Panama

Reads 1663 • Replies 18 • Started Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:30:48 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TBone
beers 27091 º places 544 º 04:30 Tue 2/21/2012

I will be in Panama next week (and NYC as well). Anyone been there and found any beer? There should be a brewpub in Panama City.

Timo

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 05:32 Tue 2/21/2012

Yes, but it was too long ago to be a reference.

I just remember that I found one trashlager in a streetshop in the "poor" part of the city, the one next to the old city (just peeping through the selling windows while walking); so keep your eyes open.

And probably found another one in a sort of botanical garden/resort, as the beer is made for them.

KnutAlbert
beers 6850 º places 361 º 00:56 Wed 2/22/2012

Check out the Thirsty Pilgrim:

http://www.thirstypilgrim.com/search?q=Panama

TBone
beers 27091 º places 544 º 18:23 Thu 3/1/2012

I just had this:
http://www.therockboquete.com/our-artisan-beer/

Light and dark. Some American brewer called Peterson, who lives in Jaramillo brewing it for restaurant. I wonder how to add it to Ratebeer :)

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 08:58 Fri 3/2/2012

Nice reminder that I need to update my Places reviews.

Cheers TBone for the tip on the Rock. News to me.

The brewpub in Panama City is the Istmo. I dug it. The beers had character, fruity and estery but not off-putting to me. Big imperial pint glasses. Laid back atmosphere. Food looked good. Also an impressive bottle list relative to this part of the world... Chimay, for example.

There is also a decent British pub on lively Calle Uruguay, open nights only, called the Londoner. The owner brings bottled British ales home to Panama in his suitcase.

Also a few German places like the Steinbock with surprising (again, relative) German bottle lists.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 09:23 Fri 3/2/2012

I only drank crappy lagers when I was there so good luck. I thought the Polar beer in cans from Venezuela was the best sit back and relax on the beach beer. The bottled Panama lagers were ick.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 09:56 Fri 3/2/2012

I thought this was going to be a thread about Van Halen...

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 10:14 Fri 3/2/2012

i thought this was gonna be a thread about Scarface.

TBone
beers 27091 º places 544 º 13:06 Fri 3/2/2012

Istmo was ok. Beer are decent and certainly improved from time when fiulijn visited there. From shops I have only found same four Panama beer everywhere. A big supermarket called "Rey" in Downtown Panama City has quite decent collection of European beers. Some Belgian, some English (Fullers) and even some odd Breda labels.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 13:40 Fri 3/2/2012

Originally posted by TBone
Istmo was ok. Beer are decent and certainly improved from time when fiulijn visited there. From shops I have only found same four Panama beer everywhere. A big supermarket called "Rey" in Downtown Panama City has quite decent collection of European beers. Some Belgian, some English (Fullers) and even some odd Breda labels.

If that’s the only place you found with bottles, don’t be shy and add it ;-)
Some occasional visitor may be in need for a decent drink.

By the way, you can still fill your suitcase with rum, to bring back home ;-)
I didn’t search for anything special; if I remember, Abuelo Reserva was a good compromise quality-price; maybe our local friends can give you better advice...

TBone
beers 27091 º places 544 º 14:17 Fri 3/2/2012

Originally posted by fiulijn
By the way, you can still fill your suitcase with rum, to bring back home ;-)
I didn’t search for anything special; if I remember, Abuelo Reserva was a good compromise quality-price; maybe our local friends can give you better advice...

Sorry, I have to drink all rhum and seco here as I will spend 3 nights in NYC on the way back home next week (already was 2 on the way to Panama)!