Portland brewery apologises over Hindu name

Reads 5328 • Replies 75 • Started Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:02:53 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

dcschiller
beers 2208 º places 45 º 10:07 Thu 5/24/2012

Originally posted by mcberko
Originally posted by Ryan82SM
Originally posted by DuffMan
Freedom of speech and expression is part of what makes North American society great. Respecting a peaceful minority’s polite request is also part of what makes us great. Well done Burnside.
+1. Good to see that someone gets it. Obviously, the brewer did; why can’t the folks on this thread?

Because anyone can claim to be offended by anything out there. And religion always get special treatment in this area - if you’re offended, tough shit. Ignore it or turn away. You’re actually taking away people’s freedom of speech and expression by imposing on others the restriction of having to consider other people’s fragile religious feelings by something as innocuous as a beer name.

Great commentary on this here at around 3:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

Since when is freedom of speech the right to say whatever you want? I guess I come from the school of thought that our ’rights’ are actually responsibilities.

This thread really should be moved to OTM now.

AcctError62185
places 1 º 10:09 Thu 5/24/2012

Freedom of speech and expression is part of what makes North American society great. Respecting a peaceful minority’s polite request is also part of what makes us great. Well done Burnside.
+1. Good to see that someone gets it. Obviously, the brewer did; why can’t the folks on this thread?

Because anyone can claim to be offended by anything out there. And religion always get special treatment in this area - if you’re offended, tough shit. Ignore it or turn away. You’re actually taking away people’s freedom of speech and expression by imposing on others the restriction of having to consider other people’s fragile religious feelings by something as innocuous as a beer name.

Great commentary on this here at around 3:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

Excepting that they took the name from a deity in said religion. You could call it political correctness if you want, but common decency and respect is actually important in society

Sevenlee
beers 1845 º places 82 º 10:13 Thu 5/24/2012

If I had been in Burnside’s shoes I probably would have done the same but then again, I wouldn’t have made a label like that in first place.

At the same time I think it brings up a whole argument about where the line is of freedom of speech.
Brewdog released a beer originally titles "Speedball" (which is now known as Dogma). They knew it would get banned by releasing something called speedball but they did this out of protest being targeted for "indecent marketing".

I think this particular situation was handled nicely by all parties involved but sometimes I wonder if some people get offended too easily.

mcberko
admin
beers 41923 º places 3095 º 10:15 Thu 5/24/2012

Originally posted by Tibeerious

Excepting that they took the name from a deity in said religion. You could call it political correctness if you want, but common decency and respect is actually important in society

Well then we could segue into what is actually worthy of respect, and to me, respecting people’s belief in an invisible man in the sky (and other evidence-less / faith-based absurdities), which often affects many other areas of their life, is an ill-gotten notion. I’m not saying people don’t have the right to hold delusions, but when said delusions have significant effects on society, people at least equally have the right to publicly criticize and oppose them.

Originally posted by Tibeerious

Well then we could segue into what is actually worthy of respect, and to me, respecting people’s belief in an invisible man in the sky (and other evidence-less / faith-based absurdities), which often affects many other areas of their life, is an ill-gotten notion. I’m not saying people don’t have the right to hold delusions, but when said delusions have significant effects on society, people at least equally have the right to publicly criticize and oppose them.
Significant affects? I can see your point in that regard- but this is a beer. It’s just beer.

mcberko
admin
beers 41923 º places 3095 º 10:50 Thu 5/24/2012

Significant affects? I can see your point in that regard- but this is a beer. It’s just beer.

Exactly

Still, to act like science is some unassailable bulwark is a bit far fetched as well, especially when dealing with matters regarding the unobservable (i.e. the presence of God), which is beyond scientific scope, since it is not inductive.

Anyway, some reading info:

http://www.actionbioscience.org/education/allchin2.html
http://www.lyceumphilosophy.com/?q=node/117

I have found arguments on these matters are not effective, but perhaps you may come across some new information that is useful in those links (especially the first).

JMerritt
places 72 º 11:08 Thu 5/24/2012

This is pretty silly when there was no intention of being offensive. They were naming a beer in honor of an Indiana Jones movie, for crying out loud. There is no right to not being offended.

mcberko
admin
beers 41923 º places 3095 º 11:17 Thu 5/24/2012

Still, to act like science is some unassailable bulwark is a bit far fetched as well, especially when dealing with matters regarding the unobservable (i.e. the presence of God), which is beyond scientific scope, since it is not inductive.

Anyway, some reading info:

http://www.actionbioscience.org/education/allchin2.html
http://www.lyceumphilosophy.com/?q=node/117

I have found arguments on these matters are not effective, but perhaps you may come across some new information that is useful in those links (especially the first).

Good links, especially the first one, on discussing possible problems with scientists’ practices, but they aren’t flaws with the scientific method itself. The scientific method is the best (and only) method humans have discovered / developing for approaching reality / truth. Religion rejects scientific discovery in favour of its own pre-determined, traditionalized assumptions and beliefs about the human condition and the universe (and thus is one of the most stagnating elements in society). This is different from assuming science has all the answers or that it’s unfalsifiable, which I would never do.

I would disagree that science cannot be used to test god hypotheses, especially if you define your god as intervening in the physical world - then the claims are testable and provably untrue. If you define your god as being "beyond time and space", or non-physical, the burden of proof is on you to show that your claims are justified, not on the skeptic who lacks belief in the unobservable / metaphysical.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 12:20 Thu 5/24/2012

lol you’re dumb