RBSG ’08 Date

Reads 5180 • Replies 52 • Started Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:40:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hellomynameis
beers 877 º places 30 º 09:26 Wed 11/14/2007

I like KP’s idea. If we can count on a single weekend each year it can make it much easier for the proposing cities to nail stuff down with hotels and other venues before they make their bid. It was very difficult for us to not only come up with a weekend, but also try to find a venue that had space available and could meet our time and booze requirements.

However, any weekend works for me so I’m comforatable with whatever you all decide.

DYCSoccer17
beers 3746 º places 344 º 09:39 Wed 11/14/2007

Originally posted by hellomynameis
I like KP’s idea. If we can count on a single weekend each year it can make it much easier for the proposing cities to nail stuff down with hotels and other venues before they make their bid. It was very difficult for us to not only come up with a weekend, but also try to find a venue that had space available and could meet our time and booze requirements.

However, any weekend works for me so I’m comforatable with whatever you all decide.

This is a great idea in theory, but it just won’t work with the RBSG. As craft beer continues its growth and popularity, more annual EPIC, can’t-miss beer festivals will continue to pop up. Belgium Comes to Cooperstown and Bistro’s Barrel-Aged Fest are two epic festivals that have been around no more than 3 years. If we have a static RBSG date every year, there’s a chance in the future that one of these killer fests will evolve on the date of RBSG.

Either way, there is never a date that is perfect for every person every year. It sucks, but there will ALWAYS be people who miss out on RBSG due to prior commitments.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 10:12 Wed 11/14/2007

Originally posted by kp
Originally posted by after4ever
Originally posted by kp
I like June 21st for this and every upcoming RBSG. I like the idea of finding a good date that does not conflict with any other major event and sticking with it every year.

Father’s Day?

That may be the one day a year that some men would be allowed to get out of the house and go drink beer.

Father’s Day is the third Sunday of June, which means Sunday, June 15th in 2008. But I think setting a regular date for RBSG could cause problems like Casey has outlined, and specifically setting it for June 21st of every year will cause a direct conflict in all three of the years from 2009, 2010, and 2011. So yeah, bad idea. I think there’s no way you’ll GET as many people who have that as "the one day a year that [they] would be allowed to get out of the house and go drink beer" as you’ll LOSE because they’d rather spend the time with their families.

But I still don’t like the June weekend for 2008 even though there’s no conflict with Father’s Day, and I think I would lean towards the July 26th proposed weekend or one of the first two weekends in August, depending on how many people might be hoping to attend Mammoth. It seems silly to schedule the RBSG on a date when even some LOCALS can’t make it.

I think the best thing this thread can contribute is a list of dates and events that John has not come up with, like the inclusion of Mammoth now to look out for. Other dates for events that are not in the San Diego area are important to avoid direct conflicts, but I would think that a lot of them (such as BCTC and GTMW) are mostly regional (however awesome they are, and however willing I personally would be to travel cross-country to partake), and being even just one weekend away won’t put a huge damper on travel plans for a lot of people, because the RBSG will be the big obligation and investment of time and money as far as planning goes, and the other events are more things that the locals will go to no matter what (as long as there is no direct conflict).

So are there any other festivals or big events from other areas that have been omitted?

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 10:22 Wed 11/14/2007

And it should be said-- it’s probably good to get a list of like 2 or 3 dates that are about equally favorable among the crowd here, with the least conflict among the general RB population. We can then take those dates (ideally with one target preference) and ask the brewers and publicans who we are planning to include in the itinerary if those dates work for them. There are many conflicting schedules, and we obviously can’t fit in with everybody’s travel plans, but we should hope to include as much of the itinerary as possible and work within the personal and professional obligations that our hosts already have planned.

arjoseph
beers 642 º places 33 º 13:46 Wed 11/14/2007

I would vote for something either in June or early August. As I said before, late July is the bar exam for law students becoming lawyers; it will always be that way.

AllAboutStout
beers 605 º places 30 º 12:14 Thu 11/15/2007

Originally posted by arjoseph
I would vote for something either in June or early August. As I said before, late July is the bar exam for law students becoming lawyers; it will always be that way.

I would second the June or August dates and not July. I work in finance and in months after quarter end,(January, April, July, October) they are booked solid for the month with client meetings.

Cheers!

lb4lb
beers 2659 º places 27 º 12:16 Thu 11/15/2007

I vote what nobody has voted for yet.

footbalm
beers 1219 º places 76 º 12:51 Thu 11/15/2007

Any day that will allow me to leave Utah would be greatly appreciated.

biggcb
beers 464 º places 29 º 12:56 Thu 11/15/2007

I would say any weekend in August.

pantanap
beers 3367 º places 1 º 13:10 Thu 11/15/2007

Originally posted by biggcb
I would say any weekend in August.

my vote would be any weekend in august except the weekend of the 2nd (but that’s just me)