Pilsner Urquell Questions

Reads 9498 • Replies 21 • Started Friday, March 26, 2010 4:45:10 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

OzarkElmo
beers 372 º places 15 º 04:45 Fri 3/26/2010

Greetings!

Pilsner Urquell. I have read about, and watched on a documentary, how the Chechs prize this beer. Have a few questions:

1) is the P.U. you buy in a regular U.S. store (Kroger) the REAL thing?

2) if the real beer talked about on the documentary, it should be fairly low calorie at 4.4% or so ABV. Does anyone know calories per 12 oz. bottle?

I’ve had this beer a few times, but more than a year ago and was not impressed. But it may have suffered the "skunk" disease in coming overseas. I wish to give it another try

Final question: anyone out there have a fondness for this beer? If so, why?

Thanks - Hello weekend!!

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 05:11 Fri 3/26/2010

There were already very often discussions about this topic in the forums: But, few words about it, again: The Urquell You can get in the U.S. is made by the same ingredients as the Urquell in the Czech Republic, but.....
There are four versions of this gorgeous stuff: Number One is not pasteurized and not filtered, fermented and lagered in wooden casks; only available during the brewery tour; a world class brew!!!! Number Two is made by the same recipe, fermented in modern cylindroconical fermenters and not filtered; only available in some pubs in Pilsen; no bottles; very good stuff, worth a detour !!! Number Three is made in the same way like Number Two, but filtered; available in so called "Tankovna" pubs, mainly in Prague; good and moreish!! Number Four is made in the same way like all others, but pasteurized and filtered; widely available in bottles, cans and KEGs. Good, but the other versions are better! Na zdravi!

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 05:38 Fri 3/26/2010

159 calories give or take.

coldbrewky
beers 1731 º places 82 º 05:52 Fri 3/26/2010

Originally posted by pivnizub
There were already very often discussions about this topic in the forums: But, few words about it, again: The Urquell You can get in the U.S. is made by the same ingredients as the Urquell in the Czech Republic, but.....
There are four versions of this gorgeous stuff: Number One is not pasteurized and not filtered, fermented and lagered in wooden casks; only available during the brewery tour; a world class brew!!!! Number Two is made by the same recipe, fermented in modern cylindroconical fermenters and not filtered; only available in some pubs in Pilsen; no bottles; very good stuff, worth a detour !!! Number Three is made in the same way like Number Two, but filtered; available in so called "Tankovna" pubs, mainly in Prague; good and moreish!! Number Four is made in the same way like all others, but pasteurized and filtered; widely available in bottles, cans and KEGs. Good, but the other versions are better! Na zdravi!

True That!

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 08:16 Fri 3/26/2010

nly available in some pubs in Pilsen; no bottles; very good stuff, worth a detour !!! Number Three is made in the same way like Number Two, but filtered; available in so called "Tankovna" pubs, mainly in Prague; good and moreish!! Number Four is made in the same way like all others, but pasteurized and filtered; widely available in bottles, cans and KEGs. Good, but the other versions are better! Na zdravi!

Thanks for the info. I’ve been to Prague and had it there and felt it was very similar to what we get in the UK with a pastuerised metallic off taste I get in the brew. To have it unfiltered and unpastuerised will be awesome. I love Budvar in Prague. Those whom have it outside Czech Republic consumer literally a different beer. It’s much more smoother and creamier in the Czech Republic.

What’s the documentary and is it available? I’d like to watch that.

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 09:41 Fri 3/26/2010

P.U. in Pilsen at Na Parkanu is just one of the best beers I’ve drunk. So different to the filtered and pasteurised version. And so much better. Fuller in the mouth, far more character. So easy drinking.

blutt59
beers 6999 º places 210 º 09:47 Fri 3/26/2010

Anywhere you can find this in cans online?

Christian
beers 17313 º places 278 º 10:07 Fri 3/26/2010

There is also the question of where it’s brewed. From what I know, all kegged beer is brewed in Pilsen, while you can’t be 100% sure with bottles and cans.

Urquell on tap is an amazing beer, anywhere. Maybe the smmothness and creaminess in the Czech Republic has to do with a different tradition for CO2 level? Plus freshness of course. I must admit that the pasteurized tap Pilsner in Zatec was nearly as good as the one at Na Parkanu...

Low calories? The final gravity is extremely high, so it must be one of the highest calorie 4.4% beers you can find.

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 10:12 Fri 3/26/2010

Originally posted by blutt59
Anywhere you can find this in cans online?

I had it in a can at a White Sox game a few years back, it has to be out there somewhere.

dankman
beers 257 º places 20 º 10:16 Fri 3/26/2010

As long as you get it fresh it’s a fine example of the style and a pretty tasty one at that.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 12:08 Fri 3/26/2010

Originally posted by harrisoni
P.U. in Pilsen at Na Parkanu is just one of the best beers I’ve drunk.

Ian, you need to get yourself to Praha and do a tour of the brewpubs and bars...

Most Kvasnicove beers I had last time made the stuff in Parkanu taste like industrial outfall. As the old saying goes, you can’t polish a turd, just like you can’t make a good beer by not pasteurising an industrially-made turd.

My opinion, obviously...

Related Items
Pilsner Urquell