RBSG ’08 Date

Reads 5179 • Replies 52 • Started Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:40:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

wetherel
beers 6424 º places 691 º 11:40 Tue 11/13/2007

When should we have RBSG ’08?

Here are some guesses on dates we should avoid. (I took 2007 RB Events calendar as estimate). Does anyone have anymore accurate information?

May 3rd (or 10th): Lost Abbey Anniversary (and possible CdT release) (and 2nd Great International Spring Beer Festival - Providence)
(Hair of the Dog Fred Fest - Portland)
May 10th: Open
May 17th Open
May 24th: Open
May 31st: Noogfest IV - Chattanooga
June 7th: 10th Annual Pizza Port Real Ale Festival - Carlsbad
June 14: American Beer Fest-Boston and other Brewer Festivals
June 21st: Open (same date as last years RBSG)
June 26st: RBESG08 - Pilsen
July 4th/5th:
July 12th: American Beer & BBQ Fest - Toronto
Jul 19th: Belgium Comes To Cooperstown 2007
July 26st: Original Proposal
August 2nd: Open
August 9th: Great British Beer Festival - London, Toronado 20th Anniversary - San Francisco

See the San Diego forum topic( http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76778&whichpage=11 )for more info. I’m just moving the discussion to the main forum.

Ughsmash
beers 7502 º places 138 º 11:47 Tue 11/13/2007

July 26.

Originally posted by wetherel
When should we have RBSG ’08?

Here are some guesses on dates we should avoid. (I took 2007 RB Events calendar as estimate). Does anyone have anymore accurate information?

May 3rd (or 10th): Lost Abbey Anniversary (and possible CdT release) (and 2nd Great International Spring Beer Festival - Providence)
(Hair of the Dog Fred Fest - Portland)
May 10th: Open
May 17th Open
May 24th: Open
May 31st: Noogfest IV - Chattanooga
June 7th: 10th Annual Pizza Port Real Ale Festival - Carlsbad
June 14: American Beer Fest-Boston and other Brewer Festivals
June 21st: Open (same date as last years RBSG)
June 26st: RBESG08 - Pilsen
July 4th/5th:
July 12th: American Beer & BBQ Fest - Toronto
Jul 19th: Belgium Comes To Cooperstown 2007
July 26st: Original Proposal
August 2nd: Open
August 9th: Great British Beer Festival - London, Toronado 20th Anniversary - San Francisco

See the San Diego forum topic( http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76778&whichpage=11 )for more info. I’m just moving the discussion to the main forum.

mwsf
beers 361 º places 3 º 11:48 Tue 11/13/2007

Unless we’ve entered a time warp, I don’t think the Toronado will celebrate their 20th anniversary on Aug 9th again in 2008.

mwsf
beers 361 º places 3 º 11:51 Tue 11/13/2007

Also, May 10th is the Anderson Valley Boont Beer Fest in 2008.

And June 21st is the National Homebrewer’s Conference, although I’m not sure there’s a ton of overlap with people who would attend that fest and people who would attend the RBSG.

argo0
beers 14125 º places 277 º 12:07 Tue 11/13/2007

I vote August 2.

The weekend of July 26 is the weekend of the 2008 Oregon Brewers Fest. For 2007, that weekend was also the weekend of the Michigan Brewers Guild Festival and the State College Brew Expo, neither of which seems to have its announcement for 2008 up yet.

kp
beers 10877 º places 12 º 12:12 Tue 11/13/2007

I like June 21st for this and every upcoming RBSG. I like the idea of finding a good date that does not conflict with any other major event and sticking with it every year.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 12:14 Tue 11/13/2007

Originally posted by kp
I like June 21st for this and every upcoming RBSG. I like the idea of finding a good date that does not conflict with any other major event and sticking with it every year.

Father’s Day?

kp
beers 10877 º places 12 º 12:19 Tue 11/13/2007

Originally posted by after4ever
Originally posted by kp

Father’s Day?

That may be the one day a year that some men would be allowed to get out of the house and go drink beer.

DarkElf
beers 3497 º 22:14 Tue 11/13/2007

As a general rule, I don’t think RBSG should be immediately before or after a major beer gathering that draws people from all over the country. It’s much better to schedule it close to a festival that is mostly big for that specific region. And I think this is especially true if the two events are in completely different parts of the country because almost no one could attend both unless they lived very close to one of the two cities.

May 17th seems perfect because the weekends before AND after having nothing listed. But I don’t want it that soon. Besides, we’ll be in the thick of May Gray/June Gloom here in San Diego (which is my favorite time of year here, but not so for visitors).

So I’m with Argo. I think August 2nd works well because the festivals before and after this weekend are on the west coast and tend to be mostly regional draws (at least that is my perception). And we NEVER get rain here in August...

Also, I don’t think a permanent date is wise because the circumstances will be different each year, and the city we choose is a critical part of the equation.

zug4abby
beers 288 º places 7 º 08:47 Wed 11/14/2007

Originally posted by DarkElf
As a general rule, I don’t think RBSG should be immediately before or after a major beer gathering that draws people from all over the country. It’s much better to schedule it close to a festival that is mostly big for that specific region. And I think this is especially true if the two events are in completely different parts of the country because almost no one could attend both unless they lived very close to one of the two cities.

May 17th seems perfect because the weekends before AND after having nothing listed. But I don’t want it that soon. Besides, we’ll be in the thick of May Gray/June Gloom here in San Diego (which is my favorite time of year here, but not so for visitors).

So I’m with Argo. I think August 2nd works well because the festivals before and after this weekend are on the west coast and tend to be mostly regional draws (at least that is my perception). And we NEVER get rain here in August...

Also, I don’t think a permanent date is wise because the circumstances will be different each year, and the city we choose is a critical part of the equation.

I know that every year we make the trip from San Diego to Mammoth for the Mammoth Festival of Beers and Bluesapalooza which always takes place the first weekend of August (and is scheduled for August 1 & 2 in 2008). Additionally, many of the local brewers make the trip as well!!

scraff
beers 2125 º places 10 º 09:12 Wed 11/14/2007

I’m in for June 21...if this is some kind of vote here. Father’s Day is the weekend before no? Aug. 2 gets into prime time summer family vacation mode for a lot of us.