My UK trip

Reads 872 • Replies 14 • Started Monday, August 6, 2012 2:17:05 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

wickedpete
beers 636 º places 5 º 14:17 Mon 8/6/2012

Hey all,

My wife and I are heading to the UK next week for a two week vacation to celebrate our anniversary.

We arrive on the 12th and will be spending the first few days in and around Bath and Corsham. On the 16th we go to London for the weekend. Sunday night, the 19th we grab the Caledonian Sleeper and head up to Edinburgh for 2 days. Next is a night in St. Andrews then we drive to the Loch Lomond area and are staying in Argyll, hitting up the Glengoyne distillery on the way. We’re going to the Cowal Gathering on Friday the 24th then staying in Glasgow that night. We fly back to London on the 25th to catch our return to the States.

I guess I just wanted to give you all a heads up in case any meet ups were possible. We’ll be trying a lot of pubs during our stay so if anyone has a suggestion or is nearby any of the places I’ve mentioned and will be out to meet up, post here or send me a message. I’ve set up a Twitter account so you can stalk me that way too. @ukwickedpete

Looks like a great, if hectic, trip you have there. Good opportunities for decent pubs in Bath, London, Edinburgh & Glasgow. This site is probably as good a guide as you will need as they are relatively short stays in each place. Have a great time.

deeblo
places 74 º 03:07 Tue 8/7/2012

For London, the top pubs on the places list are all great: http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/State/Cities/london/79.htm

Try to check out the Kernel on Saturday morning/afternoon. On Sunday the 19th, some of us will be at an event in east London: http://www.ratebeer.com/event/17581/

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 05:00 Tue 8/7/2012

Worth a pub trip to Bristol when you’re in Bath if you have the time for it, downender would be best to give you tips for there.

Bath must go to the Raven, the Salamander and old green tree.

zimbo
beers 1019 º 11:09 Tue 8/7/2012

Given my work and home commitments I really doubt I’m able to hook up but the Bow Bar and BrewDog are two musts when in Edinburgh.

cgarvieuk
beers 37624 º places 457 º 10:50 Wed 8/8/2012

Originally posted by zimbo
Given my work and home commitments I really doubt I’m able to hook up but the Bow Bar and BrewDog are two musts when in Edinburgh.

Really Brewdog bar for an American.

Edinburgh has so many better places to offer an American than Brewdog.

But the Bow would be my first choice, followed by clositers, and the Stock bridge tap if you can get down that way.

Hollyrood 9a, Caley sample rooms are greats.

limited beer (but a few cask) in the Cambridge, but the bets burger ive ever had.

May be able to meet up if you fancy it. but not sure.

But your welcome to come for a tasting (im a 30 minute bus ride out of town)

wickedpete
beers 636 º places 5 º 19:48 Wed 8/8/2012

Thanks for the tips so far!

zimbo
beers 1019 º 00:08 Thu 8/9/2012

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

But the Bow would be my first choice, followed by clositers, and the Stock bridge tap if you can get down that way.

limited beer (but a few cask) in the Cambridge, but the bets burger ive ever had.

Some good tips in there. I included BrewDog not just because it gives a pretty reasonably impression of the present Scottish/UK ’craft’ scene but largely because of its closeness to the Bow Bar. Couldn’t tell you the number of times I’ve intended to visit BrewDog only to be ’paralysed’ all night by the delights there. The problem with Edinburgh, at least compared to places such as Sheffield, is how relatively spread out the best pubs are especially if you only have two days to see the town and do ’other’ things.

Would also recommend the Halfway House for its reasonable and interesting Scottish range, and ’quaintness’, and of course that central Burke and Harish location on ’The Fleshmarket’ Which is more than I can say for The Guildford Arms. If I was in that area I’d much rather opt for the Abbotsford which is only a triple jump away.

wheresthepath
beers 3441 º places 279 º 14:45 Thu 8/9/2012

While you’re in Corsham, my childhood town of Chippenham is only a couple of miles away. It’s nowadays host to the Three Crowns; one of the friendliest pubs I know and which often has some rather rare and tasty local brews on (including some from the highly-rated Arbor brewery):

http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp?PlaceID=22670

They have a "now and next" beer, cider and perry list on their website, and it certainly beats any of the Corsham pubs hands down.

Cheers

Anth

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 04:16 Fri 8/10/2012

I run The Craft Beer Co in Clerkenwell so if your coming by let me know!

cgarvieuk
beers 37624 º places 457 º 03:16 Sat 8/11/2012

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

Some good tips in there. I included BrewDog not just because it gives a pretty reasonably impression of the present Scottish/UK ’craft’ scene but largely because of its closeness to the Bow Bar. Couldn’t tell you the number of times I’ve intended to visit BrewDog only to be ’paralysed’ all night by the delights there.

i like brewdog but it still recomend the 9A and red squirell as better opition or new wave scotland.