RateBeer for Android app updated

Reads 11754 • Replies 140 • Started Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:03:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JMerritt
places 72 º 14:55 Wed 6/20/2012

Originally posted by drowland
Still nothing on mine. In fact, mine doesn’t look like the pics that are on the market either. Nowhere do I see a "re-rate" button. I can’t find any way to update it, either. Oh well, I like the app and use it all the time anyway.

Play Store > My Apps

Should be able to update all of your installed apps to the most recent versions there. Worst case, uninstall/reinstall?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:37 Sat 6/23/2012

They randomly started showing up! Woohoo!

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 12:34 Sat 6/23/2012

Not quite randomly maybe, as I pushed a new version to the market this weekend. But in any case, I’m glad it’s more reliable now.

By the way, the RateBeer app was featured big time by Google in the Play Store. And that quite a profound effect on the number of users who have the app installed, rising from about 10.000 (slowly build up over the course of many months) to > 100.000 in a couple of days... I suppose Joe has seen a pretty dramatic increase in API calls.

Case
beers 300 º places 21 º 08:51 Thu 7/12/2012

The app is awesome and getting better and better. Great work!

I would just like to apologize for the huge amount of one-star reviews you’re getting from my fellow German compatriots. People see the Play Store promotion and think they will get an app where they can rate Becks vs. Heineken and get recommendations for beer that tastes even more like water.

For your amusement:
- People there think Russian Imperial Stout must come from Russia and that ratebeer is dominated by russian users.
- They think the site must be full of drunkards and frat boys since all top-rated beers have high alcohol content.
- Their idea of American beer is Bud and Coors, their idea of Belgian beer is of sweet beer mixed with fruit juice. Ironically that’s exactly what they have at home with the German industry constantly releasing new chemically flavoured grapefruit and lemon beers.

It’s kind of sad really...

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:31 Thu 7/12/2012

I’ve realized my "re-rate" and all that only shows up on beers that I rate on the app. Then if I go back to the beer, it’s there. If I just click a beer I rated before I had the app - nothing.

Regardless, still awesome!

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 06:28 Wed 7/18/2012

First of all, thank you very much for this awesome app! It works extremely well for almost everything I want to do. Two things seem to be out of function though. First, when I answer beermail with my phone it never makes its way out. I can read them just fine but can’t answer them, it’s as if it can never finish loading. Second is adding barcode info, does it take a certain time to upload? I add it and then it still doesn’t appear in the database.

Thanks again,

Julien

symmetric
beers 71 º 08:41 Thu 7/19/2012

A really big feature that is missing from the app is the want/have feature from the site (i.e. linking into the "beer cellar" feature).

I’d really like to be able to create a beer want-list on the web, or when drinking in the pub, and have it with me when I next happen to be at my local beer store.

(This feature is very hard to use on the website as well; I only just figured out that you can only add beers from the search page. There should be a big button to add beers to the cellar from each beer’s page, too).

SPDickerman
beers 1239 º places 95 º 21:52 Thu 7/19/2012

so, I have the app, and it "runs" but I can’t seem to sign in to RateBeer from it. It just keeps loading, and loading, and loading when I put in my username and password. What’s up with that?

SPDickerman
beers 1239 º places 95 º 22:07 Thu 7/19/2012

Originally posted by symmetric
A really big feature that is missing from the app is the want/have feature from the site (i.e. linking into the "beer cellar" feature).

I’d really like to be able to create a beer want-list on the web, or when drinking in the pub, and have it with me when I next happen to be at my local beer store.

(This feature is very hard to use on the website as well; I only just figured out that you can only add beers from the search page. There should be a big button to add beers to the cellar from each beer’s page, too).

yeah, it took me a while to figure that out too.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 22:21 Thu 7/19/2012

We’ve handled it fairly well I think Erik. Thanks for all your efforts! I apologize I haven’t been as responsive to API related questions lately. We see some good suggestions here so that’s likely to change.

Also, I have the same issue again of the app reading my beermail automatically. This marks items as read and so I get a lot (more) messages where someone asks, "Did you get my last beermail?"