RBWG

Reads 7445 • Replies 132 • Started Sunday, November 20, 2011 6:52:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jenray
places 24 º 18:03 Fri 12/30/2011

OK - I’ve started sending out some emails for quotes on both a 15 passenger van (that’s all they needed last year in Phoenix) and mini bus that holds around 25. We are talking the 24th and 25th of February - right? Were you planning to use the van/bus both days?

jenray
places 24 º 18:24 Fri 12/30/2011

As far as the hotel goes - I’m not from Austin, so maybe that is better left to a local who knows the best parts of town to stay in for something like this. Were you planning to have the Grand Tasting at the hotel or at one of the breweries. That will make a difference as to the type of hotel you look for.

Come on people - some decisions need to be made quick here!

jenray
places 24 º 17:03 Sun 1/1/2012

Ok - I’ve done as much as I can with the info I’ve been given (which is none). It seems the cheapest way to do this is to rent a 15 passenger van from a place like the following:

http://www.cappsvanrental.com/reservations

The rate to rent for two days is $259 + tax. Not sure what all kind of taxes you have in Austin, but if you fill the van, that would probably be around $20 - $25 per person after tax for both days.

For the larger mini buses where they supply the driver, well they were quite expensive, $1,125 for a 12 hour rental. That’s $45/per day if you can fill it.

www.austintours.us/? event=page.charter &p=2&ctt_id=1734663&c tt_adnw=Google&ctt _ch=ps&ctt_entity= tc&ctt_cli=11x23045x 69382x512607&ctt_k w=austin%20bus%20r ental&ctt_adid=6999880812& ctt_nwtype=search &gclid=CMOxntCcq60C FUZjTAodSDBIPw

Much cheaper to rent the smaller van (or multiple vans), but the drawback is you would need a designated driver.

I guess one of the organizers (are there any?) can take it from here.

Walt
beers 2449 º places 189 º 12:09 Mon 1/2/2012

I got a rate in Round Rock at a hotel for $59/night if we wanted to be that far out. The hotel is walking distance to Flix and HomeField Grill...but again, I’m the only thing out this far but there isn’t a lot of walking distance anything.

THoughts guys?

KAggie97
beers 3529 º places 220 º 14:54 Mon 1/2/2012

Originally posted by Walt
I got a rate in Round Rock at a hotel for $59/night if we wanted to be that far out. The hotel is walking distance to Flix and HomeField Grill...but again, I’m the only thing out this far but there isn’t a lot of walking distance anything.

THoughts guys?

Round Rock is about, what, 30 minutes from the center of Austin?

Walt
beers 2449 º places 189 º 19:24 Mon 1/2/2012

Something like. Depends on what you call the "heart" and how you get there.

Walt
beers 2449 º places 189 º 10:15 Tue 1/3/2012

This is the place. http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-round_rock-texas-TXE40

I went to their ribbon cutting last year and, having lived in a hotel for 2 years, this is certainly outside of the brand Sleep Inn. Rooms are smallish, but the place is awesome. Again, downside with the cheap rate comes outside of Austin.

I went to their ribbon cutting last year and, having lived in a hotel for 2 years, this is certainly outside of the brand Sleep Inn. Rooms are smallish, but the place is awesome. Again, downside with the cheap rate comes outside of Austin.

Well if we have a van for both days would the location of the hotel really matter that much?

What are the chances of having the grand tasting at one of your venues?

Originally posted by jenray
Ok - I’ve done as much as I can with the info I’ve been given (which is none). It seems the cheapest way to do this is to rent a 15 passenger van from a place like the following:

http://www.cappsvanrental.com/reservations

The rate to rent for two days is $259 + tax. Not sure what all kind of taxes you have in Austin, but if you fill the van, that would probably be around $20 - $25 per person after tax for both days.

For the larger mini buses where they supply the driver, well they were quite expensive, $1,125 for a 12 hour rental. That’s $45/per day if you can fill it.

www.austintours.us/? event=page.charter &p=2&ctt_id=1734663&c tt_adnw=Google&ctt _ch=ps&ctt_entity= tc&ctt_cli=11x23045x 69382x512607&ctt_k w=austin%20bus%20r ental&ctt_adid=6999880812& ctt_nwtype=search &gclid=CMOxntCcq60C FUZjTAodSDBIPw

Much cheaper to rent the smaller van (or multiple vans), but the drawback is you would need a designated driver.

I guess one of the organizers (are there any?) can take it from here.

Thanks for the footwork!!

Walt
beers 2449 º places 189 º 11:14 Tue 1/3/2012

Originally posted by ericandersnavy

Well if we have a van for both days would the location of the hotel really matter that much?

What are the chances of having the grand tasting at one of your venues?

Slim. HomeField has a mixed beverage permit, so not legal.

Flix, OTOH has the brewpub and regular BG beer and wine permit. So BYOB is legal there...but for me to close an auditorium down on a Friday or Saturday night...let’s just say we can’t afford it.

The hotel does have a conference room that, IIRC, holds 30-50 which I bet I can get on the cheap.