Ratebeerian Spotlight and other changes.

Reads 17556 • Replies 207 • Started Friday, July 24, 2015 12:44:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 09:17 Sat 9/12/2015

Originally posted by Erlangernick
"Map a city" box doesn’t seem to work. And where are the animated gif smiley things?

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 09:23 Sat 9/12/2015

"Map a city" box doesn’t seem to work. And where are the animated gif smiley things?

I have been wondering where the gifs are also and Just figured out you have to press the blue format button just above the text box.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4585 º 09:27 Sat 9/12/2015

Originally posted by Travlr

yeah, that’s always been hit or miss. It’s my most used feature, I think, when it works.

Don’t remember it ever NOT working before the "improvements" to the website.

The Print City Map is the feature that’s hit or miss. Worked about 2/3 of the time before the new changes, and seems to be about that frequency now.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 10:17 Sat 9/12/2015

yeah, that’s always been hit or miss. It’s my most used feature, I think, when it works.

Don’t remember it ever NOT working before the "improvements" to the website.

The Print City Map is the feature that’s hit or miss. Worked about 2/3 of the time before the new changes, and seems to be about that frequency now.

Yeah, it’s been like that for a long time. And it’s been reported as a bug many times. It’s nothing to do with the layout changes.

From what I can tell, it seems to be broken by many things in the city name. That includes, but may not be limited to, any special characters, accents or punctuation. Most annoyingly, it also includes any spaces. So any city with a two (or more) word name won’t map.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 12:29 Sat 9/12/2015

hawthorne00
beers 8462 º places 63 º 08:26 Sun 10/4/2015

A while ago when things were being rejigged to be on a new server there was a good example of change management:

It was announced (maybe even stickied a bit ahead of time) that it was going to happen and the site would be down for a little while. A bit of an explanation - not details or back and forth about what exactly the changes would be and why and how - of how it was something that was worthwhile to do was posted. And an idea about how long it would take. And a "you know things can go wrong, we appreciate your patience, we’ll update you if anything takes a lot longer than we thought".

That was good change management. It managed expectations. It brought people on board with the process. It told people it would be OK soon. It reassured people that competent people were at work doing useful stuff.

Now, months into this process, someone’s fiddled with the appearance of the buttons on the stats pages and now nothing works. More pages don’t display properly in several (current) browsers. Was it tested? Is it temporary? Do they know it doesn’t work? When will all this be over? Will there be new features (such as the fine stats pages that have been available for more than a year but aren’t linked to via the stats pages) or is this _just_ an attempt to make the site look more modern?

And there is nothing about this in Site News.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 07:30 Thu 10/8/2015

New message notifications seem to be working again. Anyone else see this?

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 07:34 Thu 10/8/2015

Originally posted by Homer321

It seems better, but it still misses a few.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 08:42 Thu 10/8/2015

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Originally posted by Homer321

It seems better, but it still misses a few.

Before I was getting the notification about 10% of the time, so it appears to be a LOT better as of today. The biggest problem (for me) before was group messages not getting the notification.

Jow
beers 7344 º places 487 º 10:18 Thu 10/8/2015

when i click my countries stat page the world gets cut off somewhere in mid Russia so i can’t see any eastern asia/australia/new zealand part of the world.