RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Panama

read 1341 times • 18 replies • posted 2/21/2012 4:30:48 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
TBone 12823:215
I will be in Panama next week (and NYC as well). Anyone been there and found any beer? There should be a brewpub in Panama City.

Timo
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
fiulijn 15000:553
Yes, but it was too long ago to be a reference.

I just remember that I found one trashlager in a streetshop in the "poor" part of the city, the one next to the old city (just peeping through the selling windows while walking); so keep your eyes open.

And probably found another one in a sort of botanical garden/resort, as the beer is made for them.
2/21/2012 5:32:24 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
KnutAlbert 6152:303
Check out the Thirsty Pilgrim:

http://www.thirstypilgrim.com/search?q=Panama
2/22/2012 12:56:54 AM

premium
I just had this:
http://www.therockboquete.com/our-artisan-beer/

Light and dark. Some American brewer called Peterson, who lives in Jaramillo brewing it for restaurant. I wonder how to add it to Ratebeer :)
3/1/2012 6:23:28 PM

premium
JoeinDahlem 1331:279
Nice reminder that I need to update my Places reviews.

Cheers TBone for the tip on the Rock. News to me.

The brewpub in Panama City is the Istmo. I dug it. The beers had character, fruity and estery but not off-putting to me. Big imperial pint glasses. Laid back atmosphere. Food looked good. Also an impressive bottle list relative to this part of the world... Chimay, for example.

There is also a decent British pub on lively Calle Uruguay, open nights only, called the Londoner. The owner brings bottled British ales home to Panama in his suitcase.

Also a few German places like the Steinbock with surprising (again, relative) German bottle lists.
3/2/2012 8:58:05 AM

premium
GT2 8526:604
I only drank crappy lagers when I was there so good luck. I thought the Polar beer in cans from Venezuela was the best sit back and relax on the beach beer. The bottled Panama lagers were ick.
3/2/2012 9:23:59 AM

CharmCityCrab 152:
I thought this was going to be a thread about Van Halen...
3/2/2012 9:56:04 AM

premium
Gary 1407:3
i thought this was gonna be a thread about Scarface.
3/2/2012 10:14:42 AM

premium
Istmo was ok. Beer are decent and certainly improved from time when fiulijn visited there. From shops I have only found same four Panama beer everywhere. A big supermarket called "Rey" in Downtown Panama City has quite decent collection of European beers. Some Belgian, some English (Fullers) and even some odd Breda labels.
3/2/2012 1:06:05 PM

premium
fiulijn 15000:553
Originally posted by TBone
Istmo was ok. Beer are decent and certainly improved from time when fiulijn visited there. From shops I have only found same four Panama beer everywhere. A big supermarket called "Rey" in Downtown Panama City has quite decent collection of European beers. Some Belgian, some English (Fullers) and even some odd Breda labels.

If thatís the only place you found with bottles, donít be shy and add it ;-)
Some occasional visitor may be in need for a decent drink.

By the way, you can still fill your suitcase with rum, to bring back home ;-)
I didnít search for anything special; if I remember, Abuelo Reserva was a good compromise quality-price; maybe our local friends can give you better advice...
3/2/2012 1:40:57 PM

premium
Originally posted by fiulijn
By the way, you can still fill your suitcase with rum, to bring back home ;-)
I didnít search for anything special; if I remember, Abuelo Reserva was a good compromise quality-price; maybe our local friends can give you better advice...

Sorry, I have to drink all rhum and seco here as I will spend 3 nights in NYC on the way back home next week (already was 2 on the way to Panama)!
3/2/2012 2:17:57 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers