’s really tough to find APAs with less residual sugar. The yeast does add some esters that aid the impression of sweetness though. Definitely different than a cal ale beer. I actually think it’s too dry for what most people are looking for in a pale ale. They expect more crystal malt flavor like you get in something based on sierra nevada. It’s more along the lines of a pilsner with American hops and ale yeast.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 22:10 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by kmweaver
Normally I’d point to style percentages... but yeah, even that’s surprisingly low. It’s a damn good pale ale. A regular rotation in our fridge.

See: "No prominent hoppiness, has difficulty standing up even to the hop monsters within its own style."

When a beer is shipped long distances with no QC along the way, and then sits on the shelves with no best by date, it deserves whatever mediocre scores it gets.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 23:09 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by SamGamgee
There’s actually very little residual sugar in this beer. Finishes about 1.008 and is mostly north american pale malt with a little munich and a dash of carapils malt.

This is surprising. It makes me want to blind taste some APAs!

In my mind, I would put Mission Street on the thicker sweeter more crystal malty side of available local APAs...

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 04:24 Wed 8/1/2012

I love it - when I lived in a place with a TJ close by this was a regular go-to for me.

malrubius
beers 3502 º places 33 º 04:46 Wed 8/1/2012

Seems like all the Mission St. beers are six months old by the time they hit my TJ shelves.

bgburdman9
beers 861 º places 25 º 06:32 Wed 8/1/2012

Originally posted by bgburdman9
The bottles at my local store always seem to be way out of date. I check every time but it seems like no one is buying it around here.

Actually stopped in trader joes last night. I swear I had seen bottle dates previously but none of the bottles I looked at were dated. I am done buying any hop forward beer that isn’t dated and I am not sure how fast it is moving off shelves even if it is only $6.99.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 06:59 Wed 8/1/2012

You all must be drinking something different than I am