New in the Area Part II

Reads 5618 • Replies 61 • Started Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:48:35 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 13:48 Sat 12/10/2011

The last thread was frozen. Peel in Edwardsville has Kilkenny On tap. Only a few cities in the country have it. Quite nice and a sub 5 ABV. Make sure you watch it separate Guinness like.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16534 º places 792 º 08:46 Mon 12/12/2011

Schlafly’s Tap Room has a new Blackberry Mead. The description calls it ’sparkling’ and that is certainly true. Drinks more like a cider than a thick honey mead (if you were weaned on the Polish meads, as I was). Still neat to drink, though. I enjoyed the Cocoa Nut Porter more- nice improvement on the regular Porter.

Square One has a couple new beers; an Imperial Chocolate Brown, a Summit IPA, and a Chipotle Chocolate Brown.

UCBC has Trafalgar on tap, a really nice English Pale Ale, not normally I style I go for.

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 18:42 Fri 12/23/2011

Had the Ferguson Belgian Christmas Ale this afternoon. It was put on tap around noon today. After adding the beer it was found that the ABV was 7.7% and it had 55 IBUs. I am not sure why this is called "Belgian" or "Christmas." I didn’t taste any Belgian yeast and, except for the fact that it was released near Christmas, nothing about the beer seemed to hint at that name, either. I tasted lots of brewers grain but not enough else. An interesting beer but a Belgian Christmas Ale?

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 05:35 Tue 12/27/2011

The Tap Room and Bottleworks have the Southern Hemisphere IPA with Galaxy hops on now. Bottleworks also has an India Wheat Ale.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16534 º places 792 º 09:24 Thu 1/5/2012

Originally posted by vyvvy
The Tap Room and Bottleworks have the Southern Hemisphere IPA with Galaxy hops on now. Bottleworks also has an India Wheat Ale.

I really hope these are around a little longer. Haven’t had either one yet.

UCBC bottles are just about ready to go. Zwickel and Winged Nut will be the first two.

2nd Shift now has 6 beers in bottles, with the new ones hitting shelves in the City tomorrow (already at TWCP).

Perennial has been quiet the past few weeks but should have a few new ones soon.

I’ve heard the Civil Life has a Vienna on now with another couple on the way.

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 10:16 Thu 1/5/2012

Originally posted by phaleslu

UCBC bottles are just about ready to go. Zwickel and Winged Nut will be the first two.

Any idea what they are looking at for price points for bottles? I’m getting miffed at the high bottle prices for the new breweries in the area.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 11:13 Thu 1/5/2012

Any idea what they are looking at for price points for bottles? I’m getting miffed at the high bottle prices for the new breweries in the area.

Like the ridiculous Perennial prices?

iTap Chesterfield had Mikkeller Bourbon Black Hole on tap as of the 29th. Cheaper than buying the bottle. Also, Charleville Barleywine.

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 11:19 Thu 1/5/2012

Originally posted by beastiefan2k

Like the ridiculous Perennial prices?

iTap Chesterfield had Mikkeller Bourbon Black Hole on tap as of the 29th. Cheaper than buying the bottle. Also, Charleville Barleywine.

Exactly like those prices.

Just saw this on the Urban Chestnut blog that has a nice picture of the bottles. Thankfully these are going to be in four packs which generally means the prices won’t be too crazy.
http://urbanchestnut.com/blog/

jckp64
beers 356 º places 7 º 11:27 Thu 1/5/2012

I really don’t find the prices for local stuff to be even close to ridiculous. Not everything can be as cheap as schlafly. They could be the Bruery and charge 30 bucks for a bottle.

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 12:16 Thu 1/5/2012

Not expecting everyone to be an inexpensive as Schlafly, but if you want to use $30 a bottle as your comparison point almost everything will be inexpensive.

I try to take each beer on an individual basis. A close-to-sessionable saison at $12/750 seems overpriced to me, so I won’t buy it. If someone else does, great.

Bottom line for me is that I can get great beers at reasonable prices. I’d rather buy local (and do very often), but if I get a similar quality beer at a much cheaper price from a brewery that’s not in the STL area, I’ll get the out of town beer.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16534 º places 792 º 12:37 Thu 1/5/2012

The point is, we have to homer this stuff up to an absurd degree so we can justify every local brewer charging insane amounts for their bottles. It worked in Florida.