Pilsner Urquell from the barrel and at Na Parkáku

Reads 4298 • Replies 22 • Started Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:50:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

evanrail
beers 74 º places 3 º 07:50 Tue 2/19/2008

Hey guys, I’m starting a new thread to try to clear up some things about Pilsner Urquell that have been mentioned in the thread about the new Prague brewpub. It seems like this deserves its own discussion.

Here’s the overview:

According to Pilsner Urquell, the beer served from the wooden barrel at the end of the brewery tour is not the same as the beer served at Na Parkánu.

According to Pilsner Urquell, neither the beer from the wooden barrel on the tour nor the beer at Na Parkánu is a true kvasnicové pivo. They are both nefiltrované, or "unfiltered." (Kvasnicové pivo in the true sense is beer than has been given an addition of fresh yeast and wort after lagering. Unfiltered beer is just that, unfiltered, not necessarily with additional fresh yeast and wort.)

As was noted in the other thread, Pilsner Urquell’s tank beer is a different thing entirely: unpasteurized, but neither unfiltered nor kvasnicové.

I’m not sure if this matters to people here, but if someone is rating the beer listed here as "Pilsner Urquell Kvasnicový (Unfiltered)" based on a tasting at Na Parkánu, it’s sort of like comparing... well, maybe not apples and oranges, but more like oranges and tangerines. And strictly speaking, the third word in that title is incorrect.

At least that’s how I understand it at this point. Hope this helps.

cgarvieuk
beers 37649 º places 457 º 07:57 Tue 2/19/2008

Originally posted by evanrail
Hey guys, I’m starting a new thread to try to clear up some things about Pilsner Urquell that have been mentioned in the thread about the new Prague brewpub. It seems like this deserves its own discussion.

Here’s the overview:

According to Pilsner Urquell, the beer served from the wooden barrel at the end of the brewery tour is not the same as the beer served at Na Parkánu.

According to Pilsner Urquell, neither the beer from the wooden barrel on the tour nor the beer at Na Parkánu is a true kvasnicové pivo. They are both nefiltrované, or "unfiltered." (Kvasnicové pivo in the true sense is beer than has been given an addition of fresh yeast and wort after lagering. Unfiltered beer is just that, unfiltered, not necessarily with additional fresh yeast and wort.)

As was noted in the other thread, Pilsner Urquell’s tank beer is a different thing entirely: unpasteurized, but neither unfiltered nor kvasnicové.

I’m not sure if this matters to people here, but if someone is rating the beer listed here as "Pilsner Urquell Kvasnicový (Unfiltered)" based on a tasting at Na Parkánu, it’s sort of like comparing... well, maybe not apples and oranges, but more like oranges and tangerines. And strictly speaking, the third word in that title is incorrect.

At least that’s how I understand it at this point. Hope this helps.

Ok i for 1 am still confused.
Though i suspect as far as rate beers concerned, the split between the filter beer you get most places and the unfiltered is as far as it goes

but a few questions
1) How if at all does the Tour sample vary from Na Parkánu
2) if a tank beer is unfiltered and unpasturised but not kvasnicové. which all apply to the tour and Na Parkánu (do they not) how does it differ from those two.

evanrail
beers 74 º places 3 º 08:07 Tue 2/19/2008

Okay,

1) I believe only the beer on the tour is produced in the wooden barrels, but I’ll try to find out.

2) The tank beer is filtered but unpasteurized, as I understand it. The other two are unfiltered and unpasteurized.

cgarvieuk
beers 37649 º places 457 º 08:15 Tue 2/19/2008

Okay,

1) I believe only the beer on the tour is produced in the wooden barrels, but I’ll try to find out.

2) The tank beer is filtered but unpasteurized, as I understand it. The other two are unfiltered and unpasteurized.

ahh cool, thats me sorted in my head i think.
SO i recon the tour and Na Parkánu would both go under the Pilsner Urquell Kvasnicový (Unfiltered), though its possibly misnamed from what you say.

as for the tank one, i dont know if its filter or pasturising that they use to distinguish between two varietys of a beer.

evanrail
beers 74 º places 3 º 08:25 Tue 2/19/2008

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
SO i recon the tour and Na Parkánu would both go under the Pilsner Urquell Kvasnicový (Unfiltered)

Again, according to Pilsner Urquell, these are not the same beers. One is produced using cylindoconical tanks, one is produced using oak barrels.

cgarvieuk
beers 37649 º places 457 º 08:29 Tue 2/19/2008

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
SO i recon the tour and Na Parkánu would both go under the Pilsner Urquell Kvasnicový (Unfiltered)

Again, according to Pilsner Urquell, these are not the same beers. One is produced using cylindoconical tanks, one is produced using oak barrels.

Yeah , i think there lots of beers that rate beer doesnt break down. There often discussions on if a beer should be split or not, and there allways people on both side.

I know some others are split on oak aging, but dont know if they differentiate on it in production.

We have the same problem with Cask and Bottled version of UK beers.

Oakes
admin
beers 30677 º places 1135 º 10:31 Tue 2/19/2008

Well, I can’t quite figure out what you’re saying here.

Why don’t we sort it all out at the RBESG, when you, me and Fil will all be standing there talking to the brewer. I’m pretty sure the world won’t come to an end before then.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 14:15 Tue 2/19/2008

Aaaah - it makes sense now!!

So, there are 4 versions -

1 - Standard pasteurised/filtered keg beer
2 - Tank beer, unpasteurised but still filtered
3 - Nefiltrované fermented in the hideous capitalist conical tanks
4 - Nefiltrované fermented in wooden casks (what a great idea, why don’t they do more of that? )

I for one think all four should be split - they taste totally different and thus should be treated accordingly.

evanrail
beers 74 º places 3 º 14:40 Tue 2/19/2008

Originally posted by Gazza

You, sir, are a genius.

henrikb
beers 1264 º places 17 º 14:44 Tue 2/19/2008

I for one think all four should be split - they taste totally different and thus should be treated accordingly.

I totally agree!!!

motelpogo
beers 7695 º places 39 º 16:37 Tue 2/19/2008

So, there are 4 versions -

1 - Standard pasteurised/filtered keg beer
2 - Tank beer, unpasteurised but still filtered
3 - Nefiltrované fermented in the hideous capitalist conical tanks
4 - Nefiltrované fermented in wooden casks (what a great idea, why don’t they do more of that? )

when i entered the p.u. unfiltered i figured that the basic recipe of 1 and 2 were the same and of 3 and 4, i.e. that they had some yeast in them. i’m not too sure now but the unfiltered on the brewery tour is definitely better than at na parkanu and generally gets higher scores, however it’s not commercially available so i figure it’s better that it can be rated together with the na parkanu version (and most people have tried both) than not at all. i dunno, all too complicated

Related Items
Pilsner Urquell